Very rainy week and planned garage cleaning only partially achieved due to the rain. Having successfully bid for some surplus baseboards to make a roundy roundy in the garage I have 2 4 ft by 2 ft boards left over. I have stock from the defunct Engine Lane 1 which 22 years on will never run so spent a little time drawing up some designs.

Looking through Bellcode books area around Barnsley a rabbit Warren of different lines and branches hemmed in by the topography and  industry. Not based on any particular location and aiming to use materials already gathered over the years have come up with

A truncated through route with the passing loop now used to release engines so traffic up two short branches to glass works and metal box factories can still be served. Sorting sidings now used to store wagons when needed. Trains enter at  one end through bridges supporting a road and at other end layout ends with a railway line crossing over. 

Road sloping down from the road bridge on one side and industrial buildings on the other hopefully will help create the hemmed in ˋ feel.

76185586-AEEB-4DA9-ADF4-632ECE43B21E.jpeg

• Like 1

Joining the Industrial Brotherhood are you Steve?  We'll have to teach you the secret handshake;)

Looks an interesting plan with plenty of operating potential.  Will it be all 'mainline' motive power or will you have some private locos?  And what era?

Presumably 00 - but would you consider anything else?

It will use the stock from the never run layout up in the box room as the estate agents parlance would say. Locos will come from the small collection I collected that were seen at the Carlton North Box as i have a booking register for part of 1962. 

• Like 1

Rain again this afternoon, wife back this evening, garage not done but opportunity taken to get out some lining paper and mock up the plan

i have some cassettes still from Engine Lane 1 and some builders trestles that Vimes Street is currently resting on 

17CA9581-9053-47FE-A2B3-70163630C431.jpeg

• Like 2

Just worked out that the signal box is 42 years old! I built it when I was working in Stevenage and had an attic bedsit in Hitchin on Station Road. It was the type of place where they did not clean the cooker but replaced it every month with another secondhand specimen. 

The box is based upon the one at Wrangbrook Junction 

1B32A882-0FE1-410F-B849-39B620D1DE5F.jpeg

• Like 2