Bedfordshire Maps

In my recent hunting for all things Dunstable, I have happened upon a set of highly detailed maps. They are to a scale of 1:2500 and are Ordinance Survey maps updated to 1925 for rates valuations. I have been able to use them for details of the Dunstable branch line- Leighton Buzzard to Luton via Dunstable. I am sure that other Bedfordshire lines could similarly be traced. The detail is extremely good and shows all tracks, sidings, points etc. as well as lineside features.

The key map is here-  http://apps.bedford.gov.uk/vma/#1926%20Rating%20Valuation%20Maps

An example, this for Luton station area can be found here. One can 'zoom' onto the map for great detail.

http://apps.bedford.gov.uk/VMA/Viewer.aspx?map=DV2-H32b

I hope others will find this of use. It is possible that such maps exist for other counties as well.

Trying to research the Dunstable line, especially the two stations within Dunstable itself is proving quite interesting, especially as I am doing it from Australia. I have found quite a few photographs on the 'net, including a series of aerial photos over several years starting from 1928. As any researcher knows, there is never enough information, so if other members here can offer information or photographs of anything to do with the line, I would be most grateful.

Dane.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Are you aware of the National Library of Scotland digitisation of OS maps? It covers England, Wales and Scotland at 6 in. to the mile and they are working on the 25 in. to the mile series. Usually several different dates are available. i have been looking at Montgomery town and there are three different dates or 6 inch maps plus smaller scales at various dates.

If you want to go back much earlier the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth is digitising tithe maps for Wales to overlay on the NLS maps.

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't seen it; This site has many aerial photos including dunstable and environs (love that word ) aerofilms also have some of the station area.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW056930

Growing up near Dunstable i had an interest in the line however it was just a long siding serving the cement works and oil depot by then

The local , now defunct,model railway club started a finescale oo model of Dunstable north in the 80s that for various reasons was never finished and was broken up around 1993.

Edited by kernowtim

Thanks, Kernowtim. I had found the aerial photographs and found them most interesting.

I was very young when my family left Dunstable for Australia near the end of 1949. I am finding it quite fascinating to research the railway and its reason for existing. I am sure that there are not too many places where there are two stations so close to each other, and that is just one of the curious things. It fascinates me that so many industries were in or about Dunstable.

I was born in a house that faced the line as well as facing Blows Downs. Nowadays there are houses on the opposite side of the road so the view is obstructed.

I am enjoying my research but look forward to the day when I have my shed prepared so that I can start building baseboards and then lay some track.

Regards, Dane.

• Like 1