Witney Euston

mitziblue

• RMweb Gold

Agreed - the building has character and the small details really set it off - I am sure once you have bedded it in the platform you will feel a lot better about it - Keep up the good work Mark.

Hi

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys nearly on to my forth week on the quitting front and from past attempts I know my patience should come back soon. The building is now hacked in to the platform and apart from the cattle docks it's only small jobs left to do before it snows. I will rebuild the station building but not until after the expo, plenty of other jobs to do in the meantime.

Mark :)

I quite like it, I'm particularly impressed with the brick work on the chimneys. Very crisp and the colours are spot on, how was this achieved?

Cheers,

Bryn

Sorry Bryn

Didn't mean to ignore you. The chimneys are made from embossed plasticard painted first in a light brick colour and then a darker shade was mottled in while the paint was still wet. when all was dry single bricks were picked out in reds, browns and even blues. This was achieved again with a fountain pen (have no idea how i coped before i got one) :) Finally the building had a light dusting of a brown,grey.

Work has come almost to a standstill this week. First getting extremely drunk on Friday night and needing all day Saturday to recover and most of today wrote off due to work. Have managed a few wagon loads thou so not a total write off.

Mark :mellow:

The chimneys are made from embossed plasticard painted first in a light brick colour and then a darker shade was mottled in while the paint was still wet. when all was dry single bricks were picked out in reds, browns and even blues. This was achieved again with a fountain pen (have no idea how i coped before i got one) smile.gif Finally the building had a light dusting of a brown,grey.

Thanks for that Mark. How do you used the fountain pen? Inks? Dip it in paints? I'm quite intrigued with this idea now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Progress on the layout has ground to a halt over the last couple of weeks,which has not worried me as this happens every now and then and I know enthusiasm will re spark before long. ;)

Never seem to stop modelling completely and have been getting on with a few private owner wagons(more about them another day)also the first of the chassis for my 6 wheel coaching stock.

post-7093-12655347561246_thumb.jpg

Now these little beauties are S&D 31' six wheel stock supplied by Worsley works.this gives you the basic body,roof and ends add to this a Fencehouse Foundry 6 wheel clemison chassis(which makes up into a fully articulated and compensated chassis that even a numpty like me can put together).

Next axle boxes were added which were spare from wagon chassis etches,white metal springs which had to be trimmed down, running boards were formed from .3mm brass wire and offcuts from etches and finally an impression of the brake rigging was added again brass wire,offcuts and a brass vacume brake cylinder.

All in all this has taken a couple of weeks to achieve but I have enjoyed all the various stages and look forward to doing the other three.post-7093-12655358509042_thumb.jpg

Mark :D

The coaches look good, Mark :icon_thumbsup2: though I wish they did them in 4mm as well :icon_rolleyes:

As we all know, it's a long-established fact on RMweb that almost everything ran over the S&DJR at some time :icon_wink: It's less widely known that the prussian blue livery was seen all over the Midland...

By the way, you may upset some folk from up north by calling it the S&D. They seem to think the initials have something to do with an old coal line somewhere up there :D

Nick

Hi Mark

great carriage! I'm working on some Bill Bedford 6-wheelers at the minute. Interesting to see the Fencehouses cleminson chassis utilised. Could I ask what you used for the springs? Everything available 'off the shelf' seems to be about 8ft long in 1:152.

Hi Mark

great carriage! I'm working on some Bill Bedford 6-wheelers at the minute. Interesting to see the Fencehouses cleminson chassis utilised. Could I ask what you used for the springs? Everything available 'off the shelf' seems to be about 8ft long in 1:152.

Hi

Thanks I'm glad you like

I must admit the springs I used have been in my parts box for a while weather or not this was what I bought them for or not I can't recall but like you say these were also too long so they were simply trimmed down and unless scrutinized is very hard to tell.

A few people had suggested using the fencehouse chassis to me and when Bob showed me one at last years A G M I must admit I was taken a back at how well they work. Construction is straight forward and the instructions are simple to follow making the whole experience a joy.

Added one more photo showing the chassis a bit clearer.

post-7093-12656578274054_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark,

Fantastic carriages - the underframe really does look superb. Did the solebars come as part of the body etch, or did you have to make them yourself?

I'm pleased that you posted a photo of the underneath of the coach - I have a Fence Houses Cleminson chassis to put together to go under an Etched Pixels LBSCR coach and this has really inspired me to make a start on it.

In response to Forward!'s query, I note that Ultima models have different sizes of axlebox/spring in stock now - some of these might be suitable.

Andy

Fantastic carriages - the underframe really does look superb. Did the solebars come as part of the body etch, or did you have to make them yourself?

Hi Andy

The coach builds into what you see in the photo minus grab rails and handles, roof vents and piping and of course the buffers. All the running boards and hangers are scraps of brass.

post-7093-1265820481462_thumb.jpg

Also added a photo of the second chassis I put together yesterday morning before work. Now I'm sure your get started :D

post-7093-12658205327023_thumb.jpg

One other thing if your using patches to help give up smoking take them off before bed, or like me your have a bad night sleep and find yourself up and modelling at five in the morning. :)

Thanks Mark - the coaches I have don't include the solebars, so I'll have to make some from some brass or nickel strip. They'll be fairly well hidden by the footboards anyway.

I did a double-take when I read your comment about building the chassis before going to work - I'd struggle to make a complete chassis in an evening, let along before work! Then I read the comment under the second photo which explained it a bit more.biggrin.gif

Andy smile.gif

Hi All

Have to admit there was a small reality check for me this week when I saw layouts confirmed for the 2010 expo on the events page of the 2mm association now includes Witney - Euston (Mark Cox). Ok names seems to of got lost in translation but it's there, and now I know there's a fair bit of work to get done over the next few months.

Bearing this all in mind I have done my usual trick and ignored the layout and done something more fun instead ;) .Apart from the coaches being built I have been building up a rake of 7 plank RCH wagons from 1907. Can some kind soul please tell me what RCH stands for I haven't a clue and probably using them for the wrong purpose :unsure: . Either way they are now my coal wagons for the local merchant. I have used the same transfers I previously drew up and now that the printer inks are all full they printed fine. Once I was sure the ink had dried a satin varnish from an artist shop was applied and again allowed to dry.

When I apply transfers I wet them on a sponge this helps to keep the face of the transfer dry while wetting down the backing paper avoiding the ink running as the varnish isn't 100% safe.

Transfers are applied rubbed in and again dried. Matt back paint was brushed on overlapping the transfer as close as I could to the lettering and once all dry I weathered the wagons down. the chassis is as usual a 2mm etched kit which I am sure I could build with my eyes closed the amount I have built lately. :)

Will model 3 full of coal and 4 empties there are another seven body shells left as I did not read them as being twin packs :icon_frustrated: so I will take the opportunity to build some wacky liveries for the others, no doubt beer orientated :icon_e_smile: .

post-7093-12661438306172_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That's looking nice Mark.

Yep, saw your layout confirmed in print...when I read it, I felt a tinge of sadness for my own withdrawal but a spark of excitement to be able to see this layout for real. Roll on July ;)

Good luck and keep up the good work :icon_thumbsup2:

Pete

The wagons look great. I wish I could get home-printed lettering to sit down over the detail as well as that! I think the fact I'm using quite cheap transfer paper that doesnt stick without diluted PVA glue is maybe a factor.

btw, RCH stands for 'Railway Clearing House', the UK's central authority for mediating cross-company fares, and later for setting technical standards in rolling stock to promote standardisation. A 1907 RCH wagon was one built to comply with the 1907 standards issued to all railway companies and Private-owner wagon builders. It replaced the first set of 1887 standards and was suceeded by the 1923 standard. Amongst a few other things mainly relating to brakes, the 1907 standard introduced a standard 16' length. I am sure someone on here would be able to talk at great length on the matter but there was a super set of articles in RM a few years ago detailing the development of the P/O wagon which very usefully talked about how long it took for all these standards to be adopted, and the 40 years or so it took for some earlier standards to become totally extinct.

Until I built an 1887, 1907 and then 1923 private owner wagon (all 2mm assoc kits- and in my opinion now the most important they offer to the 2mm modeller- we'd really be screwed without them) I used to think it would never be noticeable in this scale what RCH type was utilised on a pre-group layout. But the differences in general dimensions is really very noticeable in this scale, and I now promise NEVER to use a 1923 RCH wagon on a pre-group layout! (That said, I find 1923 p/o wagons very useful for bashing in to GCR diagram 7 5-plank wagons, which are almost identical in overall dimensions. I'm sure others have done the same with other Railway Co's.)

It really goes to show just what sort of modelling 2mm scale can offer!

cheers for the continued posting of progress on the layout.

Will

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pictures of the Cleminson guess who first lost the instruction ( thanks Bob for the quick reply) and then b$gg$red up the folding your photos have helped show where (prior to snaping the fold) I went wrong. Great progress and your wagons put mine to shame ho hum still the name of my blog is itado

Will the 1907 type was also built in numbers for the SECR as to getting transfers to adhere MICRO SOL products make them take up the detail I just cant get the colours to match on home printed sides

Just a quick note re making lveries for the other wagons. If you go to a local studies library and look at a trade directory from the period you'll get a good idea what sort of companies were around at that date. f you're lucky post 1900 directories might include some illustrated advertisments with company logos etc. That said, a rake of 'Wychwood' wagons would be cool....:wacko:

Hi Pete

Glad you approve of the wagons must admit this is what I enjoy doing mostly now. So sorry your layout wont be there but as i said before your more than welcome to have a play and don't forget to bring an engine or two along if they are dcc and have a play with Bobs big one. that doesn't sound quite right but you know what I mean :lol:

The wagons look great. I wish I could get home-printed lettering to sit down over the detail as well as that! I think the fact I'm using quite cheap transfer paper that doesnt stick without diluted PVA glue is maybe a factor.

Evening Will

Don't think there's anything special with the transfer paper I use just bought the cheapest one off the tinternet. Like Nick said there are fluids to aid transfer adhesion the one I use is Humbrol decalfix which also softens the transfer.I tend to let the transfer sit on the decalfix for a minute or two then roll a cotton bud across to press the transfer in, as long as you roll the bud the transfer stays where put.

RCH wagons. Does this actually mean I got the right wagons all on my own, that's the first time some thing's gone right first time on this layout. :lol:

I just cant get the colours to match on home printed sides

Nick

The way I got the colour right on my latest offering was to paint the side and the strapping of the wagon in the finished colour first then scan this into the computer. after this I used coral draw to add the words and logo. It was just a matter of adjusting the saturation on the printer settings to get the shade to match right on the final transfer.

That said, a rake of 'Wychwood' wagons would be cool....

You read my mind I hope people don't think I just live for beer it's just a Thursday night thing to help the dart throwing hand you know :)

But i have been having a play tonight and this is what I have come up with so far.

post-7093-126618625159_thumb.jpg

Mark, I have been following W-E for some time with interest.

Just a couple of questions, if I may:

As a matter of interest, which couplings are you using on your rolling stock?

What materials did you use to create your static grass - was it a home made zapper?

Lastly, are you Worsley Clerestories the Lavatory or corridor set?

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Glad you approve of the wagons must admit this is what I enjoy doing mostly now. So sorry your layout wont be there but as i said before your more than welcome to have a play and don't forget to bring an engine or two along if they are dcc and have a play with Bobs big one. that doesn't sound quite right but you know what I mean :lol:

Hey Mark - I think I get your drift - that would be Bob's 9F..........unfortunately or fortunately all my locos are blue boxes ;) and are not DCC but I would still welcome the chance to run a few trains on WE. Thanks again - Pete

Until I built an 1887, 1907 and then 1923 private owner wagon (all 2mm assoc kits- and in my opinion now the most important they offer to the 2mm modeller- we'd really be screwed without them) I used to think it would never be noticeable in this scale what RCH type was utilised on a pre-group layout. But the differences in general dimensions is really very noticeable in this scale, and I now promise NEVER to use a 1923 RCH wagon on a pre-group layout! (That said, I find 1923 p/o wagons very useful for bashing in to GCR diagram 7 5-plank wagons, which are almost identical in overall dimensions. I'm sure others have done the same with other Railway Co's.)

I think that the RCH 1923 spec was a formalisation of the design of 12 ton wagons that were already being built - the Charles Roberts 12 tonners being built before WW1 were pretty much the same, so you're probably ok to use 1923 type wagons for those, at least the seven-plank wagons. I think the eight-plank design may belater.

As a matter of interest, which couplings are you using on your rolling stock?

What materials did you use to create your static grass - was it a home made zapper?

Lastly, are you Worsley Clerestories the Lavatory or corridor set?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

DG couplings are the ones I prefer to use, they couple to B&B and are capable of delayed uncoupling. I chemically blacken them while still on the fret which prevents me soldering the loop solid and I epoxy them to the chassis. Also now wind the loop wire onto the bending jig on my lathe as this was the one job I did not enjoy. Fixed rakes of coaches have DGs either end and hook and loop couplings in the centre my latest batch of wagons are still waiting to have there couplings attached.

The static grass is mainly woodland scenic static grass flock light green also used some Noch and there was one other brand which Missy maybe able to enlighten you on as i don't have it at the mo but was very impressed with. This was all laid on a burnt earth scatter again Woodland scenic s.

Yes it is a home made zapper tea strainer from Tesco fly bat from Maplins no upgrade to the circuit but still find it has the power to stop my heart when I don't watch myself with it(wife and kids are scared to death of it :lol: )

The Worsley works coaches are corridor set have not found corridor connectors to go on them yet. do ultima do any?

Hey Mark - I think I get your drift - that would be Bob's 9F

Close Pete

ON the fencehouse blog Bob has said if your dcc engines pass his test track and loading gauge you may stretch there legs on the Fencehouse layout.

Hi All

I do admire all you people who collect and research information on your prototype model for years before beginning and only use the correct engines and stock. I'm afraid that isn't me,jump in with both feet and get on with it while I'm still interested and as for rolling stock, that went out the window before the base boards were started.

So what am I up to now,still looking at the station board but not doing much. Time is running out fast and not a single bush laid for weeks. Things are not all bad thou, ideas are floating around in my head for finishing details to the board but the latest thing to grab my imagination are private owner wagons, not the ones that would of been floating around the station in 1910 what ever next this is my layout(with Homer Simpson advertising Duff beer on a bill board on the station building and I can't mention what one other says, good job it's 2mm and you can't read it) No the beers I enjoy drinking of course.Fourteen wagon kits were purchased a while ago and I have just ordered another twelve to cover in my own livery and give the layout my own touch.

Tried most of last night and again this morn, will post the pic when I can.

Mark :lol:

Archived