Leeds London Road . Yard magnets and control panel

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

So I had a delivery of more ballast.. and have used it all. Some photos tomorrow of some almost finished ballasted areas. Still needs completing and weathering.

Next up.. bufferstop manufacture and fitting.

Baz

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

…. and don’t forget that when you have finished your ballasting you promised to come and do mine.  All for the price of a mug of a good mug of tea I seem to recall.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, BoD said:

…. and don’t forget that when you have finished your ballasting you promised to come and do mine.  All for the price of a mug of a good mug of tea I seem to recall.

Ready when you are!

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Busy day for Red Leader @LNER4479. He has been busy cutting baseboards for the engine shed. He has taken numerous photos of progress.

Me? Brewed the tea, made lunch and almost finished 2 coaches.

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, lofty.ian said:

If you've been building baseboards, does that mean plywood is now available over your side of the hills?

Nope, bought it ages ago.. and should be just enough to finish the layout. I didn't do any woodwork..Red Leader did it all.

Baz

• Like 2

Yes - time to tackle the loco shed area. I love loco depots (despite having worked on a few in my time)

20210819_150810.jpg

Hitherto, some uprights with no apparent purpose had been sticking up alongside the wall to the left of the goods sidings ... but now some additional battening has appeared in earnest.

20210819_150940.jpg

To be followed by two 9mm ply baseboard tops, temporarily plonked for now.

20210819_171536.jpg

Most of the rest of the day was spent wrestling with the well-engineered but rather precisely defined Heljan turntable pit. I'd blithely drawn a 70ft-ish circle on the track plan but this thing is somewhat larger. Creating the well space was achieved by my usual make-it-up-as-you-go-along technique. 

20210819_174812.jpg

Anyhow, we did end up with that board firmly fastened down for keeps and here is the likely track plan. Furthest two roads away are the loco shed itself with inspection pits outside (still to be dug), then a further dead-end road alongside. Nearest roads are a classic one-way arrangement on and off the table with a coal wagon siding in between (although we can play tunes on that)

20210819_180543.jpg

And the t/t pit itself (with a slightly weird khaki camouflage pattern, known only to Heljan).

Will require one more visit to complete installation of t'other board then we should be in business. 

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

As for me.. well I need some more ballast to get the goods yard finished , some more buffer stops to make, install and weather and some minor electrical work to do before the return of Red Leader. 

Progress is great.. the Heljan turntable well will be ... weathered.. looks like a World War 2 Panther tank at the moment.

Onwards and upwards as they say!

Thanks for all the hard work and many calculation undertaken so far!

Baz

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Yes - time to tackle the loco shed area. I love loco depots (despite having worked on a few in my time)

20210819_150810.jpg

Hitherto, some uprights with no apparent purpose had been sticking up alongside the wall to the left of the goods sidings ... but now some additional battening has appeared in earnest.

20210819_150940.jpg

To be followed by two 9mm ply baseboard tops, temporarily plonked for now.

20210819_171536.jpg

Most of the rest of the day was spent wrestling with the well-engineered but rather precisely defined Heljan turntable pit. I'd blithely drawn a 70ft-ish circle on the track plan but this thing is somewhat larger. Creating the well space was achieved by my usual make-it-up-as-you-go-along technique. 

20210819_174812.jpg

Is 'temporarily  plonked' a tecnical term.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Looking good but looks like quite a stretch into the corners.

Turntable looks like spinning gold disk on my iPad!

Robert

Turntable reminds me of the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory lollypops and boat ride...

Baz

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

So 

after the woodworking frenzy of Red Leader I have been busy doing some work on the layout

Ordered some more of the darker ballast

812460422_nearthesignalbox.JPG.de203cc83fb3f3157e4c2de335ce9eaf.JPG

so that I can finish the goods yard.. filling in odd gaps as shown in  the photo. It does not need to be neat and tidy. Some yards were but this is an ex LNWR part of the world now under the control of the North Eastern Region at York.  I must check with Alan Smith about how good or bad the ballasting/track was around the yards in Leeds.

17736643_therunuptothemainlineweathered.JPG.3aa134cc58f3b7d22cf6ef7f09a6c1c6.JPG

Some of the track has started to be weathered. . Heavy oil in the middle of the track as the track here is going up hill. The lower track is the lead in from the Fiddle Yard.  Downhill its just gunk flung out by813804968_nearthecrossoverweathered.JPG.3ed1c669ddef1f6b47daa8f0c9506768.JPG the locos' motion.

and the crossover between the up and down lines allowing access to the fiddley yard.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Barry O said:

Testing the turntable!

Very smooth and it slows down as it approaches the "stop" position.

Was the sound of Blues n Twos prototypical of the area when turntables turned?

• Funny 3