7mm Transhipment Shed in a Boxfile

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Following another discussion with Marc at the Captain's Taunton party (where last year I hinted at the idea of a layout in a crate - and which Marc has done extremely well), I came away with the notion of building a layout depicting the inside of a transhipment shed.

I know Mikkel is already doing a similar layout for the 2010 challenge, but I though I'd try to make one in a boxfile, with my usual hairbrained rules of making everything fold away...

So, here is the concept, courtesy of google sketch-up.

post-7025-127270642285_thumb.gif

There will be two tracks entering from the left (as viewers look), the near one being standard gauge, and the far one being narrow gauge.

Overhead will be a working crane, (very, very, heavily based on the Wenford Bridge 2mm layout one) which will load and unload various items off both sets of wagons.

Following the superb answers I received to my question about the finish to tracks inside a goods shed, there will be no locos on the layout - wagons will be moved in and out via some method of rope haulage system (still to be finalised in my head).

As usual, there will be a second boxfile, pretending to be the rest of the world.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu

Marc has a lot to answer for - LOL :lol::lol:

He has been 'persuading' me to build a small 0 gauge layout.

Like your concept. How do you intend to lift and move the wagon loads from standard gauge to narrow gauge? Otto Schouwstra had described his methods in Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review ('Review' for short) as published by Roy C Link - can't remember which layout or issue it was, but will go and look for it.

• RMweb Gold

The crane used on Wenford Bridge used a simple single pully for the hook - this keeps the hook in-line and stops it rotating.

Each load is slightly weighted at one end and a has a loop of wire in the centre. The wagon & load is brought under the crane and the hook lowered to the right height. The wagon is then moved slightly, so the loop on the load is on the hook. The hook is raised, lifting the load with it.

The crane then travels across the shed to the receiving wagon.

To drop the load, the lower end is first placed in position, and the crane is moved slightly across untill the load is lined up correctly with the target space. The hook is then lowered, and the wagon moved to disengage the hook from the loop.

Hope that makes sense. (plus I hope I can get it all to work...)

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Marc has a lot to answer for - LOL :lol::lol:

He has been 'persuading' me to build a small 0 gauge layout.

Can relate to that - Marc does do good PR :D

Back on topic - it's an interesting idea this one - do like boxfile layouts, I must admit...

Hi Stu...

I've just been on Google Video watching the Wenford Bridge 2mm scale working gantry and I'm impressed.

Should be slightly easier (and more realistic) in 7mm given the weightier mass?

By virtue of the size differences between narrow gauge and standard gauge stock, you'd be fairly restricted in the size of load you'll be transferring.

What I mean is, you wouldn't be able to transfer a load that fills a standard gauge flatbed truck, for example, onto a single narrow gauge wagon.

Perhaps you'll need to incorporate some lateral movement of the gantry to allow, say, two smaller loads on the standard gauge truck for transfer onto two coupled narrow gauge wagons.

Knowing you, though, you'll have already sussed this and got a simple solution....

Randall

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link to the video, hopefully 7mm should be easier.

For the loads, as Baldrick might have said, I have a cunning plan...

I will put four smaller loads into one STD gauge wagon, and put each into one narrow gauge wagon.

I think...

• RMweb Gold

Or you could put the narrow gauge wagons on the standard gauge one - as they did for the not quite standard gauge Padarn Railway ..

That's a whole new concept... Initial thoughts on this lead to needing the two track gauges approaching from opposite ends and some form of motive power, neither of which I want to venture into with this idea... but sound like a real challenge for a future layout, so many thanks!

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Have been to KMRC today and purchased the complete trackwork for this layout - 1 length of 7mm std gauge BH and 1 length of 0n30 gauge FB. And I'll have loads left over as well...

Also looked at a couple of 7mm std gauge 3 plank wagon kits in the Peco catalogue - has anyone any better suggestions - Slaters ? / Other makes ?

Ta

Stu

Archived