Danemouth - a Seaside BLT

Danemouth

Hi Dave,

It's hard to tell from the photos but the length of track beyond the loco release crossover seems to be long enough to accommodate a King with room to spare. If that's deliberate, fair enough, but if you can reduce that length by pushing the crossover further to the right, then you'd get more room for vehicles to stand alongside the platform if you want it. (I'm thinking about tail traffic added to passenger trains.) If you do move the crossover to the right, leave enough room for an everyday loco to stand clear of the points plus about 50mm for the buffers. It's OK for really big locos to foul the points and be trapped because you can use a pilot loco to remove the coaches in those exceptional cases.

Personally, I'd try to have the goods shed parallel with the platform and the station building because it would look a bit more organised and would open up the yard a bit - but it's not a big deal.

Looking forward to seeing it develop!

Phil,

The track beyond the release crossover is 36 cm which will become just under 34 cm once the buffer stop is added. This means it can take a Western or Grange, my largest locos without the loco touching the buffer stop. Also I tend to operate the layout from the fiddleyard end so a little extra space is useful in ensuring I am clear of the points and buffers.

i am still playing with the goods yard and will have a look at your suggestion.

Many thanks for all your help,

Dave

• Like 4

I'd be inclined to leave the goods shred at the slight angle it is to the platform. Having everything lined up in parallel tends to look a bit "trainset-y" IMO. Seems a shame, after having got those nice flowing curves, to tighten one of them for the sake of a 'tidiness' that was by no means always achieved in the prototype.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose, apart from personal preference, it depends on the imagined history of the station. If the station buildings and goods shed were built at the same time it's more likely they would have been neatly set out. If the goods shed was built or rebuilt later than the station building, perhaps when the station layout was revised, it's more likely to have a different alignment.

But in either case I think that the closer the shed and the station buildings are, the more likely they would be aligned.

(BTW: My drawing above shows that a parallel goods shed is possible without affecting the flow, if Dave wants to do it.)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stations evolve over time Phil.

Take Lyme Regis. The goods shed started life opposite the station building as built but was subsequently moved to the opposite end of the goods yard as traffic changed.

I like how Dave has set out the trackwork in his last couple of photos. I understand your view but personally I like a random element appearing. I thinks Daves solution opens things out just a tad and hints at a 'less is more' appearance.

I like it.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I suppose, apart from personal preference, it depends on the imagined history of the station. If the station buildings and goods shed were built at the same time it's more likely they would have been neatly set out. If the goods shed was built or rebuilt later than the station building, perhaps when the station layout was revised, it's more likely to have a different alignment.

But in either case I think that the closer the shed and the station buildings are, the more likely they would be aligned.

(BTW: My drawing above shows that a parallel goods shed is possible without affecting the flow, if Dave wants to do it.)

I do wonder about that and it must obviously be influenced by all sorts of factors.  For example when our local (terminus) station was extended and significantly altered around the turn of the (18th/20th) century its alignment didn't change at all.  The goods shed remained unaltered and it continued not to be aligned with the station buildings but at an angle to them.  The reason for this was quite simple as the end loading dock and cattle dock were between the main platforms and the good shed and this meant the goods shed couldn't align with the station building unless more land was acquired.

It's a shame that no one does a model of the smaller types of GWR goods sheds. The type which butted up to the track as opposed to having the track pass through it.

It would be a good alternative here and wouldn't shield so much of the station from the front.

Rovex

Edited by rovex
  • Like 1

It's a shame that no one does a model of the smaller types of GWR goods sheds. The type which butted up to the track as opposed to having the track pass through it.

It would be a good alternative here and wouldn't shield so much of the station from the front.

Rovex

The GWR store currently used is a Bachmann model from a few years ago. I find it a little on the small side for my taste. Once the Oxford Rail Goods Shed, which matches the station building is available I will consider replacing it.

I am also considering replacing the Bachmann Highley Signal Box with the Oxford Rail version to give the impression of all the station buildings being built at the same time.

I still haven't made my mind up if the GS track will be parallel or at an angle to the station.

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1

The Wills goods shed (the Craftsman kit) is of that design, but I've no idea what the prototype, if any, was.

• RMweb Gold

The Wills goods shed (the Craftsman kit) is of that design, but I've no idea what the prototype, if any, was.

I think that would be too small. I would stick with the one you have. How about a provender store in addition...?

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Nice progress Dave. As you say, soon have it all laid out.

Rob.

Just found this thread and enjoyed reading through the progress so far. This looks set to be a very fine layout indeed.

Thanks Andy,

I finished laying the track today and will post some photos of it over the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing the photos Dave.

First train running ?

Rob.

The track has been laid, the cork still needs tidying. In these pictures the steel rulers represent where the Metcalfe Bridge - the scenic break will be placed.

post-7048-0-83375300-1529501641_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-71022700-1529501649_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-33816800-1529501658_thumb.jpg

I feel the track flows very nicely, all due to the help I have received on thus thread - thanks to you all.

The next step is to complete installing the droppers, then the boards go on their backs for the electrics to be added.

One thought did occur to me - the headshunt could in theory lead to an off-scene turntable allowing me to turn the occasional tender engine - a Peco loco lift in the fiddleyard would do the job nicely. Well Cardigan and Newcastle Emlyn both had turntables why not Danemouth? If all else fails I will apply Rule One.

Regards to you all,

Dave

• Like 7

I definitely agree that the track flows well. I like the idea of the "hidden" turntable I think that would work well for special services. If it is a seaside branch then there is every chance of summer specials running over the line.

• RMweb Gold

No turntable at Barry so 4-6-0 engines on excursions went to Canton for turning, smaller locos and the ex LNWR 0-8-0s could use a triangle in the docks. I have no memory of seeing one of these but I do remember a very slick system of getting trains away from the Island.

Looking good.

Brian

Would it be a serious problem for an engine to run tender first? It would presumably only be as far as the junction where it could be turned at their facility?

Rather than instal a turntable of stage which will take up quite a bit of space could you not use a lift out cradle? Run the engine on, pick it up and turn it round, put it back down and run it off.

Would it be a serious problem for an engine to run tender first? It would presumably only be as far as the junction where it could be turned at their facility?

Rather than instal a turntable of stage which will take up quite a bit of space could you not use a lift out cradle? Run the engine on, pick it up and turn it round, put it back down and run it off.

I think that was the plan - I think a Peco Loco lift was mentioned - which I think would be a great idea.

• RMweb Premium

The track has been laid, the cork still needs tidying. In these pictures the steel rulers represent where the Metcalfe Bridge - the scenic break will be placed.

attachicon.gifDSC16589.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC16592.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC16594.jpg

I feel the track flows very nicely, all due to the help I have received on thus thread - thanks to you all.

The next step is to complete installing the droppers, then the boards go on their backs for the electrics to be added.

One thought did occur to me - the headshunt could in theory lead to an off-scene turntable allowing me to turn the occasional tender engine - a Peco loco lift in the fiddleyard would do the job nicely. Well Cardigan and Newcastle Emlyn both had turntables why not Danemouth? If all else fails I will apply Rule One.

Regards to you all,

Dave

That looks absolutely spot-on now Dave, and I do like the loco-lift idea. Kingswear of course provides another excuse.

• RMweb Gold

Not a serious problem to run tender first over short distances but not liked.  Many years ago I travelled behind a 'Castle' which was running tender first working a passenger train - for 5 miles up our local branch and then for anther 5 miles back down the branch later in the day on the return working.  As the train reversed at the junction on each occasion there was no alternative to doing part of the journey (the shortest part) tender first although rather amusingly it meant that the engine worked the inward and return ECS trains chimney first on the branch (and possibly on the main line as well?). 

All the droppers are in place, thats 19 sets. Whoever said DCC was two wires was an @nal ventriloquist. Having said that running sound locos you really need to ensure there isn't even the smallest break in power and of course electrofrog points add to the number of droppers needed.

Talking to Richard HH at a show he said his method of soldering droppers involved a 50w soldering iron and a quick dab, so I bought a 40w iron and I can tell you it's much easier than a 25w one!

The Cobalt motors used on previous incarnations of Danemouth have been fettled ready for re-use.

Tomorrow the boards go on their backs and I start wiring, something I enjoy

Dave

• Like 1