Eastpoint Yard ( Fictional Canal Wharf )

hi on one end of my layout i want to put a small yard (for HO/OO 0-4-0 loco's probably pushing a max of 2 trucks at a time) for simple shuting whilst the main layout runs in background. but i am having issues finding tight turnouts (as small a radius as pos), do people tend to build them or is there a good supplier etc..

trying to learn templot atm just in case i have to build etc, but my god thats complex (due to complex subject i fear) 

any help appreciated, as next q' is about rewire/remotor old 0-4-0's to make them run smother etc.. 

Edited by calvin Streeting

• RMweb Gold

For what you are looking to achieve, learning Templot might be overkill. Very little of what you want to do would conform to normal practice. I would trace two sets of rails and build from that to suit.

This is as good as i can get aerial photo. the main test curve is about 5'5" radius.. and trucks seem to make it.

The complex bit is tight turnouts and thats probably going to effect the radius (for the worse)

at the moment i am still trying to work out the layout of track and building, as a warehouse in end section would be my plan, maybe viewable inside, form layout edge (bottom of photo) atm,  

any ideas , thoughts is always helpfull, but i love mirco layouts and want a kind of micro layout on the end of a bigger one. :) i am not even sure what goods etc yet

20190218_224837.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

update: 

Test on yard turnout are going well ..   might have to get some metal gear servos, rather than cheep ones  and slow down this 0-4-0 as ludicrus speed is a bit to fast... and get a stay alive chip to avoid 0-4-0 pickup problems.. (but not turnout is elector frog, and hence 2 switches to flip power atm..  could put it on Thingyverse as "work in progress" if anyone is intrested ? :)

20190306_212222.jpg.17865e4f5299eeda7f22ff3a071818ca.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Test of 3d printed yard track turn out, using horndy 0-4-0 desiel and guagemaster DCC27 and home built "Stay Alive" cap 

Note: the only times it stops is when rocrail set speed to Zero. (not due to pickup Failure etc

Still need to replace couperling, but i think thats a go ahead with yard track... (or at least print more parts etc..  VERY HAPPY ...  

• Like 1

hi. its a single blade (like some tram turnouts :) and uses a micro servo that fits into a removeable part between the rails, this module is inserted from above so if the servo fails it is easy to lift out and repair etc, without lifting track etc.) you can see that i only have 1 module installed (and thus where it fits on the distant one.. :) i will post some autocad pics soon

this video shows it moving :)

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

ok managed to get in CAD, here is a screen print of the servo module. the servo horn is kept under the to plate and pushs the rail, at wheel flange depth, i dd this to keep it all out of sight so not as to effect the look to much, and it can be painted like a steel plate :) 

hope thats understandable :)

here is a screen print of the servo bit in its 2 states.  and a bit of main turnout

Capture.JPG.98788b1f78d544db590d94844ea963cc.JPG

and this view shows (kind of) the slot for the horn

Capture.JPG.9dbe06cfeb6ae8987bcdb95f931c9590.JPG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

A 3d printed coupler :) 9mm x 9mm x 9mm

After 4th attempt to rob a old relay of its wire, and wind my own coil, using lego :) took ages and lots of &*&# 

but anyway test 2 complete.. success. now to learn coli maths and build transistor gate so not to blow up DCC chip,  ooh and buy wire as easyer than robing it

• Like 1

Yay on 3d printed hand wound (well lego) magnetic coil couplers

my little 0-4-0 diesel shunter  (not a little as some of you lot, but small enough for me.. anyway going to google for respraying it and new decals etc.  as want a private fleet of about 4 loco's so work out a livery time :) i am also going to replace buffers with a beam afair to avoid buffer snag on tight curves 

20190317_214109.jpg.c2ea72d0571b169d960da84c1e4ce64a.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all i think (hopefully) you will apriciate this bit of my layout 

Finaly think i found a motor not to noisy and about right speed for the Canal Pump House Engine :)

and a close up through door... 

Not to displeased with the sound it makes either :) happy accident

ooo and all drawn (didn't design it Bolton & Watt did  :) ) and 3d printed... 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, hartleymartin said:

Have you thought about trying some nickel silver strip? Old trick, use some metal strip to support the flanges from dropping into the gap, but if electrify it you may find that it helps with electrical pick-up.

intresting yep but not look 100% atm.. :) but its defanity a option. do you have a supplier site ?