MMRG Exclusives 37026 Loch Awe Limited Edition

Lochnagar

Renumbering…..

The list below are the locos that you can do a straight re-number job on. Basically these locos were Vulcan built, splitbox both ends, riveted roof, nose doors (not sealed panel) and un-refurbished.

I haven’t concerned myself with square headlights, “Halfords” headlights, white stripes, orange stripes, fishes, dogs, sparrows etc. as these can be added with a little modelling; the locos in the list are essentially those locos with the same bodyshell as the MMRG model of 37026.

(Disclaimer I – look at detailed photos of your chosen loco to be 100% sure before you start)

(Disclaimer II – I’m happy to be corrected if something has slipped through the net)

37006 / 37007 / 37009

37010 / 37011 / 37012 / 37014 / 37015 / 37016 / 37017 / 37018

37021 / 37022 / 37023 / 37026 / 37027 / 37028 / 37029

37033 / 37034 / 37036 / 37037 / 37038 / 37039

37040 / 37041 / 37044 / 37046 / 37048 / 37049

37050 / 37051 / 37052 / 37054 / 37055 / 37056 / 37057 / 37059

37060 / 37061 / 37063 / 37064 / 37065 / 37067

Also worth mentioning 37037 and 37049 could also be renumbered as 37321 and 37322 in BR blue with large bodyside numbers but NOT large logo. 

Edited by wirey33
See post lower down (27/08/19)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 22/08/2019 at 15:30, wirey33 said:

Renumbering…..

The list below are the locos that you can do a straight re-number job on. Basically these locos were Vulcan built, splitbox both ends, riveted roof, nose doors (not sealed panel) and un-refurbished.

I haven’t concerned myself with square headlights, “Halfords” headlights, white stripes, orange stripes, fishes, dogs, sparrows etc. as these can be added with a little modelling; the locos in the list are essentially those locos with the same bodyshell as the MMRG model of 37026.

(Disclaimer I – look at detailed photos of your chosen loco to be 100% sure before you start)

(Disclaimer II – I’m happy to be corrected if something has slipped through the net)

37010 / 011 / 012 / 015

37023 / 025 / 026 / 029

37037 / 038

37040 / 046 / 048 / 049

37051 / 054 / 055 / 057 / 059

Also worth mentioning 37037 and 37049 could also be renumbered as 37321 and 37322 in BR blue with large bodyside numbers but NOT large logo. 

Super work! Exactly what I had planned on putting up if I had more time at the moment. Thank you Sir.

Alex

2 hours ago, wirey33 said:

37078 - Roof rivets need to go, additional can’t rail grill dividers. 

And if you’re modelling it in railfreight petroleum, a rather splendid piece of strapping on the No.1 end doors. 

https://flic.kr/p/275cpcJ

That picture shows it sitting on cast bogies not fabricated ones.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, royaloak said:

That picture shows it sitting on cast bogies not fabricated ones.

Well spotted. As if the class of 308 didn't have enough bodyshell detail differences you had to start talking about bogies ;-)

I'm not sure if Bachmann have ever done both versions of the bogies; cast and fabricated? Answers on a postcard... 

Anyway, I'd class a bogie swap as "major modelling ", far more involved than a few cosmetic changes. And to be honest, 9/10 people wouldn't spot the difference anyway.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, wirey33 said:

37078 - Roof rivets need to go, additional can’t rail grill dividers. 

And if you’re modelling it in railfreight petroleum, a rather splendid piece of strapping on the No.1 end doors. 

https://flic.kr/p/275cpcJ

I'm actually going to correct myself here....for 37078, the roof rivets can stay; which makes this quite an easy conversion.

And as addendum to the list above, the following are the same body shell as 37026, except for the RSH cantrail grills.

37119* / 37001 / 37002 / 37003 / 37004 / 37005

37069 / 37070  / 37071 / 37072 / 37076 / 37078

37080 / 37081 / 37082 / 37083* / 37084 / 37085 / 37086 / 37088 / 37089

37090 / 37093 / 37094 / 37095

* Both 119 & 083 had plated ends and doors at various times in the BR blue / Sectorisation period – check your reference photos !!

Well spotted. As if the class of 308 didn't have enough bodyshell detail differences you had to start talking about bogies ;-)

I'm not sure if Bachmann have ever done both versions of the bogies; cast and fabricated? Answers on a postcard... 

Anyway, I'd class a bogie swap as "major modelling ", far more involved than a few cosmetic changes. And to be honest, 9/10 people wouldn't spot the difference anyway.

37419 in EW&S back when they were first released had 1 cast and 1 fabricated bogie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

What can I say, I like bogies!

Um moving on. :blush:

• Funny 2

I picked up my 37026 on Saturday from Alex and planned on getting another to do as 027 , ideally i would like to do all 5 of the original blue 'Lochs' so who would know what the differences are between them? which would be a straight forward renumber and which would need mods? you all probably know which ones they are but for anyone who doesn't the list is below

37026 (BOUGHT ALREADY)

Theres also numerous other ones i'm interested in doing but i'll leave that list for another day :rofl_mini:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

I picked up my 37026 on Saturday from Alex and planned on getting another to do as 027 , ideally i would like to do all 5 of the original blue 'Lochs' so who would know what the differences are between them? which would be a straight forward renumber and which would need mods? you all probably know which ones they are but for anyone who doesn't the list is below

37026 (BOUGHT ALREADY)

Theres also numerous other ones i'm interested in doing but i'll leave that list for another day :rofl_mini:

Man, there are some lazy people around...

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, wirey33 said:

Not Lazy at all , just don't know what differences to look for , i lost interest in railways nearly 30 years ago and was only 13/14 when i first encountered the Scottish 37's , at that age you tend not to be looking at what differences there are apart from the obvious split/centre head code boxes and gangwayed/flushed noses

I only came into model railways a couple of years ago and as i'm going to attempt to build an exhibition layout i wan't to get things right

I was genuinely asking for a little assistance that's all

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wirey33 said:

And forums are a nice place to help and share if someone asks nicely and is enthusiastic ;) 

Maybe a pointer or two to sources or your post at the top of the page rather than that? 

These photo books might help too, they turn up on eBay and Amazon for £10-25 but I got all three under £15 by being patient. 

Scottish Class 37s

Volume 1&2 By Nick Meskell 

Train Crazy Publishing 2007

Flickr also a useful source to search. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

And forums are a nice place to help and share if someone asks nicely and is enthusiastic ;) 

Maybe a pointer or two to sources or your post at the top of the page rather than that? 

These photo books might help too, they turn up on eBay and Amazon for £10-25 but I got all three under £15 by being patient. 

Scottish Class 37s

Volume 1&2 By Nick Meskell 

Train Crazy Publishing 2007

Flickr also a useful source to search. 

Thanks Paul

I'm keeping an eye out for those books , i have Vol 3 but my modelling plans have changed recently and now plan on concentrating on 1980-1985 pre Large Logo 

• RMweb Premium

For detail queries like these, Flickr should be your new best friend! Get the App installed on your phone and it’s even quicker than desktop, it’s great for easy reach armchair modelling and I’d say almost invaluable nowadays...my tip is enter your loco number followed by the year and you should have a decent number of shots to go with! :good:

I’ve been tackling loads of Class 37s lately (18 and counting, to be precise! :lol:) and Flickr just makes it a blast to get the detail 100% bang-on, no more having to make do with grainy shots of a single side/end from a magazine etc! 

All the roof variations can be made up easily in styrene strip, or sanded down and filled as required. Ends can be swapped around easily too, just unplug and move between others in your fleet, it’s a fun balancing act! Rainbow Railways also sell spares if you need centre headcode boxes for example. I made some cast bogies recently by sanding off the raised detail and vice versa I had another old Bachmann 37/4 cast bogie that needed modifying to a fabricated version so it is possible to make amends just by glueing some styrene strip on, and it holds well in handling and regular use!

Also, if the model is like other recent Bachmann releases then the printing should come straight off within about 60 secs of applying enamel thinners, leaving you with the nice background for your new numbers, don’t forget to apply a gloss varnish layer to the background before applying the new numbers otherwise the decals will silver-over and may look terrible, an overall coating of matt varnish to the whole model prior and after weathering will see you home!:ok:

Enjoy the project!

James

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

37026 (BOUGHT ALREADY)

The other "original" BR Blue Loch's are more or less a straight re-number/re-name from an 026,  apart from 081 which was an RSH build so to be accurate would require the extra cant rail grille support strips added. The BR Blue "Loch's" also had Black Headcode boxes/Lower White body lining stripes and ScR Car type headlights fitted at various times.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Not Lazy at all , just don't know what differences to look for , i lost interest in railways nearly 30 years ago and was only 13/14 when i first encountered the Scottish 37's , at that age you tend not to be looking at what differences there are apart from the obvious split/centre head code boxes and gangwayed/flushed noses

I only came into model railways a couple of years ago and as i'm going to attempt to build an exhibition layout i wan't to get things right

Puts us in the same group. 

i was probably a few years younger travelling with my dad on twice yearly pilgrimages to Scotland, 26’s / 27’s, then 37/0’s + Ethel, then 37/4’s and within that few short years, everything went to the 156/158.

back then, Lima was your friend.. we didn’t care for the specifics, we just wanted the closest approximation... Lima only had toolings for 37/0,37 central headcode, + headlight, no headcodes at all (37/5). We were lucky to have refurb and no -refurb nose side grills.

Not even a tooling for “as built buffer beams), but as long as the livery was right we didn’t care... the Lima 37 gave us more variations than any other rtr model in history back in the day..., finally they added horns to the roof and went bust.

modellers don’t know how lucky they are today...yet still want more... it’s great that Bachmann gives such variation, but also ability to cut/shut features to suit, my quick count gives at least 15+ possible variations... that’s real ones (if you did 15*14=180 possible, more than BR had).

Edited by adb968008

16 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Probably vol 1 then, I’m a large logo addict and with 5 already haven’t quite weakened on this yet ;) 

iv'e actually had a rethink yet again and extending the modelling period to 1988 seen as i already have several large logo 37's myself , saves trying to sell them

So, I made a bit of a howler with my original list – I managed to excluded all the engines that subsequently went on to be refurbished, leaving just the ones that never got “bent”. My interest lies in the late BR / sectorisation era - so for example, I would never be interested in modelling 37028, it would always be 37505. I have a filter on the spreadsheet, hence all this batch of locos were turned off.

I’ve updated the lists now but again, if anyone spots something amiss, please let me know.

21 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

OK, perhaps I missed the smiley off the end :-)

However, I spent time and effort to compile the information that I posted and it appeared you ignored that and asked for a list of info that had already been provided.

My post           “The list below are the locos that you can do a straight re-number job on..”

Your post         “which would be a straight forward renumber and which would need mods?”

See my point?

I’m more than happy to share and discuss but I don’t want to feel like I’m a unpaid modellers consultancy service ;-)

24 minutes ago, wirey33 said:

OK, perhaps I missed the smiley off the end :-)

However, I spent time and effort to compile the information that I posted and it appeared you ignored that and asked for a list of info that had already been provided.

My post           “The list below are the locos that you can do a straight re-number job on..”

Your post         “which would be a straight forward renumber and which would need mods?”

See my point?

I’m more than happy to share and discuss but I don’t want to feel like I’m a unpaid modellers consultancy service ;-)

Thanks , my question should really be asking what and where to look for differences , i wasn't ignoring your list i had read it :)