Loksound 5

uk_pm

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, does appear to be a strange phenomenon which I have not experienced before. I will send it back to Charlie in a couple of days and see if he can throw any light on it. In the meantime if you do discover anything let me know. Thanks for your help.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Thanks, does appear to be a strange phenomenon which I have not experienced before. I will send it back to Charlie in a couple of days and see if he can throw any light on it. In the meantime if you do discover anything let me know. Thanks for your help.

Check the settings in CV66 and CV95 and let me know the value.

Wiggy.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick update, tried a known good decoder in my Warship and the problem persists, therefore it must be a circuitry problem with the loco, will return it to Kernow

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, 7013 said:

Just a quick update, tried a known good decoder in my Warship and the problem persists, therefore it must be a circuitry problem with the loco, will return it to Kernow

Check the decoders again in a known good loco.   One of the potential failures in the loco PCB could lead to damage to the decoder.   If the loco has damaged decoders, then I think you have a legitimate claim for consequential damage due to a faulty product. 

Hi,

I’m really thinking of getting the Loksound programmer.

Can you guys confirm that it will be able to program v3.5, v4 and v5 decoders?

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Nigel, I put the test decoder back in the original loco and it worked ok. When the loco is fixed/replaced I will try the sound decoder in it again, It was working ok, but as you say if it has been damaged due to a faulty pcb I shall be looking for a replacement from Kernow.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jim said:

Hi,

Cheers

Jim

I would like a loksound programmer but would then have to buy a pc because they do not work with Mac’s

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Hi,

Cheers

Jim

Yes.

And you will be able to receive sound files over the interwebnet as well to blow to a decoder you have. (v4 and v5 only)

Wiggy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7013 said:

I would like a loksound programmer but would then have to buy a pc because they do not work with Mac’s

You can run windows on a Mac and I know people that use a Mac in this way with the programmer but don't ask me how as I'll stick to my Mac for anything other than programming.

Wiggy.

I've bought my first Loksound 5 sound decoder as I normally buy Zimo due to better stay alive options.

The problem is the Digitrains Class 43 with Activedrive has not been adapted to the new V5 sound card. The F2 braking settings in the CV don't work anymore. I'm new to setting CV's, does anybody have any suggestions for the settings to use?

Cheers,

Simon

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

I can’t help with the braking but as far as stay alives go you can use any of the Zimo stay alives with ESU decoders, you just have to connect a resistor and diode in paralell to the positive terminal of the capacitor. (Like you do with a zimo micro decoder) On the v5 you might also have to change a CV depending how the project has been set up.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Very interesting I wonder if you can give more information on this subject.  I have fitted the Digitrains 860009 stayalive to my 2 class 08's which are both fitted with Loksound 4 micro and also to my Prairie tank  which has a zimo 648.  I just connected directly without anything between.  They seem to work fine however the class 08's do not like being programmed with the stay alive connected.

Jeremy at Digitrains tells me that this stay alive has all the charging circuits but in, so as I have said I connected directly.

What do you think, should I get the resistor/diode pair and install, also where do I get them and how do I put them together.

regards

Doug

15 hours ago, wiggy1 said:

Yes.

And you will be able to receive sound files over the interwebnet as well to blow to a decoder you have. (v4 and v5 only)

Wiggy.

Cheers Wiggy.

jim

15 hours ago, NorthBritish said:

I've bought my first Loksound 5 sound decoder as I normally buy Zimo due to better stay alive options.

The problem is the Digitrains Class 43 with Activedrive has not been adapted to the new V5 sound card. The F2 braking settings in the CV don't work anymore. I'm new to setting CV's, does anybody have any suggestions for the settings to use?

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

Converting from v4 to v5 is not straight forward.

The 'activedrive' will not be supported in the new v5 programming depending on the setup of 'activedrive'.

Along with other things like brakes etc. are now updated in the v5 and have to be reset at the programming stage when converted.

It would be to complicated to change with Cv's as I don't know the setup of that file and my alter other settings.

The easiest way is to contact your supplier for advice and see what they suggest.

I guess the decoder will have to be sent back to be reprogrammed and re-blown.

Wiggy.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Wiggy,

The activedrive sound does actually work on V5 as intended including the sound of vacuum brakes being applied with F2. The problem I understand is that the new decoder has more advanced brake options which mean the settings loaded don't work. I've been trying to adjust them myself but struggled to really work out the right settings to use. I was hoping someone on here might have a good set of CV's that I could use.

I'm sure in time Digitrains will update their program but I'd like to make use of the model in the meantime.

I've got two class 41 warship locos for sounding next which I thought I would use the same sound file.

Cheers,

Simon

10 hours ago, NorthBritish said:

I was hoping someone on here might have a good set of CV's that I could use.

I've got two class 41 warship locos for sounding next which I thought I would use the same sound file.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

Send me a PM of what you are trying to do and I'll see if I can help.

Wiggy.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Ive just had a class 25 fitted with a loksound 5 from olivias trains fitted with there sound file.

The engine noise is pretty quiet. Whats the CV to increase the volume.

Also theres now a drive lock feature that takes some getting used to. If I turn it on and select the required speed the loco stands still revving away until I turn F12 off then it moves away as normal. Takes some getting used to. 

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/olivias-trains-sound-function-sheets/olivias-diesel-electric-sound-functions-2/

1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Ive just had a class 25 fitted with a loksound 5 from olivias trains fitted with there sound file.

The engine noise is pretty quiet. Whats the CV to increase the volume.

Also theres now a drive lock feature that takes some getting used to. If I turn it on and select the required speed the loco stands still revving away until I turn F12 off then it moves away as normal. Takes some getting used to. 

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/olivias-trains-sound-function-sheets/olivias-diesel-electric-sound-functions-2/

In order do CV31=16  CV32=1   CV259=128 is max

Wiggy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/04/2019 at 09:00, Richard Croft said:

I use a 1N4001 diode and a 1k ohm resistor in parallel on the blue wire, I just twist them together and trim therm down, the stripe on the diode needs to face away from the capacitor.  Its Jeremy who told me about it when I was fitting a zimo stay alive to a zimo 648 decoder. I then realised thats all I have to do to use non ESU capacitors on Loksound decoders.

Richard

going to give that a try many thanks

Doug

I’ve just received my Lokprogrammer.

I'm starring at it in trepidation, stroking my beard wondering what utter chaos I’m going to cause myself!

Another mug of tea I think!

jim

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Or something stronger by this evening!

Will be following your progress with interest.

I’ve got a bottle of single malt ready for later...!

My plan is to create a realistic acceleration curves to match the v4 and the v5 locos.

I intrigued to see if I can alter the “max diesel sound”. On the v4 it’s cv59 but, that doesn’t seem to exist on the v5.

The sound I use is excellent but I just lower the value to 100 from 128 on the V4s as it sounds a little high pitched.

I suspect that on the v5, cv59/60 are only changeable at the initial programming stage.

jim

• Like 1