TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

@Edwardian, I had a momentary vision of a golden gorse engine on our dockside but weren't the L&F examples rebuilt as 2-4-0s? 

Only some.

They went back to Sharp Stewart where most of them were paired with 4-wheel tenders.  They were presumably first painted in Lynn & Fakenham green with black and white lining and brown frames (similar to the contemporary livery of the rival Great Eastern).  From 1886 they would have gone into Eastern & Midland chocolate lined yellow. 

Some were rebuilt as 2-4-0s in the same livery. That means both the 0-6-0 tanks, some with tenders, 2 without, and the 2-4-0 tender version were in service until withdrawn.  This, of course, enabled the WNR to buy one of each! 

It is believed that, from 1893, the livery of all variants would have been M&GN lettering on the brown; photographs support this.

So, you can have one of these as an 0-6-0 tank, but no Golden Gorse, I'm afraid!

CMR No.11, Sharp Stewart Works No. 2360 of 1874, to Lynn & Fakenham Railway, 1881, as No.11, supplied with tender, withdrawn 1899.

CMR No.12, Sharp Stewart Works No. 2361 of 1874, to Lynn & Fakenham Railway, 1881, as No.12, supplied with tender, withdrawn 1902.

CMR No.13, Sharp Stewart Works No. 2368 of 1874, to Lynn & Fakenham Railway, 1881, as No.13, supplied with tender, rebuilt to 2-4-0 in 1891-2, withdrawn 1898.

CMR No.14, Sharp Stewart Works No. 2369 of 1874, to Lynn & Fakenham Railway, 1881, as No.14, supplied with tender, rebuilt to 2-4-0 in 1891-2, withdrawn 1897.

CMR No.15, Sharp Stewart Works No. 2370 of 1874, to Lynn & Fakenham Railway, 1880, as No. 3 Blakeney, rebuilt to 2-4-0 in 1891-2, withdrawn 1899.

CMR No.16, Sharp Stewart Works No. 2371 of 1874, to Lynn & Fakenham Railway, 1880, as No.2 Reepham, withdrawn 1894.

CMR No.17, Sharp Stewart Works No. 2372 of 1874, to Lynn & Fakenham Railway, 1880, as No.1 Melton Constable, withdrawn 1898.

CMR No.18, Sharp Stewart Works No. 2373 of 1874, to Lynn & Fakenham Railway, 1881, as No.18, supplied with tender, rebuilt to 2-4-0 in 1890, withdrawn 1895.

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Chocolate is tasty enough...

... but anyway these are not the engines represented by TurboSnail's bodies.

Not yet.

Our gracious and talented host has expressed interest in the past in having more than one option for the Electrotren chassis - it's a great choice of donor chassis as it's around half the price of others of the ilk - so I claim 'on topic' status for my ramblings!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Chocolate is tasty enough...

... but anyway these are not the engines represented by TurboSnail's bodies.

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Not yet.

Our gracious and talented host has expressed interest in the past in having more than one option for the Electrotren chassis - it's a great choice of donor chassis as it's around half the price of others of the ilk - so I claim 'on topic' status for my ramblings!

Well, the eventual plan is to have several bodies available for the Electrotren chassis - mainly because I'm a cheapskate and it means I can buy one chassis and swap between three or four bodies as I wish! The CMR locos may or may not be part of that plan...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Following on from previous post, another loco has broken cover... (edit: model built and painted by Andy Hardy, I just did the CAD!)

I may be suffering slight withdrawal symptoms from actual physical modelling, but the digital substitute is providing a good alternative until I can get my modelling desk set back up!

image.png.84d5105160e2d734efe5c08a3a6c4ced.png

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Models available!

In very limited numbers, mind. This is a bit of an experiment, to see what people's appetite for 3D printed kits is like - I'm quite nervous about it! I have a couple of kits for the Hunslet 4wDM 'Courage' available, for the princely sum of £25. This gets you a set of prints (body, chassis, roof and exhaust), to which you can then add wheels, a motor, gears, pickups, coupling hooks, plastic strip and handrail wire to make a working model (the cost of the additional bits is around £35-40 depending on what specification you'd like). Links to where the other parts can be bought will be sent out with the prints. The prints may need some light surface preparation, depending how much of a perfectionist you are :P - the model in the photos and videos below has had very little surface prep, mainly on the roof. Performance is not the best at slow speed (see video below), but for a model of its size and (lack of) weight, there's nothing else like it. Alternatively, you could build it unmotorised and use a powered wagon or similar. Please drop me a message at ts3dmodels@gmail.com if you would like one. If they all go, I can get more printed, so don't worry if you miss out! I'll offer them in a more appropriate RMweb thread soon, but thought I'd let the good folks on here have first choice :) 

The loco itself was built in 1935 and is (supposedly) the smallest UK standard gauge diesel. It uses a 22hp engine and several similar locos were built for light duties, the most famous being 'Courage' which worked the Courage brewery and is now preserved at the Middleton Railway, Leeds. Testing video and build video linked below (apologies in advance, I'm really not a TV presenter!).

Raw prints (i.e. you get one of each of these parts in the kit):

image.png.446c6612e3c526eb886a0543ae698db3.png

Finished model:

image.png.b8d16bed677dba7a394361dcf30a6db4.png

Running video: 

Build video:

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

2 hours ago, brack said:

Any chance of a 7mm version?

Can do if you like, but does that not sort of defeat the point of a ludicrously small locomotive? :P

(waiting for someone to request an N gauge version)

Edited by TurboSnail

4 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Models available!

In very limited numbers, mind. This is a bit of an experiment, to see what people's appetite for 3D printed kits is like - I'm quite nervous about it! I have a couple of kits for the Hunslet 4wDM 'Courage' available, for the princely sum of £25. This gets you a set of prints (body, chassis, roof and exhaust), to which you can then add wheels, a motor, gears, pickups, coupling hooks, plastic strip and handrail wire to make a working model (the cost of the additional bits is around £35-40 depending on what specification you'd like). Links to where the other parts can be bought will be sent out with the prints. The prints may need some light surface preparation, depending how much of a perfectionist you are :P - the model in the photos and videos below has had very little surface prep, mainly on the roof. Performance is not the best at slow speed (see video below), but for a model of its size and (lack of) weight, there's nothing else like it. Alternatively, you could build it unmotorised and use a powered wagon or similar. Please drop me a message at ts3dmodels@gmail.com if you would like one. If they all go, I can get more printed, so don't worry if you miss out! I'll offer them in a more appropriate RMweb thread soon, but thought I'd let the good folks on here have first choice :) 

The loco itself was built in 1935 and is (supposedly) the smallest UK standard gauge diesel. It uses a 22hp engine and several similar locos were built for light duties, the most famous being 'Courage' which worked the Courage brewery and is now preserved at the Middleton Railway, Leeds. Testing video and build video linked below (apologies in advance, I'm really not a TV presenter!).

Raw prints (i.e. you get one of each of these parts in the kit):

image.png.446c6612e3c526eb886a0543ae698db3.png

Finished model:

image.png.b8d16bed677dba7a394361dcf30a6db4.png

Running video: 

Build video:

Hi TS,

What is there to worry about ?

Most of your investment is in developing the program to produce the print which by the look of things produced a locomotive that you wanted for yourself in any case. Any extra prints are not really investment as they will be offered for sale, any cash you make is a bonus on that basis.

I am well aware of your aversion to Shapeways but there is nothing stopping you putting the print on their website for even less of an investment risk.

Do you have any other print on demand options ?

Gibbo.

6 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi TS,

What is there to worry about ?

Most of your investment is in developing the program to produce the print which by the look of things produced a locomotive that you wanted for yourself in any case. Any extra prints are not really investment as they will be offered for sale, any cash you make is a bonus on that basis.

I am well aware of your aversion to Shapeways but there is nothing stopping you putting the print on their website for even less of an investment risk.

Do you have any other print on demand options ?

Gibbo.

I was mostly worried about criticism of the model, rather than anything financial. Half-expecting squadrons of rivet-counters to descend on it...

It is actually already on Shapeways! But with all the caveats that I'm sure people are tired of me repeating :P

I am hoping to get my own printer soon enough, then I can start making all the CAD I've done available - I have loads of models just sitting on my hard drive doing nothing, which is a bit frustrating.

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

I was mostly worried about criticism of the model, rather than anything financial. Half-expecting squadrons of rivet-counters to descend on it...

It is actually already on Shapeways! But with all the caveats that I'm sure people are tired of me repeating :P

I am hoping to get my own printer soon enough, then I can start making all the CAD I've done available - I have loads of models just sitting on my hard drive doing nothing, which is a bit frustrating.

Hi TS,

I wouldn't worry about what rivet counters have to say, reason being, most all of them only have models that they take out of boxes that come from China !

Your models are a credit to the effort you put into them, well done for that !

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi TS,

I wouldn't worry about what rivet counters have to say, reason being, most all of them only have models that they take out of boxes that come from China !

Your models are a credit to the effort you put into them, well done for that !

Gibbo.

Speaking as someone who has quite recently literally counted rivets for Turbosnail, I will try not to take that personally!

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

39 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Speaking as someone who has quite recently literally counted rivets for Turbosnail, I will try not to take that personally!

Hi Edwardian,

I too have counted rivets, especially when I used to rivet together boilers and tender tanks. It wouldn't do to cut and hot up the wrong amount, rivets cost money.

As for taking any comment personally might I suggest that context is all, first, I did say 'most all' and not 'all' rivet counters also, second, it would seem that your rivet counting activities were to produce an accurate model rather than to complain bitterly after taking delivery of one from out of a box of Chinese manufacture.

This is a completely different matter. That you assisted the most able Mr Turbosnail all the better, may I commend your efforts !

As an aside, I was once accosted by a rivet counter at Cleethorps to complain that the support dog on the smoke box door of 45407 was welded and not riveted. I explained that it was a new smoke box and it had been done as it was not safety critical, actually better than riveted construction, and also that we did not posses swan necked snaps to allow access to form the head of the rivet on the inside of the door ring.

Mr Rivet Counter was not at all happy with the explanation as the smoke was not only partially welded but also not now original.

I pointed out that the brake blocks were not original having been fitted only days earlier and that it was just as well really because Cleethorps is a terminus station !

Gibbo.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Being kept away from my workbench by actual work a lot at the moment, but things are still ticking over. A couple of pre-grouping announcements from Hardy's today too (sorry to keep banging on about their stuff, but until I can resume physical modelling, that's all I've got to talk about!).

First up, the Hudswell Clarke contractors loco I made a while ago (on an Electrotren chassis) has been adapted to fit the Hornby Peckett W4 chassis. No word on release dates yet, I've got a couple of changes to make first. Suitable for 1876 onwards! A few different cab variants will follow in due course.

Then there's the Fox Walker industrial loco, based on 'Minnie' of the KESR. Another one for the Electrotren chassis. Both considerably reworked and improved since I built the prototypes a while back! Pics are of models built by Hardy's not by me. They'd be more blue if they were!

image.png.194780f7ddfbb8a7a40433416b5c8b46.png

image.png.5d9bb53997ad0ff93afc8afee117d8f3.png

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

9 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Being kept away from my workbench by actual work a lot at the moment, but things are still ticking over. A couple of pre-grouping announcements from Hardy's today too (sorry to keep banging on about their stuff, but until I can resume physical modelling, that's all I've got to talk about!).

First up, the Hudswell Clarke contractors loco I made a while ago (on an Electrotren chassis) has been adapted to fit the Hornby Peckett W4 chassis. No word on release dates yet, I've got a couple of changes to make first. Suitable for 1876 onwards! A few different cab variants will follow in due course.

Then there's the Fox Walker industrial loco, based on 'Minnie' of the KESR. Another one for the Electrotren chassis. Both considerably reworked and improved since I built the prototypes a while back! Pics are of models built by Hardy's not by me. They'd be more blue if they were!

image.png.194780f7ddfbb8a7a40433416b5c8b46.png

image.png.5d9bb53997ad0ff93afc8afee117d8f3.png

Excellent to see the industrial version of the Fox Walker break cover.  I assume that there is now  a way to fix the body to the chassis, as I never found a way to do this with the prototype MGN version?

Still, if the WNR's Drawing Office manages to adapt to the new Hornby chassis, that won't be a problem.

Also excellent to see the Hudswell Clarke contractor's loco, and very tempting!

I know we joke about my little Peckett as the contractor's loco for the WNR, but this Hudswell Clarke is a properly suitable type for that work, which it's good to see represented by a model. Any line being built  1870s-1900s could have one of these, e.g. on the Great Central's London Extension, or, as in the picture below, on the Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway c.1905:

IMG_3477.JPG.bdfbfda797c7bb6aa521c7a7bed87003.JPG

I've often though of a layout on which a section of line is under construction, perhaps a new line is being built near or across the older route of another company, or the operating part of the line is having an extension built. People have branch lines or industrial or narrow gauge feeders on their layouts.  A line under construction would be a refreshing take on that.  RT models do the perfect 'go-with' wagon Picture  

rt%20models%204mm%20scale%20contractors%

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Excellent to see the industrial version of the Fox Walker break cover.  I assume that there is now  a way to fix the body to the chassis, as I never found a way to do this with the prototype MGN version?

Still, if the WNR's Drawing Office manages to adapt to the new Hornby chassis, that won't be a problem.

Also excellent to see the Hudswell Clarke contractor's loco, and very tempting!

There is indeed, all these loco bodyshells are supplied with M2 but and bolt fixings that use the original mounting holes in the relevant RTR chassis. That is where a lot of the additional work has gone, getting everything to line up properly. I've also added some higher detail parts to the backhead of the little Hudswell as it's more visible - hasn't been tested yet, so we'll see how well that comes out.

• Informative/Useful 2

Is there any chance you could alter it slightly so the chimney and safety valves are like those in Edwardian's photo, and the photo below?  And, maybe add the rear sandboxes too? I'd like to have one if that can be done.

.HCs-2.jpg.25f6ee0280e2f48a5d14f494f19eb1a7.jpg

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Is there any chance you could alter it slightly so the chimney and safety valves are like those in Edwardian's photo, and the photo below?  And, maybe add the rear sandboxes too? I'd like to have one if that can be done.

Quite possibly, I'll be making a few variants with different cabs, so I can do a different chimney and safety valves without too much trouble. Depends how many versions Hardy's want to offer! The version modelled at the moment is based on the Taff Vale loco and the KWVR Lord Mayor but there are many more that it could be modified in to.

Those locos pictured look to be a bit later with the later style sandboxes and without the raised section in the middle of the tank. Different buffers too.

Edited by TurboSnail

On 12/10/2019 at 12:58, TurboSnail said:

Quite possibly, I'll be making a few variants with different cabs, so I can do a different chimney and safety valves without too much trouble. Depends how many versions Hardy's want to offer! The version modelled at the moment is based on the Taff Vale loco and the KWVR Lord Mayor but there are many more that it could be modified in to.

Those locos pictured look to be a bit later with the later style sandboxes and without the raised section in the middle of the tank. Different buffers too.

I was at the VCT, at Ingrow, Yesterday and took a good look at Lord Mayor. It doesn't have the 'raised section' on the tank. It isn't a raised section really but is just where the plates overlap and Lord Mayor's tank wrapper is made from one piece of sheet, rather than three. Lord Mayor also has the same type of safety valves as those in the photos above.

Something to bear in mind is that the TVR loco and Lord Mayor are tiny things with smaller wheels (2ft. 9in as opposed to 3ft. 3in. of the Peckett), shorter wheelbase and smaller cylinders than the Peckett W4 that will provide the chassis, so what you have in the model isn't really like the TVR loco, or Lord Mayor at all. I think the one below would be a much better basis for the model if you just change the safety valve cover, drop the buffer beams so their tops are flush with the running plate and add the springs above it.

hc239of1892-2.jpg.1de0c95d5a955b71d93fd043184eccfd.jpg

HC 239 of 1892. A 12-inch cylinder engine with 3ft. 3in. wheels. Larger all round than Lord Mayor but otherwise with the same overall appearance, with overall cab or without.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4