Larger radius 009 or HOe points?

fezza

Does anyone have any recommendations for 009 or HOe large radius points, preferably something that would look acceptable with Peco 009 flexible track?

The Heljan Lynton and Barnstaple locos don't like Peco medium radius points; the Bachmann Baldwin can sometimes be unreliable on N gauge wide radius insulfrog peco points.  That seems to leave only Peco finescale N electrofrog large radius as the only option for a line that uses both.  Will I need to butcher these or are there better option out there?  I understand Tillig are quite good but haven't seen these anywhere in the UK so am unable to test.

Thanks for any advice.

• RMweb Gold

Micro Engineering in the USA do an HOn3  No 6 crossing nose turnout both left and right hand.

I've not used their small scale stuff, but their larger scale stuff is excellent.

Other than that, I'd always suggest that you check the back to back distances on the wheelsets, just in case they need pulling in or opening out.

As a last resort, you could always make your own track using copper clad strip and Peco rail. The first point work I ever made at the age of 15 was made this way (and it was in 009).

Not pretty to look at, but it worked.

Edit: The ME track in HOn3 is code 70 rail.

Edited by Happy Hippo

• 1 month later...
On 14/02/2019 at 15:04, Happy Hippo said:

Micro Engineering in the USA do an HOn3  No 6 crossing nose turnout both left and right hand.

I've not used their small scale stuff, but their larger scale stuff is excellent.

Other than that, I'd always suggest that you check the back to back distances on the wheelsets, just in case they need pulling in or opening out.

As a last resort, you could always make your own track using copper clad strip and Peco rail. The first point work I ever made at the age of 15 was made this way (and it was in 009).

Not pretty to look at, but it worked.

Edit: The ME track in HOn3 is code 70 rail.

Isn't the ME H0n3 track 10.5 mm gauge?

Edited by JZ

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, JZ said:

Isn't the ME H0n3 track 10.5 mm gauge?

Good point.  The answer is probably yes.

Going back to  suggesting making your own pointwork: We have just started the two 'beginners' off on building turnouts in 00 gauge using copper clad strip and phosphor bronze rails.

The results have been excellent, and they are now sold on the idea of making all their own stuff rather than buying in. 

Tillig HOe points are about 15" but they are quite "delicate" when compared with the more robust Peco offerings. From that other thread if you do the modifications on the Heljan loco it should go through the Peco 12" points I thought?