Lambourn branch coaches.

Hi guys, this is my first post, bit of a newbie.

I'm looking at modelling Lambourn station in the 50s in 7mm. I'm finding it hard to identify the passenger stock from old photos and was wondering if anyone could possibly help with diagram numbers. It seems that towards the end there was the odd MK1 suburban. I'm not really interested with the railcar, but it looks like there was an autocoach of unknown diagram. 

Any help would be appreciated, cheers, Derek.

Thanks Froxfield, I have seen that post you mention and have a few leads from it, but would love to find out what diagram that auto coach was. Apparently it was not run as auto fitted as far as I can make out and the brake third coaches were run with the brake compartments together from photos.

As far as 'link it', what do I link it to? Not really up with the site yet.

Sorry not to have been of more help.  As you will have seen, my only photo is of a BR single coach train at Lambourn!  My reference to linking was just that I couldn't actually put a direct link to that older thread into my own email.  So not something for you to worry about.  Having looked on the Google at the one dedicated website and the clips from the Charles D'Arvelle book, I can see how you might struggle to identify rolling stock.  But I am unable to help.  Sorry.

I hope others will happen by this thread who can be of more assistance.

Thanks again Froxfield, it's a bit hard huh? Ah well, I will study on.

Hello Derek

Before the War diagram L autotrailer 58 often appeared on the branch.  I don't know if the same type appeared in the 50s (ie in BR days) but I have seen a BR era photo of Dean goods 2532 with an autotrailer which is definitely not diag. L but could be a diag. D.

Other BR period pics I've come across include:-

8750 class PT + Collett BTK

8750 class PT + Hawksworth BTK (D133)

M&SWJR 2-4-0 1335 + Toplight BCK

57xx class PT + Collett BTK (D121?)

2251 class 0-6-0 + Hawksworth T (C83) & BT (D132)

8750 class 0-6-0 + not clear BUT could be a post-War Hawksworth autotrailer

Chris KT

Most of the Lambourn branch trains were single coach plus loco but not auto trains. The horse traffic was considerable and involved shunting at the terminus, where an auto coach would just have complicated matters. Locos were in the main, 57xx, 2251 and Dean goods 0-6-0s. Many of the branch services in the 1950s were railcars and it would be difficult to ignore them and still present an accurate picture of branch operations. W18 was built specifically for the Lambourn branch (with buffers and couplings so that it could haul horse boxes) and the angular cars (W19-32)  were a development of W18 and also appeared on the branch quite frequently. (CJL)

There are lots of photos in the Great Western Branch Line Termini books.

Always look around Amazon aren't the cheapest, posting for clarity. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Western-Branch-Line-Termini/dp/0860933695

I've not got them to hand, but I'm sure it was mainly a Pannier as in Chris's post. But I think if you are even thinking about building Lambourn then have a look at that book.

Jason