Jump to content

Hornby - New tooling - 57' Bow-ended suburban coaches


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, vulcanbomber said:

Has anyone added lighting to these coaches, I notice one of the wheels is so it should  be easy to fit spring pickups

Not as easy as some Bachmann coaches with live stub axles with insulated centres, where the pickups are already in place.

 

Edited by melmerby
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I see Rails are selling theses coaches at £39.99 at the moment, l must admit l am tempted, however does anyone know if they worked as 4 car sets on the Severn Valley line between Hartlebury and Shrewsbury in the 1930s?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blobrick said:

I see Rails are selling theses coaches at £39.99 at the moment, l must admit l am tempted, however does anyone know if they worked as 4 car sets on the Severn Valley line between Hartlebury and Shrewsbury in the 1930s?


there’s an issue of gwrj (4 or 5 from memory) that sets out the rotations the coaches made.  The diagrammes were fairly convoluted but centred around Snow Hill I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 21:12, Blobrick said:

I see Rails are selling theses coaches at £39.99 at the moment, l must admit l am tempted, however does anyone know if they worked as 4 car sets on the Severn Valley line between Hartlebury and Shrewsbury in the 1930s?

 

Hartlebury to Shrewsbury was primarily served by Worcester and Shrewsbury for the 5 through trains each way per day. Photos suggest fixed sets weren't really used and a ragtag mix was the norm, so I'd mingle them with corridor stock rather than constrain them to fixed sets. Timetables suggest regular traffic from Birmingham division seems more of a post Nationalisation weekend thing too. There was one Sunday service that ran from Snow Hill with a 07:22 departure and 20:00 return known as the 'Fisherman Special', that one might possibly have produced Birmingham division 4 sets in the '30s.

 

The price is worth it and they are rather attractive models, so ultimately I'd apply rule 1.

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

 

Hartlebury to Shrewsbury was primarily served by Worcester and Shrewsbury for the 5 through trains each way per day. Photos suggest fixed sets weren't really used and a ragtag mix was the norm, so I'd mingle them with corridor stock rather than constrain them to fixed sets. Timetables suggest regular traffic from Birmingham division seems more of a post Nationalisation weekend thing too. There was one Sunday service that ran from Snow Hill with a 07:22 departure and 20:00 return known as the 'Fisherman Special', that one might possibly have produced Birmingham division 4 sets in the '30s.

 

The price is worth it and they are rather attractive models, so ultimately I'd apply rule 1.

 

Thank you Zunnan

 

I appreciate your input on this subject. The photos l have found so far support your comments. I am only to well aware that its nice to see uniform rakes of coaches, which as this and numerous other threads have proven was the exception rather that the rule.

 

Many thanks 

 

Bob C

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blobrick said:

 

Thank you Zunnan

 

I appreciate your input on this subject. The photos l have found so far support your comments. I am only to well aware that its nice to see uniform rakes of coaches, which as this and numerous other threads have proven was the exception rather that the rule.

 

Many thanks 

 

Bob C

My Sister & her Husband had a static caravan North of Bewdley overlooking the River Severn and the Severn Valley line, I used to visit regularly in the late 50s/early 60s.

The trains I can remember were many and varied from Diesel Railcars in red/cream, maroon & diesel green (complete with stripes)  43XX on mid length trains with variable stock, the odd goods train and various tank engine hauled trains.

I don't know what the route restriction was but I can't recall anything bigger than the 43XX although there might have been. (It was about 60 years ago!)

  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

My Sister & her Husband had a static caravan North of Bewdley overlooking the River Severn and the Severn Valley line, I used to visit regularly in the late 50s/early 60s.

The trains I can remember were many and varied from Diesel Railcars in red/cream, maroon & diesel green (complete with stripes)  43XX on mid length trains with variable stock, the odd goods train and various tank engine hauled trains.

I don't know what the route restriction was but I can't recall anything bigger than the 43XX although there might have been. (It was about 60 years ago!)

 

 

Hi Melmerby

 

Thank you for sharing your memories, its always nice to hear recollections from people who were there and saw first hand.

 

Cheers Bob C

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.