GWR Castle No. A1 / 100A1 "Lloyds"

WR Tim

Can anyone tell me why when 4009 "Shooting Star" (Castle class) was renamed "Lloyds" by the GWR in 1936, they decided to give it a number completely outside their standard numbering system, ie. A1 (later 100 A1)?

Renaming the loco, fine. Renumbering the loco, fine. Slapping a random plate on the cabside that bares no relation to any other number they used, why?

Ta.

Can anyone tell me why when 4009 "Shooting Star" (Castle class) was renamed "Lloyds" by the GWR in 1936, they decided to give it a number completely outside their standard numbering system, ie. A1 (later 100 A1)?

Renaming the loco, fine. Renumbering the loco, fine. Slapping a random plate on the cabside that bares no relation to any other number they used, why?

Ta.

I believe '100 A1' refers to the highest indication of quality or safety given by Lloyds.

• Like 1

I believe '100 A1' refers to the highest indication of quality or safety given by Lloyds.

Correct, the expression 'something' is "A1 at LLoyds" means that the subject meets the highest standards and hence is a minimal (insurance) risk. I recollect that one of the GWR Directors was a Lloyd's name at the time when the engine was rebuilt.

Graham

• RMweb Gold

On original renaming (from 'Shooting Star') in January 1936 the loco was - as the OP said. named 'Lloyds' and given the number 'A1' - which was Lloyds highest insurance classification when applied to ships (I understand various of the GWR ships were classified A1 by Lloyds and I think that includes those brought into service earlier in the 1930s).

Presumably the idea of 'A1' as a running number wasn't thought very clever and additional plates bearing the number '100' were added on the cabsides, above the 'A1' plates, in February 1936 - or perhaps the idea was to get all the publicity shots out of the way before adding the other plates?

The loco was known as '100' for ordinary operating purposes but the bufferbeam carried '100A1' although the BR smokebox numberplate was plain '100'. Interestingly - having seen some of them a good ten years after the loco itself had gone - the driving wheelsets were also stamped '100A1'.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Glad you mentioned the BR smoke box number Stationmaster - I thought after I posted that BR wouldn't have had any truck with 100A1 and wondered whether they'd just numbered it 100 or returned it to 4009.

This came up because I saw pictures of the loco in Power of the Castles. There is one of it numbered just A1 when fresh out of Swindon Works and one dated simply 1936 depicting it with the 100 plates as well so it certainly lasted less than a year numbered just A1.

• 7 years later...

In the Lloyd's Register class +100A1, what do the “+”,"100", "A" and "1" stand for?

“+”(properly called a Pattee cross but often called a Maltese cross) means the ship was constructed under survey by Lloyd's Register surveyors; "100" means the ship is suitable for seagoing service. "A" means the ship was constructed or accepted into LR class and is maintained in good and efficient condition. "1"means she has good and efficient anchoring and mooring equipment.

http://www.shipinspection.eu/index.php/mca-orals/58-mca-oral-exam-questions/3691-in-the-lloyd-s-register-class-100a1-what-do-the-100-a-and-1-stand-for

Jason

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I don't think it got a BR crest. Photo here in 1948 as an oil burner with G crest W.

https://railphotoprints.uk/p196062882/e46aabf93

And here as 100 with a smokebox plate in July 1949. Can't really tell but the tender might have BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering.

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/Collett-Locomotives/Collett-460-designs/Collett-Castle-Class/Collett-Castles/Star-Rebuilds-1924-1926/i-WcHJJd9/A

But if you look here it seems to have had three different tenders in it's last year. What livery they were carrying is a good question.

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=4009&type=S&loco=100A1

Jason

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1