Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

Excellent build Ade, the Toad is looking first class.

Very neat soldering too, George has taught you well.

8 hours ago, gismorail said:

Some cracking work on the brake van I do admire your resolve to tackle a brass kit so early in your modelling career :huh:. There are some locos I'd love to build which come in the form of brass and white metal but I haven't plucked up the courage yet . Should just do it I suppose :crazy_mini:

Come on Martin, I'm sure you'd be able to knock out a nice 7mm brass loco ok after seeing your other modelling!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jintyman said:

Excellent build Ade, the Toad is looking first class.

Very neat soldering too, George has taught you well.

Come on Martin, I'm sure you'd be able to knock out a nice 7mm brass loco ok after seeing your other modelling!!!

Jinty ;)

Very kind words David :laugh: for me its a confidence thing 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin, I was really nervous of trying a brass kit at first.

Much credit goes to George for showing me how to solder and also to Jim McGowen. I explained to Jim that I was a  novice at these but had been making plastic models since I was a kid and he said those skills were easily transfered to building a brass kit.

I am really enjoying the build.

Give it a try!

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Toad is almost built.  Just the handrails to do now. I managed to solder the white metal parts ok.

The roof is still just placed on for the photo.

Given it a trail run and pleased to say it runs nice.

Finally got a start date from the builder too!

Cheers, Ade.

20190706_222629[1].jpg

20190706_222701[1].jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

:D

I think one day I might do a loco. But lots of wagons and carriages to go at first.

Forget to mention that I decided to upgrade to some Slaters buffers and added these today.

Cheers, Ade.

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The builder has made a start today! :D The shuttering for the log cabin concrete base is down and the concrete is coming first thing Saturday morning. The cabin is now on order and should be here in 3 to 4 weeks. This is the manufactures photo of the cabin I have on order. It is 3m x 8m in size. I have ordered an extra couple of windows for the side. Thinking of going for a GWR inspired chocolate & cream paintwork.  

Cheers, Ade.

Avon-Grande-3x8-3_xl.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

The builder has made a start today! :D The shuttering for the log cabin concrete base is down and the concrete is coming first thing Saturday morning. The cabin is now on order and should be here in 3 to 4 weeks. This is the manufactures photo of the cabin I have on order. It is 3m x 8m in size. I have ordered an extra couple of windows for the side. Thinking of going for a GWR inspired chocolate & cream paintwork.  

Cheers, Ade.

Avon-Grande-3x8-3_xl.jpg

That's a really nice railway 'studio' you have ordered now things will really get going ...wonderful. I would however make a very important point as I noticed that you mentioned painting it in GWR colours .....don't paint it !!!!! it needs to be covered in a spirit based wood preservative ....I stress 'spirit ' based as in my opinion the water based coatings don't let the wood breath as I used this type on some doors at a property I rent out and over the years they have rotted because of this. The spirit based preservative is more expensive but it's worth it .....trust me !!

Also make sure you fix some very fine mesh around the base to stop any rodents getting underneath the shed it will also keep beneath the shed clear of any leaves / debris and help with the airflow around the base which is important. 

Best of luck and as I have always said ' Every good man should have a shed  or man cave ' 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the advice Martin. I have been doing a bit of research on paint finishes and I am going to go down the route you have recommended. Hopefully my one eyed killing machine (Patch the Cat) will keep any rodents at bay too!

Cheers, Ade.

20190602_145951.jpg

Photo added
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Hello Ade, Cracking workshop / layout room really envious, are you going to Telford our gang can only do Sunday if you want to meet up ?  l will be looking for a loco kit hopefully a bulleid  WC/BB ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi George, thanks. I am really excited about the build now. The shuttering is up and the hardcore fill is in place.

Lez and I are off on hols to Egypt in August and we fly home in the early hours of the Saturday, so Sunday is my only option too. I will play it by ear as the flight home is rather tiring (5 Hours) so I will see how tired I am.  A Bulleid sounds great, one of my favourite locos! Are you going for a rebuild or a Spam Can?

Cheers, Ade.

Log_cabin_build_base..jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

On 11/07/2019 at 20:15, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi George, thanks. I am really excited about the build now. The shuttering is up and the hardcore fill is in place.

Lez and I are off on hols to Egypt in August and we fly home in the early hours of the Saturday, so Sunday is my only option too. I will play it by ear as the flight home is rather tiring (5 Hours) so I will see how tired I am.  A Bulleid sounds great, one of my favourite locos! Are you going for a rebuild or a Spam Can?

Cheers, Ade.

Log_cabin_build_base..jpg

I like the look of this shed ......even got rid of the lawn so no time to be wasted cutting the grass ......unless you've gone plastic like Andy ......is there any garden let :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin, we still have 50% of the garden left. We are going to re vamp the design of that now. Lez wants a hot tub with a rail track from the cabin which would feature a Gin train. :D

Prior to joining the Antiques trade 5 years ago (turning my militaria hobby into a job) , I spent 26 years running my own gardening business. One of the first tasks when we moved here 20 odd years ago was to put 12 ton of gravel down to eliminate grass cutting. Last thing I wanted to do was cut another lawn at the weekend!

Concrete is going down as I type.

Cheers, Ade.

PS Added an extra photo of the base.

20190713_084703[1].jpg

Concrete_base.jpg

Extra photo
  • Like 10

Ah so the shed base picture was only a small  corner of the 'Stevenson Estate' ......so if there's going to be a 'Gin Train ' I can only imagine that somewhere in the new shed there's going to be a 'BAR' wonderful idea :fan:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Started thinking about the electrical power supply to the cabin.

We are going to have the house re wired and have the sparky add the power supply to the cabin at the same time.

Obviously it will need lighting plus three pin sockets for the controller plus work bench etc. My question is to folks who have similar buildings is how many sockets would you add?

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

We are going to have the house re wired and have the sparky add the power supply to the cabin at the same time.

Obviously it will need lighting plus three pin sockets for the controller plus work bench etc. My question is to folks who have similar buildings is how many sockets would you add?

Cheers, Ade.

In my opinion you can never have enough!! I have no clue on the current regulations, (pun not intentional!) but obviously limited by the supply cable.

It's unlikely they would all be in use at the same time with high loads.

Regards, Deano.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade, If you want to come and have a look at my set up again your more than welcome.

Firstly I have a 2 fuse board inside, one for outside lights etc and one for inside power. I then have the inside split at a switch and a Red LED outside, so that at night I can look out of the window to ensure the Ring Main is off and no Controllers, Soldering Irons or Heaters are left on. The other side of that goes to ONE SOCKET for a small night heater panel for cold winter night.

Give me a bell if you need to come and have a look mate.

Edited by Andrew P
add?
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Deano747 said:

In my opinion you can never have enough!! I have no clue on the current regulations, (pun not intentional!) but obviously limited by the supply cable.

It's unlikely they would all be in use at the same time with high loads.

Regards, Deano.

I have 4 main sockets down one side, and then an extension to the other side of the shed, there is never more than one controller, one heater and maybe the soldering iron on at any one time, Oh plus of course some music.

• Like 1

When I first built my shed I sited a double socket in each corner as a starter. This is fine if you are building portable layouts as power can be simply taken to the point of use via an extension lead. If you are building a permanent set up you soon realise that the sockets on the walls become inaccessible so you might want to leave the final positions until you have worked out exactly where your electrical supply will be required until you have planed the layout. When I get home tonight I will post some pictures of how I have approached this situation .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

That is one super workshop.  You should be as snug as a bug in there, to me it's a perfect size for a layout, not so big it becomes the impossible dream and large enough for operational interest or even just playing trains.

I was in the food industry and in the last place I designed I put the sockets on the ceiling.  This could be a useful idea for you, as you could have a few blue sockets on the ceiling with a plug trailing lead and a trailing 13 amp socket.  This could be moved around at will  for the soldering iron etc, without demolishing the signals scenery and so on.

It's all looking very nice,

best wishes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1