LNER Non-Corridor Brake Coach

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

Whose kit pray? 

It's obviously not the old Kirk kit

Actually it is the old Kirk kit with a few plasticard additions to the underframe battery boxes etc. And some wire handrails.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John.

The queenposts were moulded with the chassis beams that came with the kit.  You can see this in the first set of pictures that I posted - they are in the same “teak” coloured plastic as the other kit parts.

Cheers

Darius

• Thanks 1

Well done. You make me proud to see some of my old stuff being so well built that it stands comparison with more modern models.

This coach is one that I went on to produce in O gauge (and still do) and if it had not been for the Hornby loco I would have thought that your model was O gauge. Test of a well built model that it can be photographed to larger than life and still look good.

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Darius,

Superb quality build. I love the work you’ve done on the underframe. I usually replace the Kirk stuff with MJT, 

partly for the weight and partly for the better castings - especially the battery boxes and trussing. But what you have done certainly stands comparison with the MJT stuff.

How did you get the roof to fit so well? I normally have to to do lots of filing and then still end up with a gap to be filled after glueing on. But yours must be resting on as you got it off for the glazing, so the fit is exceptionally good.

Back to modelling now,

Andy

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

How did you get the roof to fit so well? I normally have to to do lots of filing and then still end up with a gap to be filled after glueing on. But yours must be resting on as you got it off for the glazing, so the fit is exceptionally good.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I glue the coach sides, ends and roof together as one unit, taking it slow to ensure that everything is fixed squarely.

I then glue plasticard “shelves” at each end that sit on the chassis/floor.  The chassis is an interference fit so no mechanical fixing is required.

EDBABA4D-B210-4C37-9A8A-F1028E939238.jpeg.e559136edbc381e2531263a2ad73c54f.jpeg

A16145D1-91AB-4679-8B26-D6520E7FED60.jpeg.e634a3d6e836bbce41a53b91b22f4f63.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1