24 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Hi,

To put my comments in perspective I cant come close to your standards but for me the angle you are looking at that loco is only 2 or 3 stories up. You wouldnt see anything except the upper parts of buildings immediately behind that wall, or if somewhere like Bath, the top of very high ground in the distance but you'd then be looking slightly up at any visible buildings that far away

To look down on buildings in the far distance like that, you would have to be on a substantial hill yourself in which case youd be looking down much more on the loco I think.

Thanks for your comments. Perhaps I should forget distant hills and just paint sky down to the wall, and add a couple of very low relief buildings immediately behind the wall? 

Richard,

I would get rid of the buildings behind the wall as to me they are too 'fussy' and tend to take the eye away from the model. However, I do like the distant hills as they give some depth to the scene so I'd keep them.

Dave  

• Thanks 1

This afternoon I finally got round to getting the paints out and going over the distant buildings that make it look like one is looking down into a valley. I have replaced them with some not very distant trees but at the same level as the layout, ie not looking down on them. I plan on making some semi-relief trees immediately behind the wall. Not quite Paul Bambrick but what do you think?!

EB0D2CFF-CD8F-4E2A-8825-F01707F6CCE0.jpeg.e58b7285b4ddbfd9f67f957abe5d9578.jpeg8FA42F1B-13BD-42D9-968B-4A4E2801F2B2.jpeg.0c16146400571ec0f1fced290bc17904.jpeg09F3718C-C941-4DFF-8E47-69B671D0ABD7.jpeg.9a3171985f15670770b753c0b2b959a2.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Tricky,

That is a lovely backscene.  I think a bit of artistic licence is required. I was born a few miles from Tewkesbury so know it quite well. The view towards your backscene would be to the north which would be up river along the Severn. It is rather flat along there which is why it floods so often. The hill that you have painted is an excellent representation of the western reach of Bredon which is less then 1000ft high and is basically a lump in the Vale of Evesham. Strictly it is more to the north east (ie the right). From ground level in the town it was not visible. However from the top floors of north east facing buildings it would have been. Since most people viewing the layout will do so at the equivalent roof top level I would suggest you have the backscene just right.  

Ian.   

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Ian Major said:

Tricky,

That is a lovely backscene.  I think a bit of artistic licence is required. I was born a few miles from Tewkesbury so know it quite well. The view towards your backscene would be to the north which would be up river along the Severn. It is rather flat along there which is why it floods so often. The hill that you have painted is an excellent representation of the western reach of Bredon which is less then 1000ft high and is basically a lump in the Vale of Evesham. Strictly it is more to the north east (ie the right). From ground level in the town it was not visible. However from the top floors of north east facing buildings it would have been. Since most people viewing the layout will do so at the equivalent roof top level I would suggest you have the backscene just right.  

Ian.   

That’s good to know, and comforting that I can at least put the blessed backscene to bed as it were and move on to something else! As always ‘based on’ can cover a lot of artistic license...

• Like 1

Looks good to me Richard.

Dave

• Thanks 1