NCE power cab keeps shorting

I'm a relative newcomer to DCC and am using a NCE powercab to control the layout that I am building.  I am laying it in stages and wiring points etc as I go.  I have a separate power bus and accessory bus and have then wired into DCC concepts PSX1.  I had successfully wired in 3 peco point motors using DCC ASX decoders, the points are completely insulated and have separate track feeds and everything worked fine.  I then wired in a double slip and an ordinary point, controlled by DCC cobalt ip point motors and the controller kept shorting out.  I connected the track bus and the accessory bus separately and it only seems to be when the track bus is connected that there is a problem.  When the accessory bus is connected the points all work as you would expect.

I have checked that there are no short circuits and that I don't have wires connecting.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

It may be the problem is with the Double Slip wiring up with the motors (do you have two motors, one for each of the two frogs?) Not intending to be in any way patronising, but have you connected the correct frog wire to the correct point; it should be the motor furthest from the frog if you get my drift).  Also the point motors, (if they are Omegas) need to be faced so that the wire clips sections are facing one another so I was informed.

It could, of course, be nothing to do with what I am saying but I did have this problem when faffing with a Double Slip just a couple of weeks back.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Hi

On 21/02/2019 at 23:48, dasatcopthorne said:

What about when the accessory bus is disconnected and the track bus is connected.

Any short?

Dave

It still shorts when only the track bus is connected and even if I bypass the PSX it still shorts.

On 22/02/2019 at 07:02, GWR_NZ said:

Hi,

I think I had this same issue - please read the posts under my thread - hopefully this is the same issue (with the same fix)

Edmund

Hi,

A GWR man I assume with a liking for Calvin and Hobbs....I like it.

My problem still occurs even if I bypass the PSX so I don't think that is the problem and it was working fine until I added a couple of new points.  However, I will "RTFM" as the addition of the points may make a difference.