RMWeb no longer registers in my browsing history

Hmmmm, on experimenting I find that if I go to RMWeb via a Google search, I do then get an entry in my browsing history but it gives only a redirection back to the RMWeb home page, with no record of other pages I have visited within the site. This is no use at all if I want to quickly get back to a page that was of interest a few days ago, but to which I did not contribute, unless of course I'm expected to have the ability to immediately remember for myself the precise location of everything I've recently seen on the site, or to manually log every visit page as a "favourite" just in case I might want to quickly find it again .

It was always so much easier to just refer back to browsing history for the last few days and go straight back to the page that was of interest.

Why is this happening? Are others finding the same? Is somebody trying to force all visits to the site to start at the home page in order to boost ratings? If so, that's not going to encourage me to keep using the site......

• Moderators

Why try to indicate we are at fault? If it was working a few days ago and isn't now it tends toward a local browser issue.

You may find it more useful to use the site's bookmarking facility anyway rather than relying on your browser. If you had to clear history for any reason you would lose them anyway.

As my browser is still, as stated above, logging all individual pages on all other sites and displaying these in browsing history, how does that make it my browser's problem? I cannot recall a single occasion on which I've had to clear my browsing history, so the suggestion that it is better to start on yet another new and unfamiliar policy by using the site's bookmarking facility instead is not helpful. What do you suggest I do please, to restore the status quo ante, as a non-expert in IT with only an understanding of traditional English meanings of traditional English words?

• Moderators
19 hours ago, gr.king said:

What do you suggest I do please,

As I have had no similar problems reported from other users and cannot reproduce the problem at this end I cannot give any useful advice other than to reiterate that using a site function which gives portability across browsers or devices and resilience to loss of localised settings - 

You have not advised what browser you are using or OS details so any other response would be based on generic solutions. My standard advice to anyone with browser issues is to delete any RMweb cookies and temporary internet files and login afresh but I'd doubt you do that as you'd probably lose your history anyway.

The problem is not server-side and, therefore, neither is the solution.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't tend to use browsing history especially since we can now bookmark pages from within RMWeb. However, having looked at my history, Windows 10 PC with IE11, it would appear that no history has been recorded since Wednesday, though it is being recorded within Edge. Checking update history, windows wasn't updated until yesterday, but if you click on 'BRM Spring' issue from the Home page, which displays a jpg, this is recorded in the history, as are other external links from the home page

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If it helps at all to know, OS is Windows 7 and browser is Internet Explorer.

Will anybody who is itching to tell me to use different software that they personally like please note that I am not seeking recommendations to change from my familiar arrangements.

• Like 1

Tried the first two methods, to no avail, pretty much as I expected since the problem relates to only this website rather than to the whole performance of my browser. Method 3 involves too much potential disturbance for me to consider applying it at this stage. Will perhaps try it later.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gr.king said:

Tried the first two methods, to no avail, pretty much as I expected since the problem relates to only this website rather than to the whole performance of my browser. Method 3 involves too much potential disturbance for me to consider applying it at this stage. Will perhaps try it later.

As Andy suggested, perhaps you could just clear out any cookies you have stored, that shouldn't impact on anything else.

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, egg on my face now, so please insult me as you see fit, stick the boot in etc.

Whether it is related or not, after another windows update this morning I now have "unread content" in today's browsing history, although that seems to be the only page that has been remembered....

• Informative/Useful 1