Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

26 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

I've always had an interest in pylons from a very young age, spotting them on car journeys and curiosity to know more lead me to reading many info sites and formus, learning what types there were and then the types of towers in a series, and then their specific jobs, and then I found this place and I've learnt a lot more ever since I joined, and I keep picking up more knowledge as I go along. 

Yes... I know what you mean from those childhood long journeys, I think the RMWeb is a great central place for information of many kinds of subjects to exchange knowledge and to upload photos to pass on Information that mean nothing to some and means everything to some one else.

Like I said earlier, the only way of learning is to ask questions, I think Modellers tend to have a wealth of information, because when you model something, then all things have to have a purpose in life, it's not just there because it looks good.  Same is true when I pass an Oil Refinery (at night the lights off all those gangways would look great to model) with so many pipes that just seem to go to nowhere, lol (says someone who know nothing) but they are there for a purpose as an example.

Pylons to me are like... always been there, was there ever a time they weren't Pylons, well obviously there must have been but as we have had electricity for 100 or more years, it's something we see in our every day life when out n about and on our travels but you never think twice why they are they... (I'll worry about that when my iPad doesn't turn on or charge up haha we take Electricity for granted) that's where RMWeb plays a part, as it brings people and knowledge together.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I would probably model something simpler but putting a Terminating Tower "in scene" on a model railway actually makes more sense with all the space compression already in play.

Kev.

Hi Kev

If you do Model that, put the photo on here, out of Interest bud.

Regards

Jamie

30 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Ahh the hybrid L2's!! Wish there were more of them!!

Glad you are letting us know the Type of Pylon it is... it may safe the question in the future when I ask you to explain... lol

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On topic off topic but has anyone seen the odd looking tower in the background of the current Gocompare tv ad where Gino Compario crashes his car along a safety barrier trying to avoid a deer in the road. You see it at the end in the field behind... looks like the base of an L2 D30 but the top has been chopped or or edited out??

Cheers Paul

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, L2's are great! said:

Ahh the hybrid L2's!! Wish there were more of them!!

Yes me too I once made a day trip all the way to see these towers specially some years ago closeup. Will find the link to my album.

Cheers Paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pharrc20 said:

On topic off topic but has anyone seen the odd looking tower in the background of the current Gocompare tv ad where Gino Compario crashes his car along a safety barrier trying to avoid a deer in the road. You see it at the end in the field behind... looks like the base of an L2 D30 but the top has been chopped or or edited out??

Cheers Paul

Yes, I did Paul, How funny hey... that you spotted it to, I sort it while watching 'the Masked Singer' in the Break I think it was or maybe later on in the evening... yesterday late evening and I wasn't recording it at the time, so I couldn't take a still, It was an odd looking Pylon, I was going to take a photo and send it to you to quiz you on it haha but you have saved me the hassle of doing it now, ain't that funny you should say that Paul, I'm waiting for it come on again so I can pause it for a photo. It was like some kind of 'H' looking Pylon...

Just after the car skids out of the picture and the guy is standing there with his arm out to the Right, and he says... we can't predict where an accident will ever be... he misses the baby Reindeer or Calf I should say, as you see at the end of the advert.  

Funny, we obviously look out for the same images, that's either funny or freaky...  hahah

Regards

Jamie

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

Wow Pylon King

That's a great Pylon, so when you " the latter also takes the line down from quad to duo. " .... Are you referring to the Number of Cable Power Lines... 4 down to 2 per arm on the Pylon...?

Would I be correct in saying there is insulators for every Cable Line where a New Cable Ends/Starts on the D1 Type (Hmmm is it...!) so to speak...?

Regards

Jamie

Yes , this BB D90 converts the line down to 91F84BC9-EBBB-4CF9-BFC9-535D120CD561.jpeg.98996cb01838ffd9dec72d794d72640b.jpegtwo wires . From here the line splits ; west to Walham substation (mainly L2) and south to Upper Minety/Melksham subs (L2).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Cheers Paul

It is a Russian design. It’s incredibly similar to the ones you see over there and in Chernobyl as well. The first pic is the one off the advert. The second is the same pylon type at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant

196F0FC4-23CA-45F0-9B9F-E4B39D256DC8.jpeg

DAFDC6CE-B57D-408D-BDE2-6F5A35BB1D22.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Went down the M6 today and the odd pylon run north of Coventry is having the lower two wires changed to twins from quads to match the top wire. Just wondering why it was not all done at the same time? Did they run out of wire? or was it an evaluation to see how the new twin on the top phase compared to the old quads on the lower two phases? There must be a story here somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, Pylon King said:

Yes , this BB D90 converts the line down to 91F84BC9-EBBB-4CF9-BFC9-535D120CD561.jpeg.98996cb01838ffd9dec72d794d72640b.jpegtwo wires . From here the line splits ; west to Walham substation (mainly L2) and south to Upper Minety/Melksham subs (L2).

Blimey, am I only talking to Aliens on this thread or what, where do you guys find these great looking Pylons from... I know I mentioned R2D2 but I was only joking about that...

These Pylons are on another level to the ones I see and have photo's of... haha

Excellent Pylon King

Regards

Jamie

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Suzie said:

Went down the M6 today and the odd pylon run north of Coventry is having the lower two wires changed to twins from quads to match the top wire. Just wondering why it was not all done at the same time? Did they run out of wire? or was it an evaluation to see how the new twin on the top phase compared to the old quads on the lower two phases? There must be a story here somewhere.

Looks like they have a Scoucer on the job... and I bet the poor Scoucer said...

Eh... why you all presuming it's me, our kid, I've done nonin... i was at werk... lol

Good question Suzie, I'd thought the same...

Regards

Jamie

12 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

It is a Russian design. It’s incredibly similar to the ones you see over there and in Chernobyl as well. The first pic is the one off the advert. The second is the same pylon type at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant

Hi LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004

Haha... you saw the Car Insurance Advert to then...

So would it be correct to say the advert was film in Russia... not that I expect you to know... lol

I looked at the photo's first and straight away I thought that looks just like Chernobyl... I've watch plenty on that subject to come to that conclusion, and I did without reading it first... but very good photo's, I said to Paul it looks like an 'H' shape from memory, OK a little maybe lol

See... as I said yesterday, Foreign Pylons just don't look British, as I said about when I went to Florida.

Regards

Jamie

17 hours ago, Pylon King said:

My guess is that the original ZF line from Midlands south to Minety/Melksham (near Chippenham) had a tee added that ran to Walham (Gloucester) and this became route ZFB but when the newer L6 4TE code line from Cowley (Oxford) came in late 60s they modified the junction to what you see now. So the eastern side L2 circuit from Feckenham crosses over via the L2 DT90 as shown; the western ZF turns to head via L8 DT and then mostly L2s down towards Walham except for last towers which were replaced by L6 towers in late 80s I think when Gloucester north bypass or whatever it is called got in way; the southern circuit coming from Walham on same towers dives under at this point - you can just see the low height tower on left of photo. This becomes the north circuit on the L6 4TE to Cowley; and finally the other 4TE circuit is linked from the L6 DT to the L2 DT90 as shown in photo.

I quite like working out where and why routes have changed. Lots of weird coding changes too but that's another story...

Cheers Paul 

• Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Ok cheers. Must have a big budget lol given the first ad was filmed on that stretch of road in woods where just about every drama car accident seems to have been filmed lol.

Cheers Paul

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, Suzie said:

Are those the ones close to the M6 or further away the big bulky looking ones the L6s? I believe they are finishing off the refurbishment of the L6 4ZWW line to Hams Hall.

Cheers Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

Are those the ones close to the M6 or further away the big bulky looking ones the L6s? I believe they are finishing off the refurbishment of the L6 4ZWW line to Hams Hall.

Cheers Paul

You are so knowledgeable Paul, how do you remember them all... and where the places are and go to and from, i'd like to know, you sure you ain't no Alien.... hahah

Yeah... I know your a huge Red Dwarf fan to... again I will ask you as a good friend, you sure your not an Alien... hahaha.... if I said I was R2D2 would you communicate back in code like R2D2 does... lol

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

I have found the link to my photobucket folder containing some of the photos I took way back in July 2009 actually, how time flies lol

Coventry Pylon Photos

A mixture of L2, L2C and L6 towers in around Coventry (Hawkesbury) - I followed them out towards Ash Green/St. Giles not far from M6 J3 - I would have gone further but I had a bus and train schedule to keep to get me back home lol

Cheers Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

You are so knowledgeable Paul, how do you remember them all... and where the places are and go to and from, i'd like to know, you sure you ain't no Alien.... hahah

Yeah... I know your a huge Red Dwarf fan to... again I will ask you as a good friend, you sure your not an Alien... hahaha.... if I said I was R2D2 would you communicate back in code like R2D2 does... lol

Regards

Jamie

I am not sure how I remember it all..... ahhhhh nooooo smeeeeggggggg.... ittttttt''''ssssss a small off-duty Czechoslovakian policeman.... iiiitttt''''sss the Bolivian navy on manouevres in the South Pacific. Yes I would probably reply in code haha. 

I just like tracking them all down. Need more OS Maps too lol those are fun to look at especially the old long gone lines.

Cheers Paul

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

I have found the link to my photobucket folder containing some of the photos I took way back in July 2009 actually, how time flies lol

Coventry Pylon Photos

A mixture of L2, L2C and L6 towers in around Coventry (Hawkesbury) - I followed them out towards Ash Green/St. Giles not far from M6 J3 - I would have gone further but I had a bus and train schedule to keep to get me back home lol

Cheers Paul

Blimey Paul

There are some great photos of Pylons there in that Link mate... Whats the type in Hazel Grove Folder like A Triangle at the tope and Four Different shaped arms.... those are unusual for the UK.

Regards

Jamie 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 7APT7 said:

Blimey Paul

There are some great photos of Pylons there in that Link mate... Whats the type in Hazel Grove Folder like A Triangle at the tope and Four Different shaped arms.... those are unusual for the UK.

Regards

Jamie 

Those are a pre-grid design of tower that used to be operated by Stockport Corporation and ran between the small power station at Portwood just to the east of the town centre and the line ran down to Macclesfield to supply power there. I would imagine it was maybe a 33kV line when in operation. Only this short stretch now exists at Hazel Grove and absorbed into the local Norweb 11kV pole network, all the other towers long since gone although there was short stretch in nearby Poynton well into the 1990s truncated from the rest and there was for many years a flattened tower in a farmers field that you could see quite well from the train window not long after Poynton heading to Macclesfield. Quite a quirky design and seemingly a one-off design as I haven't come across any the same locally yet.

Cheers Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

I am not sure how I remember it all..... ahhhhh nooooo smeeeeggggggg.... ittttttt''''ssssss a small off-duty Czechoslovakian policeman.... iiiitttt''''sss the Bolivian navy on manouevres in the South Pacific. Yes I would probably reply in code haha. 

I just like tracking them all down. Need more OS Maps too lol those are fun to look at especially the old long gone lines.

Cheers Paul

Gosh Paul you sound just like my brother for Smeghead it's his favourite line to call his grand kids now... hoy ya Smeghead ...

If I didn't know you better Paul, I'd say this is my brother I'm talking to right now, he tends to just burst out with Red Dwarf saying...lol

Me... i'm more Friends saying.... Joey aka Matt LaBlanc as the best humour by far, Rachael aka Jennifer Aniston is the best looking by far.

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Funny 1

What is interesting about the Coventry L2/L2C line is that the first tower is actually numbered YYA 3, with no sign of 1 or 2 now... however the line does appear on the OS 1:10,000 plan of 1980-1984 but not on the previous 1974-1982 version but then tower 3 does appear on part of a 1975 plan showing the power station. So my guess it was built in early 1970s but it took OS a while to fully record the line. Also at the other end of the line at Berkswell, it reverts to standard L2 towers for the last four towers nos. 56 - 59 where it terminates.

Cheers Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

What is interesting about the Coventry L2/L2C line is that the first tower is actually numbered YYA 3, with no sign of 1 or 2 now... however the line does appear on the OS 1:10,000 plan of 1980-1984 but not on the previous 1974-1982 version but then tower 3 does appear on part of a 1975 plan showing the power station. So my guess it was built in early 1970s but it took OS a while to fully record the line. Also at the other end of the line at Berkswell, it reverts to standard L2 towers for the last four towers nos. 56 - 59 where it terminates.

Cheers Paul

So I'm guessing ever tower not only as a Type L2, D3 etc, but every Pylon is numbered differently...? Hmmm so I guessing like on the OLE on Main Lines that every Gantry as a Number, same goes for Lamppost to on a Motorway or anywhere else that that matter,,,

I guess that is TRUE, so they can refer to a fault at such n such of place so to speak... the lightening struck Pylon xyz... so everything as a reference number of some description to locate in the times of a Power Out... Would that be correct... ? Kind of makes sense really...

Regard

Jamie

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

s

So I'm guessing ever tower not only as a Type L2, D3 etc, but every Pylon is numbered differently...? Hmmm so I guessing like on the OLE on Main Lines that every Gantry as a Number, same goes for Lamppost to on a Motorway or anywhere else that that matter,,,

I guess that is TRUE, so they can refer to a fault at such n such of place so to speak... the lightening struck Pylon xyz... so everything as a reference number of some description to locate in the times of a Power Out... Would that be correct... ? Kind of makes sense really...

Regard

Jamie

Yep every tower should have a tower number and a unique code that applies between two or more substations/power stations etc. So for example the L2 ZF tower that we saw in the photo posted by Pylon King starts at the former Drakelow power station just to the south of Burton-on-Trent - you can see what is left of it from the train window travelling between Birmingham and Burton on the east side. There are four other L2 lines that start at Drakelow too plus an L6 line. The ZF line would have been constructed in the mid-1950s as a bulk load line taking power from the power stations in the Midlands in this case Drakelow down to Wiltshire.

Along the way a branch or tee line goes off and as this is a sub-line of ZF is duly coded ZFA - this goes to the former Ocker Hill power station via the substation at Great Barr - the one alongside the M6/M5 triangle. The ZF line continues south towards the former Hams Hall power station where it meets two L6 lines though the lines have been altered around here. Then further down it picks up an incoming L2 line via a special tee - the tee goes to Berkswell as L2 line YYE. After meandering around the south and east of Birmingham it comes to Feckenham.

Originally there was no substation here so the line was split and two short diversion L2 lines ZFC and ZFF take the now two lines to the substation where they meet up with the ZN line - this also originated at Drakelow but come round the north and west side of the West Midlands. Further south we come to the double tee shown in the photo above where the ZFB and 4TE lines meet. Then it is pretty much a straight run down to Minety substation - I think this was added later given the extra tower numbers. Then it heads to Melksham substation where line ZF terminates at tower 505 - though there are more towers in total than that.

At Melksham two more L2 lines feed in ZG from Hinkley Point and YYM to Bramley and the L3 line to South Wales - the one that crosses over the River Severn on those huge river crossing towers. Also a later L6 line 4YX which also heads off to South Wales.

All good fun cheers Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Cheers Paul

It must be the 4ZWW line. Very distinctive with double insulators on one circuit with single on the other, and the twin top conductor on the single insulator side with the quads on the other two conductors.

This document refers to 4ZWW:-

https://www.nationalgridet.com/document/132516/download

Page 29 mentions work stopping for two years due to nesting birds and a few other problems! Now we know.

Edited by Suzie
Extra info
  • Like 2