Has Doncaster got a model railway shop?

25 minutes ago, 43078shildoncountydurham said:

Hi all,

Am I correct in thinking Doncaster doesn’t have a model railway shop?

Thanks as always chaps

Craig

It very much does. Panda models on Hallgate and very good it is too. 

If ever unsure go to uk model shops dot com for this kind of query.

Edited by ianmacc
Web reference
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/06/2019 at 22:12, 43078shildoncountydurham said:

Hi all,

Am I correct in thinking Doncaster doesn’t have a model railway shop?

Thanks as always chaps

Craig

Sadly I fear you are now correct.  Panda seem to have stopped trading. There’s a vintage toy stall in the corn exchange and the Wednesday flea market that turns up occasional bits but a town built on its railway history looks like it cannot sustain a shop....

• Informative/Useful 1

Unfortunately since the halcyon days of DC Evans in the Seventies/Eighties and TAG Models (prior to the Modelzone debacle) the town has deteriorated badly. And I don't just mean the lack of model shops. There is still the Toy Fair at the Racecourse every quarter and the BRM of course in February but I'm afraid its Rails or Olivia's all the way for now....

Few towns can support a model shop, if the area is prosperous, rentals too high, low rentals, not enough disposable income or money circulation to keep one afloat, Doncaster is a wretched place, i recall the town centre  so busy the pavements were too narrow for the footfall and we would takeover the roads, the town open and covered markets are a tiny  fraction of their presence 30 years ago,  many stall holders simply gave up, from 100% occupancy and a very long waiting list for tenancy,  to 20% occupancy of the market stalls. Yhe town was more prosperous during the 12 month coal strike  than the present

Edited by Pandora
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pandora said:

Few towns can support a model shop, if the area is prosperous, rentals too high, low rentals, not enough disposable income or money circulation to keep one afloat, Doncaster is a wretched place, i recall the town centre  so busy the pavements were too narrow for the footfall and we would takeover the roads, the town open and covered markets are a tiny  fraction of their presence 30 years ago,  many stall holders simply gave up, from 100% occupancy and a very long waiting list for tenancy,  to 20% occupancy of the market stalls. Yhe town was more prosperous during the 12 month coal strike  than the present

Yup. I recognise that description and Retford isn't much better. Meadowhell has a great deal to answer for.

Sad that this shop is gone for now.

To te OP, I hate to mention 'opposition' in a response to Pandora's post, but a short and quite interesting train ride from Donny and then a short walk from Lincoln Central, is Digitrains.

OP, you know where the others are in your area I am sure. 

Phil

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

I can confirm that Panda Models on Hallgate has closed for the time being.

I am unable to confirm if and when it will re open.

I can only apologies for any wasted trips and lack of communication 

I am so sorry to hear that; good luck.

Phil

Visited Panda models in September 2018, on a "cheap tickets booked in advance" trip with one of my friends. (We were getting in trips on ECML 125s). If there's a model shop on one of our trips we try and visit it in passing.

We both bought various bits and  pieces,  they were   friendly and helpful people running it, so a shame if it has closed permanently. They told us they had had a break-in which they were  recovering  from, looked like conditions in that area were not the best, shall we say.

Anyway, hope they can continue trading in the future.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Doncaster town centre died some time ago. I went into town a few months ago and walked up one of the main shopping streets of old, where D C Evans model shop used to be. Every business was a bar, nightclub or closed and the only other person on the street was a homeless bloke with his dog.

Sad but that is modern life.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1