Network Rail remove a foot bridge do there have to replace it's Now been Repaired'

• RMweb Premium
On 18/08/2019 at 19:35, mozzer models said:

Hi Tim

it took NR 2 week to fenice the footbridge off & is still in place 

the counselor is still looking in to whats going to happen 

If the structure is deemed 'unsafe then the fences will not be removed till it is repaired / replaced - a task that will take many months even if repairs are eventually authorised.

The involvement of politicians does nothing to cure the engineering issues - however much of a fuss they make and NR and equally NR are not going to suddenly change their mind just because a politician tells them too.

I believe there was an act of Parliament dating from the 1860s which gave authorities the power to force  the railway to provide bridges for the use of the public where the railway had provided only a level crossing, , a clue to these being found on old maps where bridges have been constructed  in parallel with a level crossing

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Premium
On 18/08/2019 at 19:35, mozzer models said:

Hi Tim

it took NR 2 week to fenice the footbridge off & is still in place 

the counselor is still looking in to whats going to happen 

I thought counsellors talked to people about what had happened in the past, not what is going to happen in the future. :)

• 1 year later...

Got a Update for those that would like to know from my local counsellor Stephen Karl Hunt

Our Iron Bridge Seven Sisters Update information from Network Rail.

I’m Owen Jones one of the Works Delivery Managers here and network rail and I am currently running with the Severn Sisters Footbridge project.

As for updates, we are currently in the detailed design phase of the project. The outline design for the refurbishment works has been submitted and is currently under review by our Engineers. The outline design shows that the repairs/refurbishment can be carried out like for like using timber or using FRP (Fibre Reinforced Plastic). The engineers are deciding which route to approach weighing up cost benefits etc

I will be receiving a high level programme from our contractor for the remaining design works etc this week so will be able to update you a bit more towards the start of next week.

If you require anything else please let me know.

Description automatically generated

Owen Jones BEng (Hons) MSc

Works Delivery Manager

Capital Delivery

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...

Stephen Karl Hunt

56 m  · 

The Iron Railway Bridge in Seven Sisters as most people will probably be aware was closed a number of years ago now due to health and safety reasons as most certainly correct as it was in a poor state, which started a battle for myself and the community of Seven Sisters at the time to save the bridge from being taken away permanently by Network Rail leaving us without access to various parts of the village.

At that time contrary to belief this Iron Bridge was not a registered Right of Way, as nobody had registered the bridge since it’s erection whenever that was I guess.

So with help from Kelvin Roberts who started a petition in the village and my own position at NPTCBC as Chairman of Regeneration and Sustainable Development where rights of ways were under, I started the legal process of registering this bridge as a right of way, but as that process takes time we put a stop to Network Rail removing the bridge at that time.

A legal battle could have ensued , however after I took it to my committee and they all agreed to register it as a ROW, Network Rail whilst could challenge this decision decided not to, so it became an official ROW which meant they were obliged to restore the bridge to a useable standard.

Then my job became a little difficult as Coronavirus held up any progress from Network Rail, also they have a work load of projects and ours was not top of their agenda unfortunately, so as Network Rail operate it’s taken until now to finally get contractors on site.

So the structure that has been taken away will be repaired, renewed at their appropriate site , the remaining structure is my understanding will be dealt with on site as to restore , when all done on site, and wherever they doing the main structure work, everything will be brought back, rebuilt on site, and then once more reopened to the general public as this bridge in my opinion is a really important not just historical value as who we are here in Seven Sisters, but a practical route for so many people who need this for their every day lives.

Really looking forward to the day it’s reopened now if I’m honest.

https://www.facebook.com/steve7sisters/videos/935811794202170/

• Like 5

• mozzer models changed the title to Network Rail remove a foot bridge do there have to replace it Now been Repaired
  • 3 months later...

Update the steps & bridge were removed back in June

Today the steel work is been putting back in place

53224545594_8afb23c44c_c.jpg20230930_174904 by brian mosby, on Flickr

53224471138_7e7aaa28ee_c.jpg20230930_175448 by brian mosby, on Flickr

53224545454_cc247797c2_c.jpg20230930_175509 by brian mosby, on Flickr

53224470863_5e29534e1a_c.jpg20230930_175552 by brian mosby, on Flickr

53224663875_2c1f7fa309_c.jpg20230930_175607 by brian mosby, on Flickr

• Like 1

• mozzer models changed the title to Network Rail remove a foot bridge do there have to replace it's Now been Repaired'
  • 1 month later...