Cleaning loco wheels

Hi, I have a couple of Hornby Fowler Tanks, both bought second hand. Neither run well. I know the conventional wisdom is try them on analogue, but I think the issue is simply dirty wheels and wipers. As cleanses is vital with DCC, any special tips on how to do heavy maintenance to get em running freely?

Hi Ron, couldn't see a relevant thread, though I may have missed something. Cleaning and running in is especially important for DCC layouts. Happy to delete or move the thread.

Rather than giving a terse three word negative answer, you would probably be better asking in 'Modelling Question, Help and Tips' section

Dave

Edited by dasatcopthorne

No answers yet?

New models are often over-greased, maybe as a precaution against sitting on a shelf for moths before being purchased.

Nothing really beats a strip down, clean & re-lubricate with a light oil. A coating of graphite should also work well.

For solid deposits on wheels, a fibreglass pencil can be used. The fibreglass which flakes off is a skin irritant though.

Isopropyl alcohol removes a lot of dirt effectively. Methylated spirits is an alternative to this but its colouring can remain as an unwanted residue.

Hi Ron, couldn't see a relevant thread, though I may have missed something. .......

Hi Mike,

You don't need a relevant thread, although it's always useful if there is one running, to ask there to prevent duplication.

What I think you may have missed, is the section headings, with regard where to post.

DCC Help & Questions.

DCC Discussion Topics (not questions).

Best regards

Ron

• Like 1

Hi Mike

I only clean wheels with isopropanol and cotton buds theses days.

I don't like abrasives because they all generate dust which gets everywhere.

Don't forget to clean the wheels of all your rolling stock, not just engines.

Coaches and wagons are really good at dragging muck around the whole of a layout.

Please ignore short and terse replies.

Good manners are free.

Best

John K

• Like 1

Take the shell off the train, turn it upside down put the chassis on a piece of foam and connect its motor to 12vDC with crocodile clips, grab a load of cotton buds and clean the wheels to a mirror finish with PEEK metal polish whilst the wheels are turning. Your train will run better than it ever has before. after you have done, give every pickup a squirt with, SERVISOL SUPER 10

Im in electronics sector and use servisol daily, its mega stuff for pickups, its designed to clean wipers inside potentiometers for enhanced and prolonged electrical contact, one squirt of this will keep the phosphur bronze pickups clean for months.

Edited by Graham Radish
  • Agree 2

Hi MIke

I built my own bit of track-cleaning track using some up-turned brass brushes (for cleaning barbeques) and glued to a small baseboard as can be seen in this pic.

Works in much the same way as the Gaugemaster GM60 as mentioned by RAFHAAA96 in post #9  above.

Especially useful for 'cleaning' factory-blackened wheels!

32973974438_54459a9ec4_c.jpg

However, it is likely to scratch the wheel surface so I also upturn the loco, power the wheels with a short length of track wired to 'flying leads' and use 1200 or 1500 grit wet and dry paper followed by a cotton bud soaked in Isopropyl alcohol (also known as 2-propanol, sec-propyl alcohol, IPA, or isopropanol).

Picture is of a Bachmann BCK in which I installed track-powered lighting (with small stay-alive) and a switchable, working tail lamp (as can be seen glowing at the end of the carriage).

I made it switchable in case this coach isn't at the rear or the train.

Fabrication is photo-documented in this post (on another forum) >> https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42970

Hope this helps,

Art

Edited by Art Dent
  • Like 2