Santa Maria (RhB) -

warbonnetuk

• RMweb Premium

All the best with the show, be interested to hear how the wires go. Have some fine and thicker Sommerfeldt to play with but not at that stage yet.

On 19/04/2019 at 19:27, PaulRhB said:

I used the heavier gauge Sommerfeldt, just for robustness on an exhibition layout, and painted it grey/green to minimise the visual impact. You could use the finer Sommerfeldt but it needs proper tensioning or it flexes a lot as trains pass. That just makes the joints a bit more of a challenge. With the heavier wire I just curled the ends so they clipped in across baseboard joints. 

Anchoring/heavy tension at both ends definitely helps with keeping the wires taught, but can lead to wire creep with soldered overhead where the registration arm needs resetting in position after everything is tensioned, and I'm not sure how you'd get around this with Sommerfeldt Catenary as the wire positions are fixed outright,

Another trick is to decrease the spring tension in the pantographs by flattening or stretching a few coils to make the spring weaker, the force on even the real things isn't that strong and in model form you only need enough to keep the pantograph head against the wire.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

With just a few days to go before Dans layout has its first outing I have been giving him a hand. Still plenty to do but at least the main building is just about complete apart from the chimney name boards and ancilliary bits. Dan will have a busy night and final day installing the OLE since being test fitted then painted, plus more foliage including trees so the photos will be history since taking these this afternoon. The lighting pelmet of mine has been test fitted to the layout ready for the weekend. Dan will be building his after the show when he has more time to do so.

Come see the layout at Rotarail this Saturday if you wish to see how the layout will have changed after today.

20190425_155107.jpg

20190425_152438.jpg

20190425_152427.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looks very smart. Nice to see we're not the only ones trying to get the layout looking presentable for Rotarail. Looking forward to seeing it 'in the flesh' so to speak.

Our 'Inspired by Friedrichstrasse' is another debuting layout at the show.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

does the van have sound in it?

We were only talking today of t cows with bells on a Swiss layout:rolleyes:

No it’s full of chocolate and I’ve not heard, (or in the cows case herd!), It make any noise. That tends to happen when the operators eat it :laugh_mini:

• Funny 3

Knocked off for the night after fixing some scenic issues, cleaning track and putting in the centenary masts (bolted only).

Main bugbear today has been the Peco /WWS static grass glue drying gloss for a second occasion. It's been hidden as much as possible but its prob needs a rework after this weekend and once I've got a fresh supply of Woodland Scenics glues and the Peco stuff is going on the bin.

Jobs for tomorrow is to link up and programme the servos for the uncouplers, have a last hoover up and test run the layout before boxing up

20190425_212754.jpg

• Like 10

15 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Of course he must get one of these :lol:

21A7CC9D-A673-48D2-A294-3418E56EC1DB.jpeg.17070052c50f13a4b4177b970611d961.jpeg

What, a cow with Milka branding on its side?... 

I'll get my coat...

(If you're saying the wagon comes full of chocolate, please tell me there's a G gauge version available.)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I'll get my coat...

(If you're saying the wagon comes full of chocolate, please tell me there's a G gauge version available.)

Cant to Milka but can do crème eggs etc in G:rolleyes:

20190426_092756.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I'll get my coat...

Never seen a G scale one but I have the Milka van in HOm and Om ;) 

Might have the correct chocolate though . . . .

if it lasts till tomorrow . . . 

• Like 4

Had a great day at Rotarail and thanks to Chris for the invitation. As to be expected from its first show outing there a number of issues on the snag list to be addressed on track and stock running plus the remain work required on the overhead wires, signals, backscenes and small details

So thanks to Paul for the advice and Milka and Ian for his assistance over the last couple of weeks

20190427_140618.jpg

20190427_154217.jpg

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

With a combo of work and the kids being on their summer hols the long list of jobs for Santa Maria before it's trip to Warley had taken a bit of a backseat.

With my wife's Beetle convertible replaced I now have the whole double garage to myself so the layout has been partially set up to work on. First up are the electrical / DCC issues identified at Rotarail. Firstly all the fiddleyard points have had their frogs isolated and rails bonded to combat shorting. Secondly all the 2nd gen DCC Concepts point decoders have had the centring feature disabled and then reprogrammed. Latest job to be completed is re-rigging the four servo driven uncoupling ramps, swapping out one stripped motor and then setting the actuator arm throws on the Digikeijs DR4024 servo decoder.

Uncoupler ramp in action

Next up are a couple of points that the little shunting tractor doesnt like then it's catenary wire time!!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Dose of man-flu had swept the household in the last week so 2 sickly kids and myself nit 100% has dented progress. Despite that gantries masts continue to get prepped for anchor points amd tensioners. Also I've pushed on with the rail served warehouse with the roof being added along with the majority of the loading bay. The blue sections visible are the Wilko cheapo Lego-style bricks used to make a supporting shell for the building

20191104_231448.jpg

• Like 8