LOWMAC EP Wagons.

Apologies for my ignorance, but what did the 'EP' stand for? 

I've read somewhere that this originally indicated any movement of these wagons thus coded had to be reported to the wagon control centre of the region - how correct this may or not be I've no idea.  'EP' was the BR code for these 25T wagons which had an LNER origin as 'PV'.  There were also BR 'EO', and 'EQ' Lowmac 20T types '

Many thanks in advance.

Nick.

The Specials were allocated by Region hence the E in the code and the same design could be built for Midland Region with an M code the second letter letter plus a third in some cases were the type!

There is a copy of the BR Special diagram book on the Barrowmore website.

Mark Saunders 

1 hour ago, nicktamarensis said:

Thanks Mark,

I hadn't realised this resource was available. 

I have had a look at this excellent site and unless I've missed the blindingly obvious (probably!), I still couldn't  find what the 'P' stood for?

Nick.

The 'P' would simply be an identifying letter;  hence, you might find EA, EB amd so on; I don't think there's any significance beyond that.

• Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Wickham Green said:

'Allocation' - to the Eastern in this case- was simply because workshops in the area would hold appropriate spares if anything was required.

No allocated by Region for control/traffic purposes as the same designs were given different telegraph codes just because of regional allocation!

Mark Saunders

• 2 weeks later...