Small layouts

Hi again all, here's an early planning shot of my "inglenook" layout. It will eventually be on a shelf style baseboard on top of the bookcase, and be analogue controlled, as I'm not into DCC at all yet (backward I know!).

IMG_20190806_231012.jpg

• Like 3

On 30/07/2019 at 21:41, johnarcher said:

I am wondering about combining the good old inglenook with the 'part of a station' approach. It could be the goods yard beyond the platform, as at Fairford, or if one took Plowden (Bishop's Castle - plan attached if it works) and chopped it in half at either edge of the station building (looking from the approach) you'd basically have an inglenook, with the large building as a view-blocker.

Has anyone used the puzzle in such a way?

Plowden 1903 station only.png

I like your idea ... I would have an overbridge carry the road over the tracks to act as an end stop, perhaps with a mirror ... that would create the "loop"

7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I like your idea ... I would have an overbridge carry the road over the tracks to act as an end stop, perhaps with a mirror ... that would create the "loop"

I have built this idea as my main layout.

48 inches long by 20 inches wide.

It incorporates 2 hidden sidings for passenger stock, single car dmu as it's only that long.

The main inglenook and a scenic section in front of the hidden sidings. That is an overbridge which carries an un-powered twin traxk railway which can be either heritage or mainline and the inglenook can be heritage, allows me to run steam as I am a BR blue era guy. 

17 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

You could (I've always rather liked the mirror idea), though in the case of Plowden (given a 'cameo' style high viewing level) I reckon the large building would hide the track ends well enough.

• Like 1

Hi, this is a good layout plan for beginners and experts alike. I would be careful to allow for your longest engine and possibly 2 wagons at the top of the yard clear of the point. If you have the space you can always allow a portable length of track as an add on- a fiddlestick.