Brixton Hill tram depot and its Trams

thirty2a

Yes, Tony, you are thinking correctly and prototypically!   Model traversers are shallow as we see on railway layouts.   On RNR I was thinking of taking the conduit line from the entrance to the back of the depot because of width limitation of the board with a sliding section to the storage tracks before the line went outside again possibly with a plough change pit for the overhead in the fiddle yard.   I finally decided to leave out the outside section at the rear.   In reality, London had one shallow traverser within the 'overhead' Finchley depot for the Felthams to enter the maintenance bays.   This was a £25,000 extension at the rear with all the then modern facilities - mind you Pick was horrified to have to spend it!!!   My C 045 breakdown car is nearing completion!   Colin.

• 9 months later...

Hi Tony.

It is a long time since the last post on your blog. Any progress with the layout ?

We have been getting our Crystal Palace High Level layout ready for the Bluebell Railway Diamond Jubilee Exhibition which has almost certainly been cancelled. just waiting for the final confirmation. Dave Suart the organiser said that they will probably carry everything over to 2021 with as many of the layouts who are able to come re-invited.

We have also been told by the church where our club meets to discontinue our club nights for the time being, so no progress on anything at the moment.

Finally, Andy from our 'local' model railway shop, Kent Garden Railways, advised yesterday that he was shutting the shop for the duration. So nearly everything is shut down in the near future, although I have plenty of bits to work on at home.

Perhaps once things return to normal, hopefully not too long. you may like to visit us in the clubroom, not too far away in Walworth.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ray, my confirmation this AM from Bluebell that they ceased further operation last night until further notice.   Pleased you commented to prove that I am not the only one still following!!!   I hope our model suppliers will continue their online activities.   I started this period of isolation in getting the necessary items in to continue with my indoor 009 "East Quay" layout based on Camber Sands and, when the weather warms up, to continue laying the tram track for my new "High Road" London Transport conduit tram layout in the garage.

The latest news about the exhibition tram layout "West Croydon" is that following the owner having a further move of house, it has come out of cold storage.   It needs a lot of TLC and this is being worked on.   Hopefully it will be ready for when the UK returns to normal and model shows return.   My own fleet of London tramcars will emerge from storage and be overhaul and new cars finished to suit my own layout as well as for "West Croydon".   So keep washing your hands and singing Happy Birthday for the duration.   All the best, Colin.

Thanks, Ray.   Never throw the used soap away, we keep them and every so often there are enough remains to boil up and make a new bar/s.   Seeing your profile pic, once the garage LT tramline is under way I will also clean up the shelf OO rail line and run my trains based on those prototypes that I used to ride on during WW2 and after between East Croydon and Tunbridge Wells West stations.   Before self isolating, I was going to the latter site to buy my soap!!!   So seeing the H on the motor train again working with 4MTs and DEMUs will be a relief as they too have been boxed away for years in warm storage indoors.   Colin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, not been on for a few weeks working from home and that’s a challenge!

to be honest not done anything with the tram depot been working on the 2 O gauge micros but should probably dust it off and get something running..

got 4 days off over Easter so might be the time, watch this space. Got a few London tram books that need finishing reading to so thanks for the reminder. Would love to come to your club when we are out the other end... literally going out once a week for shopping at the moment.

stay safe guys and I will try to be more sociable 

tony 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, thirty2a said:

Bit worse for ware being stored, nothing some rail welding won’t sort..

let’s see how things progress ..

7C82B254-6FB8-45DE-8C38-6BB2C051F808.jpeg

289A5A70-448B-40BB-AF95-D46825B873F2.jpeg

Hi Tony

i worry that you don't have enough copper clad there.

i know it won't be seen and I know to not a railway...   just thinking about strength and stability, including expansion in the warm weather.  

Can you or others put put my mind at rest

worried of Stafford 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Regarding book reading, I am assured by two knowledgeable sources on London and Leeds, that the only thing new in Peter Waller's Feltham book just released is a view of a Feltham on Sunday service 55 at Brentford in 1935 and that had already seen the light of day in a book about past life in Brentford!!!   So I have saved myself £25 plus postage!!!   Colin.

• Like 1

Morning gents, I would like to put your mind at rest but need to cot some inspection pits so don’t think I can add any more safety to the design, I say design but it’s usual make it up as I go!

i haven’t seen the Felthams book yet will keep an eye out in the future just in case ...

happy Easter by the way might weld  some more track today ..

Refering to Andy's valid point about having more copper clad strips for maintaining gauge, when I have come to doing pits they have been 'sitting pits' painted black as opposed to 'standing pits'!   I used to use plaster of paris and then dental plaster for roadways but found on pit sections the pressure in laying the plaster did slightly distort the gauge.   So I switched to depot floors being balsa wood and being adhered to the outside of the pit rails.   My latest depot is on the 14mm. gauge single track test track and has two pits, each under one tram, so the gauge is held between them using Recreation21 paved sections either end. 

On 21/03/2020 at 15:42, coline33 said:

Ray, my confirmation this AM from Bluebell that they ceased further operation last night until further notice.   Pleased you commented to prove that I am not the only one still following!!!   I hope our model suppliers will continue their online activities.   I started this period of isolation in getting the necessary items in to continue with my indoor 009 "East Quay" layout based on Camber Sands and, when the weather warms up, to continue laying the tram track for my new "High Road" London Transport conduit tram layout in the garage.

The latest news about the exhibition tram layout "West Croydon" is that following the owner having a further move of house, it has come out of cold storage.   It needs a lot of TLC and this is being worked on.   Hopefully it will be ready for when the UK returns to normal and model shows return.   My own fleet of London tramcars will emerge from storage and be overhaul and new cars finished to suit my own layout as well as for "West Croydon".   So keep washing your hands and singing Happy Birthday for the duration.   All the best, Colin.

Looking forward to east quay update Colin ...