Jump to content

cromptonnut

RMWeb Modular Meet 2 - Hampshire - NOW CANCELLED

Pick a date  

12 members have voted

  1. 1. Pick all dates that are convenient for you

    • Saturday 6 April
    • Sunday 7 April
    • Saturday 13 April
    • Sunday 14 April
    • Saturday 27 April
    • Sunday 28 April
    • Saturday 4 May
    • Sunday 5 May
    • Saturday 18 May
    • Sunday 19 May


Recommended Posts

 
28 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I've got two 45deg. corners, the 45 deg junction and the 15ft long fiddleyard (runround and 3 long sidings) available and if needed can bulk it out with the 8 ft long modern warehouse Sunnydale although you don't have details for that yet as I'd need to find a way to shift it as it won't all fit in the car if I bring the warehouse too!

 

Hi Paul,

I will probably need to hire a van anyway. Won't add much to the cost to get a slightly bigger one.

Joseph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not say that all going to plan. But still confident of having it ready (functional) by that date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Please can someone send me a link for purchasing the right connector plugs.

 

As Paul's link above, however I always bring along a selection of spare plugs, sockets, and ready made leads just in case people leave them behind, or it's their first time and haven't quite understood what goes where :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got plenty of the leads so I wouldn’t worry too much about forgetting them ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 16:10, cromptonnut said:

Hello all

 

For the last few months, various issues going on in life (including it being -3 in the shed) have made progress on my modelling for the May meet slow to the point of non existance.  Thus many of the modules that I had planned to bring along in May haven't even been started yet, I can probably get the station terminus module and a couple of scenic only filler modules ready but that's about it.

 

Can people please report in with progress on the modules they are committing to have ready by May (not just planned but actually in progress and functional - scenery mostly irrelevant) as I'm beginning to get concerned that we aren't going to have enough bits ready to make a functional arrangement, particularly as in this case it's in a venue open to the public who will have an opportunity to observe and interact with us.  Otherwise If not I'd rather cancel sooner rather than later, so as to avoid embarrassment and reduce stress, and give the October meet as something to look forward to.

 

Many thanks

 

'Nut

Track laying is continuing on Nowhere tunnel, will be completed before may.

Woodstock junction is as it was at the last meeting, but will need some minor repairs.

I have set up rocRail on laptop and was able to drive trains on my Lenz LZV100 from the Z21 app using it, I think that means WiFiMaus should be able to connect too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have made some progress but are awaiting the Brexit decisions of next week which will decide if we can bring our modules free of customs interference or not.

 

Leen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/03/2019 at 18:46, 3737 said:

We have made some progress but are awaiting the Brexit decisions of next week which will decide if we can bring our modules free of customs interference or not.

 

Leen.

 

Just write up a Carne, you basically make a list of everything and get it checked on the border and stamped to avoid customs, if you then leave the country with less than you arrived with you get fined but only if that happens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your advice, it may be helpful. Mostly we leave the UK with more instead of less.

But what about the French customs?

 

Leen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just to indicate (not least to myself) that I still intend to do this - there are now bus wires, connected to banana sockets in each corner ……. blooming heck, that's come out bigger than expected!!

 

Bus.jpg

Edited by Chimer
Add amazed comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

** HEADS UP - WE MAY HAVE A PROBLEM **

 

Hi all

 

This week I received an email from our contact at the museum.  As some of you may have known, last year they received a large grant enabling them to do a much needed shuffle round, refit and upgrade of many of the display items and add some new ones over the winter closed period.  It now becomes apparent that the original plan we were basing our space on last year has somewhat changed between then and now, and the big space made for us where they were going to wheel that plane outside for the day is now no longer available.  At the moment he is not quite sure where we are going to go, certainly a space as big as 50ft x 50ft as we had originally discussed just isn't there.  Great for the museum of course but a bit of a nightmare for us, and nobody in the exhibition team thought to mention it to the events team in the meantime (as presumably they were unaware of our booking).

 

They reopen at the end of the month for the new season, so I'll be heading over at my first convenient opportunity (work pattern permitting) to have a look at the "new arrangement" and see whether it's still practical for our meet.  If it's a complete no-hoper then we have no choice but to cancel, if it's a smaller space but practical then I'll take some images and put it to the vote as to what we do, options may include a new venue (although at this late stage it may be difficult), squeezing into the space we have by reducing some of the modules where people are bringing multiples, and abandoning the May date completely with looking towards rescheduling something later in the year.

 

Knowing that some of you are travelling quite the distance to be with us, I wanted to alert you now just in case you were about to book accommodation, vans, flights and whatever.  

 

I'll keep you updated as soon as I have more information.

 

'Nut

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for your warning. Organising modular events is not always plain sailing.

 

Now that it looks like Brexit will not be effective on 19th May, we may still be able to bring our modules without bureaucracy involved. OK, we have a different problem now, but I can now at least reveal our progress.

This winter I made 6 curved 25 cm (10 in) wide modules of 30 degrees each with double track and a radius of just over a meter (40 in +). The outside diameter of the modules in a 180 degrees curve is approx. 2m 30 (7ft 7in). In the curve the centres of the tracks are 58mm apart, but at the ends of the curve we can make them fit to the 50 mm required. These are made easily transportable. Here you see five of them:

IMG-20190103-WA0011.jpeg

 

We can also bring our 4 single track modules of 75 x 45 cm (approx. 30 x 18 in) without scenery that represent a branchline end (which can easily be extended) with passing loop. Here are three of them:

IMG-20181014-WA0002.jpeg

 

And this is the 4th single track module:

P1260418.jpg

 

Henk has a 6-track fiddle yard that we could bring if required. Its dimensions are 2m70 ((approx. 9 ft) x 0m45 (1ft 6 in):

IMG-20190331-WA0000.jpg

 

We use different plugs (ST16) on our modules but we will fit banana plug adapter cables for this event. We will also have to adapt some of our legs to the 45 in height, but we don't see that as a problem. There are enough clamps to fit our modules to the other ones.

 

Once you'll get the necessary information about the space, we would like you to let us know which modules you would want us to bring to the meet. This coming week I intend to book accommodation that can be cancelled in case the meet will have to be postponed.

 

Leen.

Edited by 3737
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accommodation booked!

 

Leen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

 

Today I've been to look at the venue and what they were able to offer.

 

The initial space offered last year is definitely a no-hoper; the space that we were originally offered in the main hall now has a vehicle in the way that's part of the display and not easily moved, and the whole main hall now has an hourly ten minute multimedia presentation where the lights are dimmed, and there is lots of lights, sound, video and suchlike meaning it would be very intrusive on our operations.  

 

What has been offered now is a 'side room' which looks like it's used for school parties and suchlike, picture below

20190404_120426.jpg.550feb53f24abc336f78921ef58c7f9a.jpg

Obviously the tables and chairs would be cleared out of the way but that leaves us about a 40ft long x 10ft wide space, which doesn't leave itself to much more than 'a long run' which would be filled with just a fiddle yard and one or two modules, never mind junctions and suchlike.  Given the minimum radius of "Dave" standards, we'd barely get a 180 degree curve in at the end to run along the other side of the space, assuming someone has built one.

 

Plus points

  • Room is no longer 'public viewed' so a little less stressful and no need to worry about light fingers.
  • Still has easy access to outside without taking everything through the museum.
  • no change in cost.
  • same location.

Negative points

  • Smaller space means much more limiting on configuration available - reducing the number of modules and potentially attendees.
  • Lack of time until the date means building additional curved modules is unlikely to be practical, assuming that someone has the time to make them.
  • Lockers (RH side of hall) cannot be moved.  If we were to move the chairs and 'stuff' on the left of the picture to the end of the room (behind where I took the photo) it reduces the length of space available.

I'll be honest here and say that my gut feeling is "forget it" but clearly it's not just my decision.  Retreat, regroup and possibly look at another date in the future at possibly a different location.  I don't have the time to find an alternative venue before the May date.

 

Over to you... but I do need to let the museum know fairly soon whether we are cancelling or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm with 36” radius we aren’t going to be able to get to both sides easily even if we make a large U shape. Basically a wobbly straight run and three stations is going to be pushing it. 

I’d agree with you it’s no longer ideal, a squarer room is much better. 

Personally I’d rather regroup, what are the others thoughts?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first thought is minor regret that I splashed out on a bunch of stuff last week ….. but happy that it'll be useful one day.

 

My second is that 3737/Leem is offering 180 degrees of double track curve which (after a quick play in Xtrackcad) could provide the U at one end of the hall and allow 35' of 18" modules down each side of the hall with a 5' + central well - as you say no scope for junctions really but could do fiddle yard - terminus or terminus - terminus (depending on who's got what) and prove the concept (or otherwise) for those who (like me) didn't play last time.

 

Third thought is that even if there's no room for my module in a new plan, I'd still happily come along to the meet and leave my tenner in the pot.

 

Fourth thought is that any postponement will risk me losing the mojo I finally rediscovered last week (I do need a deadline!)

 

So I can see reasons for going ahead, but I'm happy for 'Nut to have my proxy vote and wield it as he sees fit.

 

Cheers

 

Chris

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the space, and given my modules size of 13' x 2'6" at it's widest I would have to say it would be rather impractical for me to bring that, never mind the fact that the 2 18" ends are not in line with each other, bringing the boards at one end about 6" further forward than the other.

 

Although I hadn't officially responded yet, I was preparing to when this issue came up, hopefully a new venue and date can be found so that we can create a monster of a layout to play trains on!

 

Gary

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not especially ideal is it?

 

It depends what would actually fit. Junctions are obviously out, but if a great big U shape fits (and it looks like the necessary curves are available for a 180 turn) it may be worth pressing on. Especially since I'm now not going to be able to arrange anything for later in the year (all being well, my wife and I are expecting a baby at the end of September, so organising anything to clash with that is obviously a non-starter - and that was the kind of time I was looking at).

 

Saying that I'm not sensing a lot of positivity, and I'm happy enough to wait a bit longer if that's what the wider group feels would be best. I can't make September/ October, though...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure the room is only 10 ft wide? Looking at the double doors I'd say it looks more like 13 or 14 ft.

 

Leen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 3737 said:

Are you sure the room is only 10 ft wide? Looking at the double doors I'd say it looks more like 13 or 14 ft.

 

Leen.

 

"Usable space".  As I mentioned, if we remove the stuff on the left then that loses some of the length of the room as it will have to go to the end (plus we'll have to move it, and put it all back afterwards).  The cabinets on the right cannot be moved.  Also, I always plan with a bit of flexibility in case things don't quite fit together, you need space for manoeuvrability of modules into position, plus you might need a bit of a walkway either side of a module.  At the last meet I erred on the side of caution and would continue to do so on this occasion, I treat module positioning in the same way as track laying - if having something so close to a board edge that an inch or so in tracklaying makes a big difference, it's too crowded.

 

When we had our 50ft x 50ft space we were fine.  In this room, it changes things significantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a meet is important if we are to keep going, it gives us momentum. We can get a better venue next time
Assuming of course we have a combination of modules that fit in the space (no matter how basic)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear all

 

As you’ll know, it recently became apparent that the ‘goalposts had moved’ somewhat with regard to our proposed modular meet at the museum, following a refurbishment, and that we had been offered an alternative but considerably smaller space at the museum.

 

Having asked for opinions of those who had indicated attendance, and with a few comments here and some discussions in private message, it has become apparent that although there is still enthusiasm an outside chance that we could make things work in the new room, there are indeed more problems than positives in regard to the short notice change and there simply isn’t enough time for me to do all that might be needed to search out an alternative venue for the May date.

 

The general feeling seems to be “not sure the room will work for us” therefore regrettably it seems that we will have to pull the plug on the 19th May meeting.  Apologies to those who have made travel and accommodation arrangements in advance, and I do sincerely hope that this won’t have put you off participating in any future modular meets.

 

It is hoped that there will be further opportunities – and do remember that anyone can organise a meet, anywhere in the UK – this isn’t just something that I can do, or is restricted to the SECAG area.

 

Apologies again, but sadly it’s beyond my control.

 

‘Nut

  • Friendly/supportive 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a sensible choice, albeit disappointing that the museums communication internally is as bad as many other companies. 

Thanks for your efforts and fingers crossed we can do another date. Maybe the original hall and just concentrate on something small but unlikely to get affected by outside influences ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.