RhB Om workbench, (and layout eventually)

PaulRhB

On 11/11/2023 at 09:19, PaulRhB said:

Out of the box

IMG_0783.jpeg.d2ae3a4576ebe80bea2f7bfa996ac594.jpeg

Front skirt and coupling added

IMG_1010.jpeg.880f094b540f6208c88392d076e8198e.jpeg

front step and the train supply connector added next to the headlight

IMG_1013.jpeg.23ab6c1a5c81be4f8a0e3f8f253bde4d.jpeg

IMG_1014.jpeg.426387fcc268c02a553321f0f48af444.jpeg

Stunning model Paul! I do like 0 gauge models, they make so much more of an impact than other scales, largely due to their size I’m sure.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
On 23/03/2023 at 12:42, PaulRhB said:

Two scratchbuilt hoppers that just need a little fettling and weathering. 
7672070D-BC38-4F3A-829C-81E603F61745.jpeg.d1162c857fea73c1134a8c805da3c5de.jpeg

Those are nice little scratchbuilds, they capture the prototype very well!

These hoppers were made in RTR lettered for the RhB, but I spent ages searching for them.

I repainted the first (grey) one I acquired as one of the two GFM hoppers of this type. Much later I found a yellow one for sale, which I've done nothing to (yet). It may end up as GFM Fd 762, or it could be an MOB one (the MOB and GFM often borrowed ballast hoppers from each other) or it could even be a faded yellow RhB one as I've seen some of them in use on the MOB!

IMG_3372.JPG.ca0ea601e18d90ae756223320fd3a3fa.JPG

IMG_3371.JPG.d26b5b0969af454fbfd98ceddb0beec9.JPG

IMG_3370.JPG.8c34de9c6bcf84e7caf077375783702b.JPG

• Like 3

Are there presently many manufacturers active in Om or are we largely relying on old stock from Alpinline, Kiss and predecessors?

The Bemo Om range is new since I was focused on Om but seems very limited and the prices stand comparison to what I was paying for secondhand handmade brass models a decade ago. 

The expensive brass manufacturers like Ferro-Suisse, Fulgurex, Lematec, Model Rail seem less active in Om these days if at all.

Cheers,

Mol

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Are there presently many manufacturers active in Om or are we largely relying on old stock from Alpinline, Kiss and predecessors?

The Bemo Om range is new since I was focused on Om but seems very limited and the prices stand comparison to what I was paying for secondhand handmade brass models a decade ago. 

The expensive brass manufacturers like Ferro-Suisse, Fulgurex, Lematec, Model Rail seem less active in Om these days if at all.

Cheers,

Mol

No it’s really just Bemo or the hugely expensive brass, but there’s a fair amount at lower prices on eBay. The Bemo stuff is equal to it but mostly plastic

• Like 1

Many thanks. Who made the bogie hopper wagon that you weathered so nicely?

I know ModelRail AG made them (and may still have one in stock) but I'm not sure that yours is one of those.

https://www.modelrail.li/fileadmin/uploads/2023/08/lagerliste.pdf

ModelRail AG still seem active.

Having had a further search online, Fulgurex and still exists in some form but not making anything in Om:

http://fulgurex.ch/news/

Ferro-Suisse has recently been bought by another firm, it's not clear if they are still producing Om models (and they made some good track):

https://ferrosuisse.ch/

Lematec seems to be promising Glacier Express panoramic coaches but has no current models:

https://www.lematec.ch/en/shop/6-gauge_o/

The 4-wheel hoppers I've got were by a firm called Jago and I think they might have been their only Om product.

This list of Om manufacturers is at least a decade out of date:

https://www.metropolitrain.com/om-scale.html

I've got a moderate amount of RhB stock made by Kiss as well as the Utz/Fama/Alpinline stuff. Some is good for conversion but TBH I've got more than I'll ever need!

Cheers,

Mol

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Who made the bogie hopper wagon that you weathered so nicely?

It’s Alpinline as far as I can see along with the bogie oil tank and four wheel luggage van. 

've got a moderate amount of RhB stock made by Kiss as well as the Utz/Fama/Alpinline stuff. Some is good for conversion but TBH I've got more than I'll ever need!

I assume that’s mostly the 4 wheel vans?  Yeah I know about that, I’ve got three RhB coach sets in the red plus a Bernina Express set and two FO GEX panoramic coaches plus some EW1’s in FO too. 
I only need two sets but it pays to have some spare 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s Alpinline as far as I can see along with the bogie oil tank and four wheel luggage van. 
I assume that’s mostly the 4 wheel vans?  Yeah I know about that, I’ve got three RhB coach sets in the red plus a Bernina Express set and two FO GEX panoramic coaches plus some EW1’s in FO too. 
I only need two sets but it pays to have some spare 😁

Ah, many thanks. I recall looking at the expensive brass bogie hoppers some time ago and deciding that I couldn't really justify them for the Broc branch. GFM/tpf had some similar ones which would have been seen at Bulle, but not actually very similar when you start looking at the details. A plastic model might not be so daunting to modify! I should note that the expensive brass models I do have were bought when Swiss Francs were 2.5 to the Pound, which made everything a lot more affordable than it is now!

1979-11-03, GFM, Grandvillard

As for the Kiss models, yes they are mostly vans plus one or two high-sided opens and a Krokodil. I'll stop trampling on your thread now and get back to my own - sorry!

• RMweb Gold

As for the Kiss models, yes they are mostly vans plus one or two high-sided opens and a Krokodil. I'll stop trampling on your thread now and get back to my own - sorry!

No you’re welcome, if you need to get shot it’s always worth asking as a lot of my stuff came through knowing Bob & Josh thru forums ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following some searching with the unknown situation on Ferro Suisse track I found this chap in Germany using Code 100 rail. 
https://herzynia-weichen.jimdofree.com

He was doing handbuilt ones but has upgraded to printed bases. 

Response from Heinz-Rudolf Ott

The switches are then no longer produced in this form. There are printed switches made of plastic. with small irons and only with articulated tongues.
(Drawing below)
The prices for the new switches have not yet been determined, but they will cost around €120.

IMG_4094.jpeg.ffee560017564d176731b33a92726958.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Points arrived fast and very well wrapped. 
Came to £147 incl post and Heinz-Rudolf is very easy to deal with. Sad in a way the new points are more but based on this they will be a quality product. 

IMG_4551.jpeg.0e8066df69c629beeefa0c60bedc121e.jpeg

Bemo track top left, chairs supplied separately to fit. 

IMG_4552.jpeg.d90c16f378164ec8a3117105fcb628c2.jpeg

Rail profile compared, needs shimming up but easy to adapt a fishplate with a shim. 

IMG_4550.jpeg.28d9273d794f0f2226d04cd9443fd398.jpeg

Sleeper grain compared

• Like 4