Midland in Tewkesbury

Tricky

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2024 at 21:03, Tricky said:

Here’s a question - poss a silly one but as I don’t know the answer for sure: does anyone know what would the S Healing & Sons wagons have conveyed? Coal, sacks and a sheet, barrels? Any ideas…?! 

Sorry, coming a bit late to this but I'm going to nail my colours firmly to the mast and say it's a coal wagon. As a coal wagon, it wouldn't be (fit to be) used for anything else, except perhaps bricks from a colliery with brickworks attached, or pit props back from the port if it was used for shipping. This is the whole basis of the private owner wagon system.

Merchandise - grain, flour, &c. - would have been conveyed in railway company wagons.

The Gloucester RC&W Co. photo of Healing's wagon No. 5 of January 1900 shows that it was clearly marked: Empty to Netherseal Colliery near Burton-on-Trent. That's a coal mine, not a treacle mine.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Sorry, coming a bit late to this but I'm going to nail my colours firmly to the mast and say it's a coal wagon. As a coal wagon, it wouldn't be (fit to be) used for anything else, except perhaps bricks from a colliery with brickworks attached, or pit props back from the port if it was used for shipping. This is the whole basis of the private owner wagon system.

Merchandise - grain, flour, &c. - would have been conveyed in railway company wagons.

The Gloucester RC&W Co. photo of Healing's wagon No. 5 of January 1900 shows that it was clearly marked: Empty to Netherseal Colliery near Burton-on-Trent. That's a coal mine, not a treacle mine.

Fair point…! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Netherseal Colliery - closed 1947.Acces line used for wagon storage until mid 60's.Was home to "Trojan",now at Didcot.Site is now completely cleared,nothing left except the brick built reservoir(for fire fighting?),and parts of the trackbed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, 34006 said:

Netherseal Colliery - closed 1947.Acces line used for wagon storage until mid 60's.Was home to "Trojan",now at Didcot.Site is now completely cleared,nothing left except the brick built reservoir(for fire fighting?),and parts of the trackbed.

According to the Durham Mining Museum website: http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/n229.htm

at closure employed 440, down from a peak of 872 in 1923. Several seams were worked, producing household and manufacturing coal. In 1933, the annual output was stated to be 200,000 tons which equates to around 400 wagonloads per week. The Neatherseal Colliery Co. Ltd. was a one-colliery firm. In the 1890s it was managed by G.J. Binns but by 1933 the Binns family had relocated to Dunstable, a much more picturesque place in which to live off the toil of the working man than Swadlincote. They had been joined on the board by the Jacksons of Clay Cross Hall, military types who were also directors of the Clay Cross Co. and Wingfield Manor Colliery. Brigader General G.M. Jackson, who was chairman of the Clay Cross Co, was in 1929 was reported as being involved in efforts to coordinate miners' welfare centres, so he can't have been that black a capitalist at heart. His son, Capt. G.R. Jackson, was also on the Netherseal board. After distinguished war service, he played cricket for Derbyshire and England; another son and a nephew of the General also played for Derbyshire. 

The Clay Cross Co. was founded by George Stephenson, following the discovery of coal measures and iron ore during the excavation of Clay Cross tunnel on the North Midland Railway. Robert Stephenson struggled to keep the company going and sold out to the Jacksons in 1852. 

So your Healing wagon has a connection to the Father of Railways!

Amazing what pathways one wanders down once one gets going...

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 12/02/2024 at 07:03, 34006 said:

For those who may be interested(and the last bit of info I have) I present "The Netherseal Colliery Branch,in all it's glory"

PhilScan1400footsteps-CopyNethersealcolliaryBranch.jpg.aad6bf685bccb657e3b916eecbca60cf.jpg

Edited by 34006
excess images
  • Like 8

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Will he ever make up his mind?! 

Still not happy with the left hand end. So I was chatting to a well-known friend. He quite rightly suggested that the Quay Branch bridge would make an attractive end piece and scenic break. The only slight difficulty could be that the bridge will be at right angles to the ‘flow’ of the layout but as truth is well and truly stretched to the limit on Tewks anyway, then I think I can pull it off. The bridge will have a piece of track on it disappearing into the nether regions of Healings Mill. The track that at the moment exits stage left will be shortened and end at buffer stops against a brewery building. I think I have a mental image of what will happen; let’s just hope reality follows fairly swiftly as Railex ‘24 will come round soon enough! 

IMG_4934.jpeg.9a649e593d684207cb8a55d6211e37a4.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg.576c10f752131928fc8aa0cc31bb8559.jpeg

IMG_4936.jpeg.3c7482e645dc4963107c40f46da8ac10.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Interesting model

As to grain, pretty sure most arrived by barge until the 1990s, I remember seeing the barges, either moored at Healings, or running down the Severn.

One of the reasons Upper Lode lock is so big.

My parents used to have a boat moored on the Avon.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

So, having dragged out of storage the ancient and dusty Monk's Gate, I am loathe to shove it back from whence it came, but at a tad over 8' long I was stumped as to where it could go in my relatively cramped workshop. So I reduced the working height of Tewks and strung up Monk's Gate over it from the Dexion rafters! Not very pretty, and not easily accessible but at least it now has a place in the workshop - and very poetically, a place once more in my affections!

IMG_6129.jpg.2529abf644e6851998dc351f8bd19465.jpg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2