Back to hobby after 20years my class 31's

20 minutes ago, s789 said:

Got that Lima shunted starting to look a little more like a British industrial shunter

Loving the initiative being taken here, bravo sir!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, s789 said:

Got that Lima shunted starting to look a little more like a British industrial shunter

IMAG0720.jpg

Just a suggestion like, but, would chopping off the exhaust and moving it to the front of the bonnet Anglicise it a bit more?

Apologies if it's on the list and I've jumped the gun!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, s789 said:

IMAG0720.jpg

Just a suggestion like, but, would chopping off the exhaust and moving it to the front of the bonnet Anglicise it a bit more?

Apologies if it's on the list and I've jumped the gun!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Well done with your 31s - I've a few Airfix and Tri-ang ones waiting in the "practice project" boxes.  Just how good were those body mouldings at the time?

As for the Plymouth, I'm working through Anglicising a batch of them myself.  You have also spotted that it's all about (1) radiator area, (2) cab length to achieve the desired look.  Nice job, what colour scheme to you have in mind?

• 3 weeks later...

OK so it's been a little while but I have manged to sit down and get a little modeling done, back on the class 31 theme, I have finished my scrap siding model, and it's a real parts mash-up. Triang body, latest horny super detailed buffer beam cowlings, 2 airfix trailing bogies, modified so the center wheels are correctly smaller. All weathered and rusted up

IMAG0744.jpg

IMAG0745.jpg

IMAG0743.jpg

IMAG0742.jpg

IMAG0741.jpg

Edited by s789
  • Like 2

I have also been working on making my Lima class 60 more controllable, so far I've ditched the ring field motor and attached the bogie side frames to a batchman class 55 bogie. And used matching motor, pivot attachments for the bogie made from 2mm plasticard. Ideally I want another 55 bogie to come up so I can power the trailing bogie, but even without it runs much better than the pancake ever did!

15605949847411953346727.jpg

Edited by s789
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice, I imagine that even with just one driven bogie it has all the power you need, unless you run scale length trains.  Hornby cab interiors and buffers can both be made to fit the Lima chassis very easily, but at £10 per cab not cheap.

• Like 1

Back to my Lima shunter, I wasn't happy with the performance of the old ring field motor so I gutted the motor core, added a gear to the original shaft and made a machima motor on a worm gear fit. The result super slow speed running!

IMAG0774.jpg

Edited by s789
Autocorrect
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2