Ade's 7mm layout: Malmesbury station

Adrian Stevenson

10 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Stunning pics there Ade, good to see you this evening and thanks for coming around.

If you need a hand with the Sound chips, give me a call.

He'll want salt & vinegar on them though know he's had lessons from Paul he he 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the photo as it is one I have not seen before. You are right, the line did not feature autofitted engines.

Mike does cover some of the track changes. 

I am doing bullhead all round, as I am not up to making track yet.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Met up with George T and Ian for breakfast at Doncaster show today. Always nice to meet up.

Picked up the 16 ton Toad Brake Van kit off Jim McGowan today. Also got some Slaters wheels and some extra soldering kit plus some Stay Alive capacitors for the DCC locos.  (More work for Andy P!) So a very nice day all in all.

The builder should be making a start on the log cabin base this next week.

Here are a couple of snaps from Llangollen last weekend. We bought a day rover ticket and spent Sunday riding the trains. The BR Standard 4 tank and the Large Prairie were in steam. Picked up Martyn Welsh's book on weathering while I was there off one of the stalls for a couple of quid. Had a great time.

Cheers, Ade.

20190526_131237.jpg

20190526_111046.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have done some extra weathering on some of the wagons. These had already being airbrushed as seen in some earlier pics in this thread. I have now used Agrax Earthshade to the interiors plus a bit of drybrushing and then applied some weathering powders by MIG.

Here is a before and after shot of the Underwood private owner wagon in as purchased condition and now fully weathered.

Underwood wagon un weathered.jpg

Underwood wagon.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

1 hour ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Had not planned on starting the 16ton Toad kit yet, but a wet day has changed my plans. Got parts cut out from the fret and had a go a forming the rivetts on the solebars.

Toad Brake Van solebars.jpg

Very brave Ade, but it looks like a very professional job so far mate.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much to report since my last post.

The lousy wet weather has set my builder back, so no start on the concrete base. 

But the brake van build is progressing. Got all the rivets embossed and all the folding done to the van sides, solebars etc.

We are off to the Severn Valley Railway this coming weekend in the camper van. 

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Had a go at my first attempt at some soldering of the kit tonight. Inner doors put on and one end fixed in place.

After a quick wash and brush up I am quite pleased with the results. Thanks again to George T for the lesson!

Cheers, Ade.

GWR_Brake_van_kit_1.jpg

GWR_Brake_van_kit_2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

6 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Had a go at my first attempt at some soldering of the kit tonight. Inner doors put on and one end fixed in place.

After a quick wash and brush up I am quite pleased with the results. Thanks again to George T for the lesson!

Cheers, Ade.

GWR_Brake_van_kit_1.jpg

GWR_Brake_van_kit_2.jpg

Are you serious mate, that looks the mutts nuts, are you sure you have just started? 

Well done, what's next, a GWR King?

Another weekend away so catch up next week mate.

• RMweb Gold

Update on the brake van build. Solebars done, roof finished (but not fixed on yet), windows ledges added, sand gear and brakes fitted.

Still awaiting the builder to do the concrete for the cabin which I am now a bit hacked off about....

Cheers, Ade.

GWR_Brake_van_kit_6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Update on the brake van build. Solebars done, roof finished (but not fixed on yet), windows ledges added, sand gear and brakes fitted.

Still awaiting the builder to do the concrete for the cabin which I am now a bit hacked off about....

Cheers, Ade.

GWR_Brake_van_kit_6.jpg

Morning Ade, I didn't know whether to do a LIKE for the Brass Build, or a Friendly for the fact that the Builder is missing all this fine weather and you could have the Cabin built by now.

I'm a bit on the busy side this week, but will catch up when I'm back from holiday next week, by that time the Brake Van should be completed, the Cabin base laid, the Cabin built and the baseboards all up and fitted ready for some Track Laying.:o

No pressure then.:good:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some cracking work on the brake van I do admire your resolve to tackle a brass kit so early in your modelling career :huh:. There are some locos I'd love to build which come in the form of brass and white metal but I haven't plucked up the courage yet . Should just do it I suppose :crazy_mini:

• Like 2