Trying to trace a railway modeller article

Talking to someone on Facebook about suitable RTR locos to convert to Caledonian locos. This chap mentioned that a couple of years ago though he can't remember exactly when there was an article in Railway modelers about converting a Hornby King Aurther to a Caledonian Pickersgill 956 class.

Can any one remember or have a copy of the issue they could copy the artical for me. Even the issue date would help as I might be able to order the issue.

Thanks Steve

Just paint it blue. It'll look at least as much like a 956 as it does like an Arthur ;).

The Hornby King Arthur is one of the best RTR models available. Don't mistake the current/recent version with the 1970s Sir Dinadan.

Why anyone would want to ruin one is baffling though.... 

;)

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Oh come on Jason a lot of Scottish CME spent time down south at one point or another and we all know most Souther built (general area not company) locos are just Scottish locos just built in the wrong place (he says with more than a little tounge in cheek)

Edited by Londontram

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby King Arthur is one of the best RTR models available. Don't mistake the current/recent version with the 1970s Sir Dinadan.

Why anyone would want to ruin one is baffling though.... 

;)

Jason

Can't find anything at the moment, but I'd think that any such article would have been published long before Hornby got round to doing a proper model of a King Arthur.

My indexes are fairly complete back to 1966 (at least where articles I have retained are concerned) but I don't think the Sir Dinadan came out that long ago anyway.

I also think it was 1970s.

Looking at photos of the 956 class, though, it occurs to me that the B12 might be a better starting point than a Sir Dinadan, which looks even less like a 956 than it does a King Arthur. :jester:

Whatever the basis, the name of Ken Chadwick springs to mind as a possible author, either in the Modeller or one of his (I think) two books on r-t-r conversions. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Thanks chaps I was only going by this other chaps hearsay so it was always going to be a long shot.

To be honest it was more out of interest and curiosity than any thing else as the 956 class falls out side my period of modeling.

Thanks again now I can concentrate on matters to hand and goodness knows I've got enough projects to worry about without thinking about any more.

If it's an old article then there was one for the CR Class 60s in the mid 1970s. I think the article name had Greyback in the title.

Jason

That's the article I was thinking of. I was pretty sure it was in one of the first RM's I bought in the late 60s from Laygate Model Shop, and here it is in March 69.  Not quite the summer of ...  

Tombstone and Crockett's Creek: Peter Morris

STEP refrigerator wagon: D. R. Austin

Portishead station: Mike Farr

Advance uncoupling: D. R. Mensford

The fine line problem solved: E. E. G. Murrell

Railway Modeller Cup results - Vivien wins!

The Caley "Greybacks": G. A. Russell

Coaches of the LM.S.: 60ft flush-sided composites: Ken Morgan and David Jenkinson

Industrial steam : Inglis 0-4-0ST: Tony Sparks

Locomotives of the G.W.R. - The ugly ducklings: C. J. Freezer

Ambition on the branch: Colin R. Penfold

The G.K. & T. joint railway: R. Smith

COVER PICTURE: "Jim Bowie" in the mountains heading for Minden, on the Tombstone and Crockett's Creek Railroad. (Photograph by Roger S!ack.)

here....

http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/railway-modeller-magazine-march-1969-issue.html

I wonder how many of those authors are still around, apart from CJF and DJ? It was nearly 50 years ago after all.

Pete

Edited by swampy