Airfix mk2d upgrade bogie,Windows and close coupling.

I'm trying to upgrade 4 rakes of airfix mk2d with close coupling,New B4 bogies and shawplan windows.  I'm reasonably new to modelling so don't actually know which close coupling system to use(I'm thinking of kadee and the ends),  shawplan flushglaze look great,Bachmann B4 look great but I'm not sure if they are compatible with any of the close coupling systems. I've collected the coaches over the years (hence the upgrades and not splashing out on the new 2D/E coaches) . Any help/guidance greatly received and appreciated. 

Ironically the Airfix B4 bogie was well regarded for a long time, and most 'modern' modellers used them to re-bogie late mk1's, which is why you see quite so many Airfix 2D's on secondhand tables without bogies.

Jon

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

Don't use Kadees on a close coupling unit, they are best kept locked together coach to coach using something like Hornby & Roco alternative couplers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312511

Kadees are fine on the ends of rakes

Ironic considering your goal but if you don’t intend to correct the oddly formed head stock then you can mount a drag box fitted Kadee directly upon the chassis through the buffer beam just under the corridor connection.  You can do it if you modify the head stock but other means of close coupling may be more effective in this instance.

Griff

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, griffgriff said:

Ironic considering your goal but if you don’t intend to correct the oddly formed head stock then you can mount a drag box fitted Kadee directly upon the chassis through the buffer beam just under the corridor connection.  You can do it if you modify the head stock but other means of close coupling may be more effective in this instance.

Griff

Where does close coupling come into that?

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Where does close coupling come into that?

I would presume that, as I have done in the past on coaching stock, correct selection of the Kadee and location of its drag box can give a quite successful close coupling system, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Mike.

18 hours ago, melmerby said:

Don't use Kadees on a close coupling unit, they are best kept locked together coach to coach using something like Hornby & Roco alternative couplers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312511

Kadees are fine on the ends of rakes

The Bachmann EZ-Mate NEM couplings are your friend here as they have the coupling head solidly mounted rather than the Kadee arrangement, just a shame they only come in a single length (which is spot on for Bachmann MK2a/z as it turns out...).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I would presume that, as I have done in the past on coaching stock, correct selection of the Kadee and location of its drag box can give a quite successful close coupling system, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Mike.

How does it maintain an almost constant distance between the buffers on straights and curves?

Close coupling mechs have a cam system so that you can have buffers touching on the straights but opening up on curves so they don't buffer lock.

That's what I thought the OP was talking about.

Keen Systems have been mentioned. I just use the Hornby or Bachmann ones as fitted, these do not like Kadees, I've tried them with Hornby Pullmans and other Hornby and Bachmann coaches and there is a tendency to derail as you come off a curve.

Using the Hornby alternative couplings, or for closer buffing, the Roco ones (or one of each) this does not happen.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Indeed.

Griff

• RMweb Premium

I still don't get it.

How is this a close coupling suystem?

It isn't because if you have the buffers touching on the straight it will be off the road on the first curve.

If you going to mount the Kadee high on the chassis, why not use proper buckeyes to replicate the ones fitted to BR coaches?

https://www.keen-systems.com/Couplings.html

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I still don't get it.

It isn't because if you have the buffers touching on the straight it will be off the road on the first curve.

If you going to mount the Kadee high on the chassis, why not use proper buckeyes to replicate the ones fitted to BR coaches?

Simply put.... the end of the coaches are wrong. The mid point of the buffer beams hangs out a good 5mm... the corridor connections are too long. If these issues are not corrected (I have btw so this is not the path I’ve followed) then it is perfectly possible to use Kadees to couple coaches together with the corridor ends barely touching... keen end plates will help but to be clear. It will be unprototypical 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Poor picture I know. Sorry.

I do not possess any unmodified corridor ends. This one has had about 2mm removed from its projection but you can see how pronounced the corridor connections are. Sling a drag box in and there you go. 

Cutting the the corridor connections back and putting the buffer beam and buffers in the correct position needs a different solution. For what it’s worth my chosen fix is to use Keen Systems components.

Griff

8C17C4F6-0B5A-47A5-9E29-5E50E8415C76.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

I still don't get it.

That's the whole point, the buffers don't touch on buckeye connected coaching stock.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's the whole point, the buffers don't touch on buckeye connected coaching stock.

Mike.

Mike & Griff

I hadn't appreciated that the Airfix buffers were actually depicted in the retracted position, I assumed they were like the other coaches (Gresleys, Maunsells, Pullmans.) where they are in the normal position for screw couplings although using Pullman style gangways.

In those cases Kadees definitely don't work properly as when you go through a reverse curve the buffers will lock (if you have anything like prototypical spacing for the coaches.), hence the close coupling units.

A pal of mine uses magnetic couplings within rakes in O gauge. They’re on flexible rubber mounts which are set at the length of the gangway connections with the buffers retracted, allows them to go round corners whilst maintaining a constant distance on straights.

17 hours ago, griffgriff said:

Simply put.... the end of the coaches are wrong. The mid point of the buffer beams hangs out a good 5mm... the corridor connections are too long. If these issues are not corrected (I have btw so this is not the path I’ve followed) then it is perfectly possible to use Kadees to couple coaches together with the corridor ends barely touching... keen end plates will help but to be clear. It will be unprototypical 

I think the two of you are talking at cross purposes... melmerby is talking about using a close coupling mechanism, and you are talking about coupling the coaches close together which are two separate issues.

35 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

I just think, because of the geometry of the coach end, that they are unnecessary in these circumstances.

I'd severely doubt that an Airfix MK2D would go around R2 curves coupled on the headstocks with Kadees but it would with them mounted in a CCM.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, frobisher said:

I'd severely doubt that an Airfix MK2D would go around R2 curves coupled on the headstocks with Kadees but it would with them mounted in a CCM.

, and theres the rub, horses for courses as ever, mine only circumnavigate 36" or greater radius geometry.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

, and theres the rub, horses for courses as ever, mine only circumnavigate 36" or greater radius geometry.

Mike.

Which also rules out Peco medium radius points and their single & double slips as they are nominally 3' radius but are more like 30" in the turn.