Code 70 or 83 or Code 75 Track

GEOEng03

Morning,

I have started looking at what I need to switch to US modelling. Have already purchased a number of SD70 locomotives, but the next part that I am struggling with is the track. I have a stack of Peco Code 75 that is new and could be used, but appreciate that Code 83 is closer to US track for heavier freight (or so I have been reading). 

My questions are, shall I ditch the Code 75 and buy new Code 83 and are Peco good for the US modelling and quit representative for rail height and sleeper spacing (or are they like OO...).  Is there anyone out there using Code 75 or are they any issue with derailing etc... Suppose same is for points as well.

Or is it better to purchase US track (Atlas et al...).

Have had a read of some of the US forums and there is very little that says no, other than heated discussions between Code 70 and 83. Which I have interpreted as Code 70 being older and lighter freight  and Code 83 for the new heavy modern freight.   Also, assume that concrete is quite common place as well.

Cheers

Bryn

13 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Definitely use the 70 or 83 (or a mix with 70 on sidings etc). The Code 75 just has the wrong sleepering (ties) and much less realistic geometry.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for response, that is what I had kind of read, but was a bit unsure.  It is quite hard to see the track next to each other, given the shops by me doesn't stock it.  Assume that Peco is fine otherwise though - given it is easier to get hold of.

Cheers

The Peco code 70 isnt out yet so will have limited  range for a while  .,Shinohara has stopped production .so thats another code 70 source gone .Not sure if Walthers do code 70 or Atlas.Model Engineeering  do some code 70 .I use Peco code 83  on my SP layout but have a couple of spurs that are going to use code 70 when it comes out.The Peco track is good so at least there are no quality issues ..Surprised there havnt been more deaths by shooting on some US forums .

I used Peco code 75 large points and track for my industrial railroad "End of the spur" ties are a tad wide and short, but when ballasted and weathered,you can't really tell (in my eye's) never had anyone pointing it out at any exhibitions ( they will now) , only thing I would suggest,use the largest points you can, especial if running those sd70's

P7.jpg.edbb7aea106743ad9eefaf82ee165258.jpg  

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, long island jack said:

I used Peco code 75 large points and track for my industrial railroad "End of the spur" ties are a tad wide and short, but when ballasted and weathered,you can't really tell (in my eye's) never had anyone pointing it out at any exhibitions ( they will now) , only thing I would suggest,use the largest points you can, especial if running those sd70's

Thanks for the reply. What an amazing looking layout - must go and search RMWeb for it to look in more detail.  Is it a end to end?!

Assume that you have had little issue with running quality with locomotives and stock then?  Ok thanks for the advice on points, always used medium radius with peco for the 66's.

Cheers

Given Long Island Jack's results with code 75 on his layout, why not go with what you have, unless you really can't live with knowing it's not strictly prototypical? Many good modellers use track that's slightly 'off', and the number of people who will a) know and b) comment on it is negligible to non-existent, and if it looks fine to you, it won't matter anyway.

• Like 1

Code 83 by Peco is my way to go. 

Easy to lay, looks good and reliable.

The concrete tie variety has a slight issue with tie spacing, but once ballasted looks really good.

My home layout has just featured in Continental Modeller and I have received many positive comments about the trackwork.

https://kaleyyard.wordpress.com/tracklaying/

https://kaleyyard.wordpress.com/ballasting/

and a short video of the completed upper deck with some clips of the real thing

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rodshaw said:

Given Long Island Jack's results with code 75 on his layout, why not go with what you have, unless you really can't live with knowing it's not strictly prototypical? Many good modellers use track that's slightly 'off', and the number of people who will a) know and b) comment on it is negligible to non-existent, and if it looks fine to you, it won't matter anyway.

At least HO used the correct gauge, why ruin the effect when you've started off ok?

Unless you end up radically disguising the track through heavy blasting or excess weeds, code 83 has a heavyweight looking presence that'll suit a SD70 and makes code 75 look like 4' gauge with cast chairs.

2 hours ago, trevorsmith3489 said:

The concrete tie variety has a slight issue with tie spacing, but once ballasted looks really good.

My home layout has just featured in Continental Modeller and I have received many positive comments about the trackwork.

Thanks Trevor, Great video. Favourite bit is the race alongside the BNSF loco :D

Have read and thoroughly enjoyed the article as well and was a swing point and timed very well for my foray into US HO.  Were the helixes built by yourself, or are they RTR. 

Cheers

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, trevorsmith3489 said:

I hope we get to see an RMweb page about this superb layout. But the wordpress blog is also very good.

4 minutes ago, 298 said:

At least HO used the correct gauge, why ruin the effect when you've started off ok?

Unless you end up radically disguising the track through heavy blasting or excess weeds, code 83 has a heavyweight looking presence that'll suit a SD70 and makes code 75 look like 4' gauge with cast chairs.

Heavy blasting...now that would certainly disguise the track!

5 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

I have started looking at what I need to switch to US modelling. Have already purchased a number of SD70 locomotives, but the next part that I am struggling with is the track. I have a stack of Peco Code 75 that is new and could be used, but appreciate that Code 83 is closer to US track for heavier freight (or so I have been reading).

It all depends.  Ideally yes you would use US track, but:

1) what is your budget (no specific answer required, more of a concept question)?  If you have the budget to buy all new track then it can be a non-issue to switch, but for most of us it would likely come down to a combination of delaying the layout / delaying or not buying other items like more engines or rolling stock.

2) is this a long term layout, or more of a short term/quick learning experience and seeing if US modelling really holds your interest.  For a short term layout then the cost of switching may not be worth it, for a longer term layout you may decide it is worth it.

From a practical standpoint anything made in the last 30 years or so won't care about it being code 75 in turn of running on it, as others have mentioned the bigger issue can simply be short turnouts / tight curves.

Or is it better to purchase US track (Atlas et al...).

Peco's US line of track is considered by many to be the best available track and their announcement of a code 70 line was welcomed.

Also, assume that concrete is quite common place as well.

Going to depend on what you are modelling, but I suspect it is still quite rare for most of what would be modeled.  Need to remember that US/Canadian railroads are profit making businesses so they don't spend money unless they have to or it will increase profits (and freight doesn't complain about getting bounced around like passengers do).  Thus there will still be a very large amount to wooden ties used because it's either cheaper or because replacement can't be justified on a cost basis.

• Like 1

Thanks Trevor, Great video. Favourite bit is the race alongside the BNSF loco :D

Have read and thoroughly enjoyed the article as well and was a swing point and timed very well for my foray into US HO.  Were the helixes built by yourself, or are they RTR. 

Cheers

The helix is all my own work.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I hope we get to see an RMweb page about this superb layout. But the wordpress blog is also very good.

The Wordpress blog was started a number of years ago before RMweb was the platform it now is.

I don't have time to do both, so I am staying with Wordpress.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/04/2019 at 11:48, rodshaw said:

True, until/unless you get really into getting the track to look right, at which point it won’t look fine to you anymore.

You may have scrapped the layout and built another by then, in which case, use what you have this time around, and if you find it irks you, build a new layout.

• RMweb Premium

I would go for any Peco track smaller than code 100 except the bullhead. I don't find the differences that noticeable. I do have some very scale track (from Rapido) and find it very fragile.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:48, rodshaw said:

Hi,

after seeing the above response, going for Code 83 is the way forward I think. The picture by 298 with them altogether really has sold it for me.  But agreed, who cares as long as the person using/operating it is happy :D

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:50, 298 said:

Peco code 83/ code 75/ Shinohara code 70 for comparison...

Thanks for this 298. Most useful in allowing me to make my mind up.  I think for me, the sleeper size, will emphasis the size of the locomotives on the layout, given the 12% difference in scale size...

Cheers

• Thanks 1