Drewry O4 in 7mm

Nicktoix

Thanks to some time off on furlough I've made progress with one of mine,this is the first etched brass loco I've built so it's tested my skills a bit but has been an enjoyable kit to build,was going ok until the soldering iron jacked in!.

Rob

20200622_201932.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Lord Flashheart said:

Thanks to some time off on furlough I've made progress with one of mine,this is the first etched brass loco I've built so it's tested my skills a bit but has been an enjoyable kit to build,was going ok until the soldering iron jacked in!.

Rob

20200622_201932.jpg

Looks great!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lord Flashheart said:

Rob

20200622_201932.jpg

That's great work for your first etched kit. Well done.

Nick

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping to put some more pictures of mine up but I just realised I soldered about half the handrail knobs on the cab on the inside so am sorting that. D'oh! Teach me to do it when watching TV.

One thing I have done is I decided to change the method of holding the motor and gearbox still -  was forever catching things on the original and it would have been in the way of how I want to wire it up.

1110303383_7-gearboxstay.jpg.ba42129db9d0c681049d6ce3a4021742.jpg

I used the same 1.5mm rod as the fuel filler pipe because it's very stiff. On the underside the rod passes through a drilled out nut so there are two points of contact meaning it doesn't move. When I get a M1.6 die I'll thread the end and put a nut on it to hold it in place as whilst it's quite tight it could work loose over time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Handrail knobs on the right side now!

365371094_8-Cab.jpg.26278793c2d17bdb08a9921da4041328.jpg

The cab front is totally upright I promise - the camera makes it look like it is leaning a bit. I'm finding that the footplate is a bit wide for the buffer beams - there's about a half millimetre gap either side. I don't think I can re-bend the footplate so not sure what to do about that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another slow progress day but my 10BA die did arrive so I've finished the gearbox stay - seems to hold it nicely.

2124462695_9-gearboxstayunderneath.jpg.3beed8ce9ff4ad00d2a1f5c7fd2a672d.jpg

I really need to give the chassis a clean - all sorts of flux residue going on :(

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow 6 weeks. Alas work and work around the house has kept me away from doing what I want to do!  I've done some small bits and pieces but I invested in an RSU recently and this was the first real test of it - 

The steel plate is still a work in progress - I need a countersink bit for steel then I can finish that up.

You can see I've added spacing strips all the way round the roof vent. Then I rolled it and have not put solder cream around it.

22749714_10-RoofventreadytoRSU.jpg.fee8715581306f54ecafde17d1b70791.jpg

As the roof isn't flat I chose to use my rolling bar for the roof to rest on. It's stainless steel but has just enough magnetic properties for the magnet to gently hold it.

824139905_11-holdingmethod.jpg.7dfe1b9a78bf9bee4793be0e71346697.jpg

Then I put the roof on, and around I went with the RSU. You can see a couple of carbon spots where I forgot to take my foot off the pedal before removing the probe. Still learning!

1508054452_12-RSUinplace.jpg.2c404f81f2b63669fc405fd5923b2508.jpg

Very pleased with how it's come out, it's firmly attached and a tiny amount of cleaning up. Wish I had the RSU earlier, would have made the engine housing a lot easier!

• Like 2