P2 Tender info

mswjr

Hi All, I have been asked By my friends widow to finish off his o gauge model LNER P2 , It is stunning, Thankfully only the tender needs building, I have no idea about anything LNER, I need some info l please, What tender did they have when built 1934ish, Was it a streamlined non corridor type or a 4200 gallon standard type, all i know is it has 8 wheels, Also can anyone recommend any books or drawings of the loco, Thankyou Much Appreciated. Garry

As pulled by the A1/A3 without streamlining the pre A4 versions, but there is a very slight height difference , it appears to be a  slightly unique version. No idea, if the Finney kit covers the variation. RCTS covers the height differences .

Hornby actually modelled a new body for their P2 Tender when it was released. A web search will show photos.

• Thanks 1

On 09/05/2019 at 18:45, mswjr said:

Thankyou, Ill have to Buy and read the books mentioned ,Not looking forward to it, But i said ill build it,So thats that.

I have the books mentioned mostly, so we can chat off line about getting you the parts you need. PM me. 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2019 at 20:50, micklner said:

RCTS Part 2A for technical details  , Yeadon Vol 9 for more photos, I it is presume Cock O' The North ? She pulled a 8 wheel Corridor tender, as did the other early build Earl Marischal.

https://www.cockothenorth.co.uk/gallery/photos/

Is this correct? None of the photos or drawings I can find show Cock O' the North with a corridor tender. Nor would one seem necessary for the Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen service.

8 hours ago, micklner said:

No one has said Corridor version, the Tenders are non corridor.

Please read your own reply as quoted below.

On 08/05/2019 at 20:50, micklner said:

RCTS Part 2A for technical details  , Yeadon Vol 9 for more photos, I it is presume Cock O' The North ? She pulled a 8 wheel Corridor tender, as did the other early build Earl Marischal.

https://www.cockothenorth.co.uk/gallery/photos/

• Friendly/supportive 1

For those interested: try a google search " a tangle of tenders".

Sadly, doesn't give too many details about the P2 tenders. In particular, were they built "narrow" to the same drawings of the A3, or built "full width", in the style of the A4.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, doilum said:

For those interested: try a google search " a tangle of tenders".

Sadly, doesn't give too many details about the P2 tenders. In particular, were they built "narrow" to the same drawings of the A3, or built "full width", in the style of the A4.

According to RCTS Part 2A.

2001 New Type Welded.

2002 New Type Riveted

2003-2006 Streamlined.

All were non-corridor. 2001 and 2002 had 8 ton capacity, 2003-2006 9 ton capacity.

Best wishes

Simon

1 hour ago, doilum said:

Some Google image searching seems to have answered my own question. The P2 tenders have a clear ledge at the base of the sides. The A1/3 tender would appear to be the starting point.

Remember though there are two different designs at least and within that 2001 and 2002 had tenders of different construction.