Bachmann Class 47 Leans to one Side

drgj

When I view my class 47 from the front with the bogies flat on a surface the body and chassis is leaning to one side. The chassis swings fom side to side like other Bachmann locos but doesn't settle upright like normal.  How would I fix this?

Thanks

Dave

Thanks for that. I dismantled the loco just now and it had a bit of swarf where the bogie pivot fits into the chassis block. I removed this but the plastic bogie top pivot looks pretty worn so I might get some replacements. 

This is another eBay purchase! It ran ok but with jerks and flashing lights when I first bought it. This was because the bogies were swimming in grease inside and out with the pickups gunged up. I dismantled them and cleaned all of this out using the kind of degreaser that doesn't damage plastic or paint and relubed properly. It runs very smoothly now. 

Another thing I have noticed is that on DC one of the headcode LEDs comes on after the other at slow speeds.

Dave

Thanks for that. I dismantled the loco just now and it had a bit of swarf where the bogie pivot fits into the chassis block. I removed this but the plastic bogie top pivot looks pretty worn so I might get some replacements. 

This is another eBay purchase! It ran ok but with jerks and flashing lights when I first bought it. This was because the bogies were swimming in grease inside and out with the pickups gunged up. I dismantled them and cleaned all of this out using the kind of degreaser that doesn't damage plastic or paint and relubed properly. It runs very smoothly now. 

Another thing I have noticed is that on DC one of the headcode LEDs comes on after the other at slow speeds.

Dave

I'm afraid the "swimming with grease" is all too common, and is usually factory applied rather than the fault of the previous owner. I've lost count of the number of new locos, and not just from Bachmann, that have needed a thorough clean before use. Add to that the QC issues reported on other RMweb threads, particularly it seems at present with Hornby, and its no wonder many of us are turning to eBay rather than buying new, as we expect to do some work on the purchase anyway, and saving a lot of money in the process.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Thanks for that. I dismantled the loco just now and it had a bit of swarf where the bogie pivot fits into the chassis block. I removed this but the plastic bogie top pivot looks pretty worn so I might get some replacements...

I have only looked at a few Bach 47s, and all from their first production run ten years ago, and this tilt problem was endemic. The pivot diameter was actually too large for the hole in the block, so that the cast in strips in the underside of the block either side of the pivot hole were not resting on the 'table' that surrounds the pivot post. Shaving the pivot diameter slightly to make it fit the pivot hole and thus function correctly solved the 'tilt' problem.

Whether this is applicable to the version you have I cannot say, suggested in case it helps.

...Another thing I have noticed is that on DC one of the headcode LEDs comes on after the other at slow speeds.

On the electrical side, even after excess grease removal where required, there was still some connectivity trouble on some of the models. The wires are clipped on to the circuit board, and the connection efficiency is all down to how well the production operative did the job. (My own 47 was only picking up properly from half the wheelsets as a result of poorly made connections.) I suggest that once all the work on the bogies is done, soldering up all the connections is a good move, if you don't already have that on your 'to do' list.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

On a slightly related issue with the Bachmann 47s mine (and I have four) quite often derail coming off curves onto straight sections of track (second and third radius) and also when running straight over points (medium and standard sizes).

When it happened on my old layout I assumed it was my tracklaying but it continued to be an issue on my subsequent two layouts.

Anyone else have this issue and if so found a solution? 

My loco is 47 148. It has cone shaped holes in the cast chassis block where the pivots fit. I don't recall seeing cast in strips for the bogie tops to rest on.  These sound like they work like Penrith Beacon's plasticard strips. The hole size seems ok.  The cones seem to wear the edges of the pivots as there is no flat surface for the latter to rest against.

Dave

On a slightly related issue with the Bachmann 47s mine (and I have four) quite often derail coming off curves onto straight sections of track (second and third radius) and also when running straight over points (medium and standard sizes).

When it happened on my old layout I assumed it was my tracklaying but it continued to be an issue on my subsequent two layouts.

Have a look at the front of the bogie where their is a piece of plactic coming down then angles inwards on both sides its a seperate component to the rest of the chassis frame, not sure what its for but sometimes this can get bent or forced nearer rail so it will cause a derailment on points or curves. Also check the bogie frame is fully clipped into its mounting block.

Edited by sharkman

My loco is 47 148. It has cone shaped holes in the cast chassis block where the pivots fit. I don't recall seeing cast in strips for the bogie tops to rest on.  These sound like they work like Penrith Beacon's plasticard strips. The hole size seems ok.  The cones seem to wear the edges of the pivots as there is no flat surface for the latter to rest against...

Sounds like Bachmann may have altered this aspect of the design since last I purchased one of their diesels (which would be a class 24, the revised version released with lights). In which case, I  feel 'Penrith Beacon's' suggestion of adding plasticard strips is a goodun. (The design with the cast-in strips is good.)

Check with a steel straight edge that all three wheels each side of both bogies, all rest on the straightedge.

If they don't, a regular problem seen in the past is the centre wheelset lying low, so that the bogies rock on this wheelset. This can be cured by very slightly opening the loactions for the centre wheelset bearings to allow the bogie frame to lie straight and thus all three tyres on the rail, no rocking. I would do a search for other owners experiences before embarking on this, I last worked on a Bach 47 ten years ago, and manufacturers do alter construction, there may be a completely 'other' problem behind this trouble.

Just one other point is it causing issues in both directions? I.E. if it derails turn it around sometimes it won't repeat the fault the other way round - worth a try.

Guest teacupteacup

Dave

Hi Dave

Can I ask which degreaser you used?  I have a Bachmann 24 that is completely jammed up with dried in grease

Hi Dave

Can I ask which degreaser you used?  I have a Bachmann 24 that is completely jammed up with dried in grease

Pardon me answering this question, but my own method is to remove as much as possible by physical methods, using a cocktail stick for example with and without a tissue wound round the end, also smooth plastic can be wiped with a cotton bud. When you've got as far as you can, some more can be removed by the use of Slaters Track and Mechanism Cleaner, or similar, with a soft brush.

Instead of the Slaters cleaner, I sometimes just add a bit of thin oil, then run the loco upside down in a cradle for a few moments, and then wipe off what I can of the resulting mix. This seems to work well, although I can't give you a chemical justification for the process!

My locos are stored upright in loose cradles of bubble wrap, then in drawers, and when brought back into use I always check the undersides for any run off of grease, and clean the wheels if needed so it doesn't go on the rail.

John.

Sounds like Bachmann may have altered this aspect of the design since last I purchased one of their diesels (which would be a class 24, the revised version released with lights). In which case, I  feel 'Penrith Beacon's' suggestion of adding plasticard strips is a goodun. (The design with the cast-in strips is good.)

Check with a steel straight edge that all three wheels each side of both bogies, all rest on the straightedge.

If they don't, a regular problem seen in the past is the centre wheelset lying low, so that the bogies rock on this wheelset. This can be cured by very slightly opening the loactions for the centre wheelset bearings to allow the bogie frame to lie straight and thus all three tyres on the rail, no rocking. I would do a search for other owners experiences before embarking on this, I last worked on a Bach 47 ten years ago, and manufacturers do alter construction, there may be a completely 'other' problem behind this trouble.

Agree with all of your comments.

I purchased a brand new NSE 47 Kings Lynn last year and the centre wheelset was considerably lower on both bogies, causing exactly the type of derailments mentioned by Redford73.

I found the best way to check if the centre wheelset is lower is to place the loco on a piece of glass - the bogie should not rock front to back.

Re: the OP question - all my early Bachmann 47's (in the dark blue slimmer boxes) leaned to one side, but cured them with the plasicard strip method as mentioned by PenrithBeacon.