Identifying unusual load from 1990

ChrisH-UK

Whilst researching a brake van I came across this photo on the RCTS website https://rcts.zenfolio.com/electric/br/locomotives/85/hA1053B13#ha1053b13 dated 5/2/90.

The load in the first wagon caught my eye, when I zoom in it looks like 3 nosecone shapes in an OBA, if it were 20 years later I'd suspect 'spinners' for wind turbines but that's unlikely in 1990. Another thought is IIRC the 6V93 goes to Tavistock Jn, so something for Devonport? I'm clutching at straws though. Does anyone have any better info or suggestions?

Chris H

They are dock blocks, i.e. the shaped pieces that go in a dry dock to support a ship’s hull. If the destination is Tavvy Jct then Devonport is most likely the ultimate destination. 1990 was the final year of MoD general freight to Devonport. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Hi Chris,

I think they are actually in an OAA, but what a spot. I am continually surprised with what is out there.

Gordon please keep us posted with any more detailed pictures.

PB add that one to the rudder, sinkers and crane weights into the dockyards.

cheers,

John

• Agree 1

Having looked at the picture again......what are the loads on the Warwells??

....and wonder what is in the second OAA

.....perhaps the loads are all connected to some work in the Devonport dry docks?

Cheers,

John

4 hours ago, AberDG said:

Having looked at the picture again......what are the loads on the Warwells??

....and wonder what is in the second OAA

.....perhaps the loads are all connected to some work in the Devonport dry docks?

Cheers,

John

Difficult to see clearly, but possibly more dock blocks laid on their side. A lot are required to support a ship, more than the few on the first wagon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pb_devon said:

Difficult to see clearly, but possibly more dock blocks laid on their side. A lot are required to support a ship, more than the few on the first wagon. 

Presumably they have to be in several sizes to allow for the curvature of the underside of the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

Presumably they have to be in several sizes to allow for the curvature of the underside of the ship. 

For ships, the docking blocks are normally flat and placed under the keel in a line from one end to the other, located under specific frames (the transverse elements of the ship's structure). These support the weight of the ship, and it is kept upright by the lateral shores between the hull and the sides of the dock.

If the ship is wide enough, there will an additional line of blocks under the flat bottom of the hull on either side, in which case the lateral shores are not needed.

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

For ships, the docking blocks are normally flat and placed under the keel in a line from one end to the other, located under specific frames (the transverse elements of the ship's structure). These support the weight of the ship, and it is kept upright by the lateral shores between the hull and the sides of the dock.

If the ship is wide enough, there will an additional line of blocks under the flat bottom of the hull on either side, in which case the lateral shores are not needed.

Jim 

Ahh, but some RN ‘ships’ (the sinking types) don’t have keels like the floaty ones!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pb_devon said:

Ahh, but some RN ‘ships’ (the sinking types) don’t have keels like the floaty ones!!

Good point. I shall have to enquiry of my neighbour, who started as a shipwright and finished as a senior engineer in HM Dockyards.

Jim

• Like 1

Tried searching for dock blocks, keel blocks or bilge blocks and including other terms, but nothing useful appeared. However "Devonport submarine" yielded the following 

https://www.neimagazine.com/features/featurehow-babcock-plans-to-decommission-uk-nuclear-submarines-4177541//featurehow-babcock-plans-to-decommission-uk-nuclear-submarines-4177541-450342.html

The shapes under the front and middle of the sub do have some resemblance to the shapes on the first wagon in the freight train photo, could the structures under the rear of the sub be the parts on the warwells? 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Those that are able should refer to page 138 in Paul Burkhalter’s book Devonport Dockyard Railway, now sadly OOP. There is a picture of an internal bogie tube wagon in Devonport Dockyard carrying dock blocks very similar to the RCTS image at Carlisle.

Edited by pb_devon
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok a bit of topic, but I will be up at the Great Central Exhibition this weekend (14-16 June) with my layout Devonport Road. This has a number of unusual loads heading into Devonport Dockyard, including the huge UCTP wagon.

Hopefully see a few of you up there and we can discuss unusual loads.

Shame we never got a definitive picture of the load on the OAA and Warwells.

See you there.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1