Yorkshire Janus 0-6-0 'R A Lawday' at Trafford Park Estates

montyburns56

I've bought one of those cheap Oxford Rail BP Janus locos that Hattons were selling off cheap in order to make it look like the one that ran at Trafford Park in the 90s. The trouble is I'm struggling to find a spray paint that matches the colour, which seems to be similar to Freightliner Green, but does anyone know of one that is a close match and comes in a spray?

Another issue is trying to recreate the Trafford Park Estates roundel and the R A Lawday nameplate, but I can't find any close up pictures of either. Does anyone know of a source or have one in their collection?

R A Lawday

If it's any use the loco is an ex ici runcorn loco (I think) and was a similar colour to how the loco at llangollen finished up. when I did mine I used a colour from halfords which came out very near. Only problem is that I've moved since doing it and cant find the can off hand. So it might be worth a look there. Sorry cant give u the exact colour

20190207_081250.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Gareth, hopefully mine will end up looking similar to yours. Funnily enough I have also found a picture of Janus where the shade of green is different to that on the picture I posted, but is very similar to the shade of green that you have used. I wasn't sure if perhaps it had been repainted during it's life at Trafford Park or if it was just an issue with the colour reproduction of the photograph.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally found a colour which was a fairly close match called RAL 6029. I've spray painted the main body and brush painted the wheels. I didn't want to buy spray paint just for the handrails etc so I brush painted them, but the paint was a bit lumpy and the result wasn't too great. I've also done some small mods to the body such as the blanking off of the air?? vents on the bonnet to make it look more like the TPE Janus. The end result won't win any modeling awards, but considering it's the first time I've spray painted a model the results aren't too bad.

I still haven't painted the end handrails as they were modified quite radically in order to fit the marker lights fitted to the prototype. That brings me to my next question as I wondering if anyone know of any company that makes marker lights similar to the ones fitted to LA Lawday or can anyone think of a way of easily reproducing them? Also I'm still no closer to getting a square on picture of the nameplate or of the TPE roundel, so I can try and reproduce them.

dscf1933b.jpg

dscf1932b.jpg

DSCF1931b.JPG

Edited by montyburns56
pic size
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...