Hebden Exchange - Advice needed

Earl Bathurst

Finally after much planning and help from members on this forum construction has started on the layout. 

Until 3 years ago i had always modelled British Railways Western region. After a change in gauge and following the work of Tony Wright and many other modellers, this inspired me to delve into  the Eastern/ North eastern region of British Railways. 

The era  i am modelling is 1950s until 1965. (Occasionally rule 1 will apply).

Harlequin (Phil) gave me a huge amount of help with the track plan. Below you can see the final result.

image.png.7f3babf1f6494019a624508c3dd489b8.png  

Hebden General is completely fictional. The real Hebden is in West Yorkshire. I wanted something with a northern feel and i really liked the name so here it all begins. 

Using Tim Horn baseboards has been the best decision i've made. They are excellent quality and worth every penny. Highly recommended and his service is top notch.

Updates will follow during the construction.

Any questions please feel free to ask

Edited by Earl Bathurst
  • Like 10

Good introduction and definitely one to follow. You have developed a really interesting trackplan there, which should offer lots of operating potential. It's good to see a larger home layout being developed. 

The Tim Horn baseboards look superb and well worth the investment. What is the overall size of the layout?

I look forward, too, to following this, as I am very familiar with Hebden Bridge and with the Calder Valley in general.

One thing I would suggest, if you wish to help place your fictitious layout into a context that sets it firmly in that area, is to allow for a canal, or at least a river, flowing somewhere near, or under, the main line. There are few parts of the Calderdale route where that does not occur! A fair amount of your plan should also be set on embankment and/or in cutting. This is not the Fens!

• Agree 2

On 02/05/2019 at 14:18, Earl Bathurst said:

Finally after much planning and help from members on this forum construction has started on the layout. 

Until 3 years ago i had always modelled British Railways Western region. After a change in gauge and following the work of Tony Wright and many other modellers, this inspired me to delve into  the Eastern/ North eastern region of British Railways. 

The era  i am modelling is 1950s until 1965. (Occasionally rule 1 will apply).

Harlequin (Phil) gave me a huge amount of help with the track plan. Below you can see the final result.

image.png.7f3babf1f6494019a624508c3dd489b8.png  

Hebden General is completely fictional. The real Hebden is in West Yorkshire. I wanted something with a northern feel and i really liked the name so here it all begins. 

Using Tim Horn baseboards has been the best decision i've made. They are excellent quality and worth every penny. Highly recommended and his service is top notch.

Updates will follow during the construction.

Any questions please feel free to ask

Hi....Will be greatly interested to see how your layout develops and evolves.....

Harlequin's help on my layout was invaluable too.....

Have fun....if you require help , it's there for the asking on RMweb....

Enjoy....

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a couple of points:

• The suffix "General" for a station is—AFAIK—confined to ex-GWR territory.
  • There is a Hebden in Yorkshire—between Ripon and Grassington—it's a different place from Hebden Bridge (and much smaller).
Edited by D9020 Nimbus
Spelling
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Just a couple of points:

• The suffix "General" for a station is—AFAIK—confined to ex-GWR territory.
  • There is a Hebden in Yorkshire—between Ripon and Grassington—it's a different place from Hebden Bridge (and much smaller).

Maybe a change to just Hebden is in order

Edited by Earl Bathurst
Wording error

2 hours ago, Earl Bathurst said:

Maybe a change to just Hebden is in order

Or, from the size of the station you propose, perhaps Hebden Exchange, or Hebden Gate, which would be very West Yorkshire??

• Like 2

Track laying is progressing well and now moving onto lay the fiddle yard tracks. Once all the track is laid I can then fettle any bits which might not look of flow how I want it too

More images to follow.

20190508_174350.jpg

Edited by Earl Bathurst
  • Like 7

Opinions required. I will be building a retaining wall against the back scene? On top do i put a row of shops or leave this area as just the retaining wall. The image gives a rough idea of position minus the retaining wall. I'm thinking without but open to suggestions

IMG-20190509-WA0002.jpeg.16dce00c09c5b9e951b212b955094705.jpeg

What are your suggestions/ thoughts?

Edited by Earl Bathurst

Biggest problem I can see with the row of shops, Hebden really does suggest 'Calder Valley' as such pretty much everything was built in local stone, obviously the later you go the more exceptions there are, but the vast majority of late 19th century buildings wouldn't be brick.

• RMweb Gold

As a former west Yorkshire resident who is now residing in Swansea, I can say that you could easily have a row of shops on top with a road diving down under the railway in a short distance to help break up the back scene. Or a plain retaining wall would also be fine. Check pictures of milnsbridge, slaithwaite and Marsden out on the Colne valley line to get an idea of the things you can do. Don't forget to make the wall from suitably large stone as some of the lumps used in the construction of them are pretty big.

Thank you for the help. Although the layout is called Hebden it is fictitious and not based on the real place, although i will stick with the stone building theme with the odd brick building. I think maybe just a long retaining wall with some growth on top might look better as this leads onto a long embankment.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough, but if it is roughly based in Yorkshire, the topography in the Pennine areas is very similar to the Brecon area, with similar colours to the vegetation (muted brown hills with lush green valleys) just a different shade of stone. Both beautiful parts of the country in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That row of shops does look similar to a row in Todmorden, on the main road in from HB, bar the brick. I know it is fictional, but anything you can do to emphasise highs and lows will place the railway in some geographical context.