caledonian single tender wheels

ef57

I have a related issue with the Dean Single.  How do you remove the tender wheels, which have the old giant flanges?

I have replaced several wheelsets on the Dean single.  For LOI I used from memory the wheels from the ex-Dapol Castle tender.  For the Flying Dutchman I used the wheels from an old Mainline 43XX.  To remove the wheels simply expand the tender sideframe.

OK so this means that in the whole universe of model railroad suppliers there is not a single one who offers 16mm. wheels?  I have to cannibalize other models?  I cannot believe this.

10 minutes ago, ef57 said:

OK so this means that in the whole universe of model railroad suppliers there is not a single one who offers 16mm. wheels?  I have to cannibalize other models?  I cannot believe this.

No - it means that, in the couple of days since you posted, no-one has been sufficiently attracted by your thread, and  / or has had the time to spend researching and posting an answer.

In the intervening two days, have you spent a significant period of time researching the usual suspect wheel suppliers, to find out if they offer what you require?

No? Neither have I !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

Hornby offers a range of tender wheels so it is a matter of researching the prototype wheel dimension on Wikipedia, then counting the number of spokes and then making a comparison to what is available.  Even though you may find a wheel then you may have to swap over the supplied axle as the Dean single and Caledonian axles are not pin point.   The Bachmann wheels are a direct fit (from memory the ex-Dapol Hornby Castle wheels were also a direct fit) so I purchased a cheap non-runner donor loco and salvaged the wheels.  The plastic wheels were then fitted to the donor tender and that loco is now a dummy for doubleheading.

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional info

Thanks, david, that‘s the kind of useful answer I was expecting.  As to Mr Isherwood‘s needlessly superior and totally unhelpful contribution, wouldn‘t it be normal to assume that I had already scoured the internet sources known to me before turning to this forum?   Don‘t you have better things to do than write such impolite, snotty, passive-aggressive  comments?  Poor guy.

Romford/Jackson wheels are a good choice that are happy on Code 100 and 75 track. They can be regauged to EM or P4, though the latter fine scale may not like the slightly over scale flanges. Sharman wheels would be better for P4 with compensation, but you would need to change the loco wheels too.

A supplier ( and there are others ) of Romford Jacksons is South Eastern Finecast, Glenn House, Forest Row, East Sussex, RH18 5DZ. They advertise in most of the Model Press. The wheels are not cheap, but they are quality, you get what you pay for.

Anything else you need, if I don't know the answer, I'll be happy find out. Modifying locos and stock has it's own dedicated section on this site and probably better suited to this type of subject. Good luck with the project anyway.

Tod

2 hours ago, ef57 said:

Thanks, david, that‘s the kind of useful answer I was expecting.  As to Mr Isherwood‘s needlessly superior and totally unhelpful contribution, wouldn‘t it be normal to assume that I had already scoured the internet sources known to me before turning to this forum?   Don‘t you have better things to do than write such impolite, snotty, passive-aggressive  comments?  Poor guy.

Surely, if you had already researched the sources to which you have been directed by David / davnigh, it would have been polite / helpful to indicate the fact, so that David (and others) did not have to waste time and effort providing you with information which is already available to you.

Failing to mention your own research efforts tends to suggest that you can't be bothered to do any - hence my response.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ef57 said:

I realise that English might not be your first language, so communications might be misinterpreted at times, but it is generally not a good idea to go round poking lions with sticks ....

Edited by RedgateModels

29 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I realise that English might not be your first language, so communications might be misinterpreted at times, but it is generally not a good idea to go round poking lions with sticks ....

Now you flatter me - and all narrated, in my native vernacular, so ably by Mr. Holloway.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

3 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

........... Sharman wheels would be better for P4 with compensation, but you would need to change the loco wheels too...........................

I'm not quite sure you meant to say Sharman  ........ they're harder to get than Ultrascale ! ........................ you were probably thinking GIbson !!?!