Hi Chris

I am interested in your progress to build the Richmond branch. 

Since 2015 I am working on the same project but in n gauge and I also posted my version of Richmond station on rmweb in the card structure space.

I am working on the signals now , especially the bracket signal on the platform gives me many difficulties to build.

There is also another bracket signal along the rails, of which I am not clear, can you or someone else tell me how it looks and what it means.

Cheers Henk

Verzonden vanaf mijn Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

20200405_164802.jpg

20200405_164948[1].jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, henkholland said:

Hi Chris

I am interested in your progress to build the Richmond branch. 

Since 2015 I am working on the same project but in n gauge and I also posted my version of Richmond station on rmweb in the card structure space.

I am working on the signals now , especially the bracket signal on the platform gives me many difficulties to build.

There is also another bracket signal along the rails, of which I am not clear, can you or someone else tell me how it looks and what it means.

Cheers Henk

Verzonden vanaf mijn Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

20200405_164802.jpg

20200405_164948[1].jpg

Hi Henk!

Your layout looks great! Didn't realise it was in N until I read your text, that's really good, and captures the look of the site really well. The curve of the platform was something I had to omit as I didn't have space for it, I wish I had now though. What did you use for research?

I used the Ratio LNER lattice post signal kit to build my signals, but they're not right as the signals were nearly all NER slotted posts. I think I know the bracket you mean, it was down pat the end of the goods yard. The SRS drawing shows it, but I posted a photo of the signalling diagram at the start of this thread and there's no sign on it. I'm not going to make it, but instead have a plain post signal and a couple of ground signals underneath it.

I've been outing my garage this evening, added the goods shed board finally, and have fitted my turntable too. I was going to buy a kit for a 50 foot turntable, but ended up buying snd motorising a Peco turntable, even though its far too large for Richmond, which only had a 50 footer.

Thank you so much for sharing your photos!

Chris G

• Like 1

Last night I had a go at planning out the diode matrix for my fiddle yard.

36048A00-48FC-4509-A9FF-010EB99952BA_1_105_c.jpg.62bc70c071602f7d660739a69ceeac70.jpg

I had drawn the diagram out before I remembered that points 1 and 2 are the double slip!, but they will work pretty much the same as a double slip is basically just 2 points joined together...

I have a DCC Concepts diode matrix kit ready to build, I'm just waiting for wire, push button switches and a control panel, and then I'll need to make the mimic diagram too....

Chris

• Like 2

Hi Chris

Tthank you for your response. 

When I got it in my head to build a model railway, I immediately thought it had to be one from Yorkshire and since I cycle to England every year, especially to a girlfriend in Brompton on Swale, I also often visit to Richmond  and when I saw that beautiful station it had to be it. 

So I took my tape measure out of the panniers and measured the whole station engine shed and gasworks and made drawings of it.

Back at home I started  yo build it. 

I also discovered rmweb and bought the book North Eastern Branch Line Termini on the advice of someone from the forum and to my surprise all the buildings were drawn there in scale 1: 148. 

My measurements turned out to be good so I could continue building, but now I also had drawings from the goods shed.  After two year I broke down everything because I moved to an other house and a 1 year an d a half I started again.

Furthermore, many photos searched on the internet.

The semaphores at the end of the platform two of them are slotted post but one not, when I look to the photos. 

I did try to build slotted post signal in n gauge but for the moment its to hard for me.

Send a picture with the signal bracket at the end of the good yard it is not very easy to see and certainly you can not determine the place where it was exactly. 

This questions remain: place and what did it look like and what do those signals mean, do you or anyone else know? 

O yes a fiddle yard nobody in the Netherlands uses that it is almost typical English. 

Good that you mention it because I have to keep a place for that. 

On one of the photos you see a bracket signal with two arms that I have to rebuild , I have seen on flickr photos that it looked different. 

Hope there is someone who has an answer to my questions and otherwise I will ask them again on the signal forum.

I will continue to follow very interesting and beautiful thread . 

cheers Henk

richmond diagrams.jpg

P1050088.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Henk, I can help.

The signal/bracket you have ringed is an unusual but not too uncommon arrangement in semaphore days.

Signal 3 is the starting signal towards Catterick Bridge; the black stripe is to signify that it is showing the back of the signal I.e. the post should really go in the opposite direction for that signal.  (3D into 2D doesn’t always go!).  14, 19 and 18 are shunt arms back towards the station, into the passenger dock (direct) or sidings.  These are probably on a small bracket off the main post.

Paul.

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Hi Henk, I can help.

The signal/bracket you have ringed is an unusual but not too uncommon arrangement in semaphore days.

Signal 3 is the starting signal towards Catterick Bridge; the black stripe is to signify that it is showing the back of the signal I.e. the post should really go in the opposite direction for that signal.  (3D into 2D doesn’t always go!).  14, 19 and 18 are shunt arms back towards the station, into the passenger dock (direct) or sidings.  These are probably on a small bracket off the main post.

Paul.

I was considering omitting signal 3 and it’s associated shunt arms, as I can’t find any photos of it, and it might prove to be too expensive to have made if I want working signals(which I do)

00CBDBF5-AC31-4899-BE01-F4B6A460CF75.jpeg.b5707073e4b0ed689889c04462480ee6.jpeg

These are the signals I’ve made from Ratio kits, the arms move, but they’re all upper quadrant arms where the real Richmond has mostly NER slotted lower quadrants with a couple of upper quadrant arms. 

4C3D8EC0-9958-42C5-94D2-08DE878F2E52.jpeg.950f82bf23cc79ab82c960e633b59086.jpeg

This is my current track plan, With signal 3 showing as a plain signal arm

Chris

• Like 2

Tonight I've been in the garage again, I've laid track up to the turntable, and a little stub on the far side.

43430F41-09D8-4975-80EA-707320495387_1_105_c.jpg.12b54ca0594736856a510455af59237d.jpg

While laying the point I decided it was time to test out the Gaugemaster auto frogs I'd bought last month, as it was a newer style Peco point all I had to do was snip the wires underneath the closure rails and solder bridge wires for continuity so I don't have to rely on the point blades.

DB9BCA97-3EE7-493F-8C4F-C431B60319DA_1_105_c.jpg.883f0a783266d8fe5b47503fb4f8d814.jpg

I had literally just laid the point when I took this, so the glue is still curing

1D58BC14-2934-44BF-91BC-5E696AECF96C_1_105_c.jpg.4cbd84927c51ff5e36bb519ee63e121e.jpg

This is the auto frog. The top wire goes to the frog, and the bottom wires go to the track or to the power bus, or in my case, both, as I was adding a pair of droppers next to the point I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. 

Quick test with a loco and it works perfectly. just another 30 odd points to do now!!

Chris

• Like 1

On 20/05/2020 at 10:11, Wingman Mothergoose said:

So I was thinking about the scenic break, how does this look for placement of the break?

2AD17B58-0DC2-4FFF-B2B9-F7960DBE0FF0_1_105_c.jpg.723cd7d96b40900e43b5ca1deddc9fac.jpg

I did consider moving it a but more to the left, to give me a bit more scenic area, and hiding the DMU siding under a hillside. I would have loved to have a representation of the Easby Abbey ruins in the corner closest to the camera, but it was a fair bit further down the line and on the opposite side of the River Swale. I could use a bit of modeller's licence and include it to add a bit of interest in this area, but would it be too much?

Modellers license- if it don't go where it should and looks good put it where it looks good....

Les

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Hi Henk, I can help.

Paul.

Paul,

I don't know if the large bracket signal carrying signal 3 is a more recent addition by the LNER or even BR, but the signal box diagram I posted a the start of the thread doesn't show it, and lever 3 is shown as a spare lever!

I've done a Google image search and can't find many photos of the signalling at Richmond at all.

1971731971_Screenshot2020-06-03at09_39_02.png.763c80d963435b9649c6971de4d39dea.png

This one is in Ken Hoole's excellent book North Eastern Branchline Termini, it was taken in 1912, and shows the station approaches from signal 4, the Up main section signal. No large bucket with signal 3, but there is a balanced bracket in the middle distance that was most likely shunt arms for the platforms and goods yard

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Wingman Mothergoose said:

don't know if the large bracket signal carrying signal 3 is a more recent addition by the LNER or even BR, but the signal box diagram I posted a the start of the thread doesn't show it, and lever 3 is shown as a spare lever!

I've done a Google image search and can't find many photos of the signalling at Richmond at all.

Hi Chris,

Indeed so!

I was going from the diagram Henk posted which is on the SRS website.

In your photo you can see signal 3 but it is on a separate post and only two (not three) shunt arms on the balanced bracket.   That fits more with the signalling you have on your box diagram where the shunt arms have been replaced by discs.  My gut feel is that the complicated bracket would have been an earlier incarnation, unless it is a misrepresentation on the SRS diagram.  Later, 3 would have been removed and 14/18/19 converted to the double disc.  

Technically, it’s actually quite easy to operate a single arm from two levers, either slotted on the post or a floating pulley under the box.  For the disc version, I think it would need to be the floating pulley.  My 

Out of interest, in your photo of your lattice signals, at the top you have what could be the 3/14/18/19 bracket (!)m is that destined for somewhere else on your layout?

They are very nice signals (and that’s from a dyed in the wool (G)WR signal engineer)!

Paul.

11 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Hi Chris,

Indeed so!

I was going from the diagram Henk posted which is on the SRS website.

In your photo you can see signal 3 but it is on a separate post and only two (not three) shunt arms on the balanced bracket.   That fits more with the signalling you have on your box diagram where the shunt arms have been replaced by discs.  My gut feel is that the complicated bracket would have been an earlier incarnation, unless it is a misrepresentation on the SRS diagram.  Later, 3 would have been removed and 14/18/19 converted to the double disc.  

Technically, it’s actually quite easy to operate a single arm from two levers, either slotted on the post or a floating pulley under the box.  For the disc version, I think it would need to be the floating pulley.  My 

Out of interest, in your photo of your lattice signals, at the top you have what could be the 3/14/18/19 bracket (!)m is that destined for somewhere else on your layout?

They are very nice signals (and that’s from a dyed in the wool (G)WR signal engineer)!

Paul.

I’d actually just built all of the signals that I’d seen on the SRS diagram, with the intention of using them on the layout. The only reason I’m considering omitting it is because of the potential cost of having a working model of it built, and that I don’t know if it was a lattice post with slotted arms or a later upper quadrant affair. It was apparently fairly common LNER practice to have more than one route for a shunt signal, and that was my thinking when I altered the SRS diagram there is no signal 3 in the photo I posted as lever 3 was a spare lever at that time, so it must have been a later addition by the LNER or BR 

Chris

• Like 1

Today while I was out in the garage I've planned out the loco shed and goods yard. 

13D064D1-A4E1-4374-9259-BB22EE794560_1_105_c.jpg.fdf08d9f6703cc9278e4121bf90afa55.jpg

I would have liked more room to try and model the coal drops that were out the back of the loco shed, but maybe that's a good excuse to build a small extension board at some point. I've managed to lay one point and a bit of track toward the loco shed, not the fastest to do when you have to add the point motor, make a hole in the baseboard, convert the point for DCC operation and make sure the frog has a wire soldered to it before laying a point, while making sure that the tie bar won't catch on any sleepers on adjacent tracks!

Chris

• Like 2

Paul and Chris thanks for the information you give to me.

It's a pity that there are not more pictures of the signaling of this branch line.

I'm not sure what I will build now, we will see in the future the bracket signal on the platform gives me enough troubles to build in n gauge.

Thanks again Henk

• Like 2

Been busy on the layout the last few days, its surprising how long it takes to wire up points for DCC and fit point motors! I've fitted 5 Gaugemaster auto frogs to the last 5 point that I've laid, and have also laid the loco shed tracks with inspection pits. 

D86CF028-FFD1-4230-96EA-FE607FB2C1CB_1_105_c.jpg.5b8f0df55614b3dae63ea18306a9b6ac.jpg

Thought I would take the opportunity to line up all of my current motive power 'on shed'. So we have a V3(Bachmann), J72(Bachmann), L1(Hornby), BR Standard 3MT tank(Bachmann), K1(Hornby), K3(Bachmann) and class 101 DMU(Hornby). The Peco turntable is too large, Richmond had a 50 foot turntable I think, and the Peco kit is a 70 foot. I'm considering getting an SEF or London Road Models turntable kit at some point, as they both do a 50 foot turntable, which would look better.

3EA5B902-AEC0-45FF-966E-410E615E90B6_1_105_c.jpg.51717f14e285558bf2901e1f852975c8.jpgB5AAC7DB-1E31-4A8B-8D69-A3B37D302190_1_105_c.jpg.c7d937c6ad3e1b1caa6959f48c63d8e6.jpg

I've also started building a set of coal drops for the goods yard, no NER station is complete without its coal drops! I'm using 1mm thick card and Scalescenes brick papers, and the track will be a length of Peco flexi track, but I'm not sure how to lay the track and remove sleepers so that the rails don't go out of gauge. 

Chris

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

This morning I’ve test fitted the coal

drops to the layout, and also took the time to cut out a wedge of the board on the front of the station so I can curve the goods shed siding round. I’ve duly lifted the existing siding and temporarily re laid it to show how it will look when laid. C56C58B7-7E11-428A-99B3-BB2AF88AA8ED.jpeg.1c3250d8d2dac5d5790c8f11cc48e8c7.jpeg

There will be another board fitted here, probably around a foot long, so I may either extend the coal drops siding to give a gentler incline, or try to include the goods agent’s house....

Chris

• Like 2

Just a note on the coal drops from memory the rail was bridge rail laid on parallel baulk timbers. I recall somewhere, could be the NER records that there was dimensions that they were all built too.  So yours could be improved by gluing large cross section timbers under the rails. Please take this as a suggestion as your building are fantastic and from reading your thread I have ordered the NER branchline termini book for the plans. I am looking for a good plans for my station building for my NER branchline layout. 

8 minutes ago, DougN said:

Just a note on the coal drops from memory the rail was bridge rail laid on parallel baulk timbers. I recall somewhere, could be the NER records that there was dimensions that they were all built too.  So yours could be improved by gluing large cross section timbers under the rails. Please take this as a suggestion as your building are fantastic and from reading your thread I have ordered the NER branchline termini book for the plans. I am looking for a good plans for my station building for my NER branchline layout. 

Hi Doug,

Thank you for that, I was totally unaware of their method of construction! I have some matchsticks in my kit box that would work perfectly I think, glue them on and then weather them suitably?

Ken Hoole's book is a great resource, and helped my scratch builder massively when he was researching the signalbox and loco shed for me. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

HI,

Great project - following with interest as I live just down the road.  The curved line around the goods shed that runs through and out to the front of the station is a quirky isn't it?  Here's a picture showing it if you haven't already got this one - a tank wagon is parked there front and centre.  

You might know this, if so, apologies for sticking my nose in - but on the photo (I collected a lot together when I was going to build this) it doesn't look like the track was inclined up to the coal drops - but instead the approach road from the bridge end dropped down below the level of the tracks.  I walked round the back of there recently and the road is quite a bit lower than the rest of the ground there.

816781394_Richmondstation.jpg.3d9f9f6a5bc9b0abf306c051e2b96bdd.jpg

However that could be quite onerous to do now and would mean cutting away some of your baseboards.  Again, sorry if you know this already - great project.  

Cheers... Alan 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alan Kettlewell said:

HI,

Great project - following with interest as I live just down the road.  The curved line around the goods shed that runs through and out to the front of the station is a quirky isn't it?  Here's a picture showing it if you haven't already got this one - a tank wagon is parked there front and centre.  

You might know this, if so, apologies for sticking my nose in - but on the photo (I collected a lot together when I was going to build this) it doesn't look like the track was inclined up to the coal drops - but instead the approach road from the bridge end dropped down below the level of the tracks.  I walked round the back of there recently and the road is quite a bit lower than the rest of the ground there.

816781394_Richmondstation.jpg.3d9f9f6a5bc9b0abf306c051e2b96bdd.jpg

However that could be quite onerous to do now and would mean cutting away some of your baseboards.  Again, sorry if you know this already - great project.  

Cheers... Alan 

Hi Alan,

The baseboard I'm using for the goods yard is the one I originally built for my fiddle yard, I am aware that the coal drop siding was level and didn't have an incline, but I'm reluctant to start cutting it up if I'm honest! 

That photo is in Ken Hoole's book unless I'm mistaken, and I have referred back to it several times! 

I could do with getting back up there soon for a proper field trip, I had both my younger sons with me last time and they get bored quickly so I couldn't explore as much as I wanted to! It's a fair way from my home in Derby too, a good 2 and a half hour drive and well over a 200 mile round trip, and that's before I factor in fuel costs. When the lockdown business is over and public transport gets back to normal I will take advantage of my railway travel passes and get up to Darlington and see about getting a bus over to Richmond so I can spend a few hours exploring and taking photos

Chris

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1