N Gauge Coaches suited to GWR branchline workings??

Hello Folks, I'm reviewing my existing collection of N Gauge rollingstock in thoughts of future modelling projects. I have two older Graham Farish 57ft suburban coaches. A full coach, and a half brake, as in the attached photo taken from Ebay. While these coaches are described as suburban, would they be out of place on a rural branchline? Suggestions of other N Gauge coaches suited to rural branches, eg the Fairford Branch, would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

s-l400.jpg

Edited by TTRAK_Andrew

• RMweb Premium

What era? Pre or post nationalisation?

Dapol make Collets, B-Sets and Auto-trailers; B-Sets and auto-trailers would be suitable for a GWR branch. The Collets are more suited for later periods - i.e. into BR(W) times.

Farish make Hawksworth & Auto-trailers; Both are for later period GWR - i.e. 1940s.

Your existing coaches are very old models; I believe they are lossely based on LMS/SR coaches; That said, being a non-corridor design they wouldn't look out of place on a branch line.

If you're looking at a BR era branch then Farish Suburban Mk1s are also worth looking at.

Steven B.

• Like 1

Whilst not a strict prototype of anything - coming from a period when model railways in RTR form used a lot of generic moulds and painted them different liveries - they are none the less a pretty coach and if pulled by a GWR pannier or 45xx they would not look completely out of place.

There are Dapol models available for the B-set - the 'standard country coach' (even though there were a few other designs) or the Collett coaches or the archetypal auto trailer again by Dapol.

With a Dapol Pannier, 45xx (no longer available new), a 14xx (no longer available new) and a Bachmann 64xx you could create a nice branch.

Luckily B-sets and Autocoaches are still available new in GW liveries to go with your coaches.

• Like 1

Thank you for the input folks!! I had a suspicion that the Graham Farish coaches were not accurate to a GWR prototype. It is good to know that they are passable for a `generic' GWR branch for exhibition display . Here in Auz there is not a high density of GWR prototype intensive modellers attending exhibitions and so they will do, although a Dapol B Set might be considered if more coaching stock is required. The layout project is still a year or two away as I have a current Australian N scale prototype modular layout I am displaying.
https://ttrakandrew.wordpress.com/2018/10/27/curdies-gully-single-track-t-trak-modules-progress/

The Fairford branch certainly inspires me as it favours a modular approach with two stations, one at each end with exits through road over bridges to fiddle-yards, and separated by a stretch of "ruralilty" and lots of cameos and Oxford Diecast delights.

http://www.fairfordbranch.co.uk/Plans.htm

Alvescot and Lechlade would allow that.

Thanks again. Andrew G. of Auz.

Edited by TTRAK_Andrew