Keep trains clean

To keep the dust down on trains I normally run a vacuum just above them whilst using a very sort brush. This gave me the idea to mount the vacuum just above the roof line of the train and periodically run a train slowly under it. Just wonder if this has been tried by anyone and diffulties encountered.

I've been wondering about keeping stock clean as I'm facing the probability of having most of my stock out on a permanent basis. I hadn't thought of a vacuum cleaner in stockings. Do good ol' fashioned dust-sheets still work? I suspect they're not cotton these days but a mix of cotton/man-made fibres and would they attract dust rather than preventing it?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Philip

Phillip.

Like you my stock is out permanently, I wouldn't go with cotton dust sheets for the reason you give plus although cotton they are still quite heavy and damage may occur and to get them on an off would take two to minimise damage. If your looking  at dust sheets I would go with those plastic ones you put down when decorating you get from B&Q ect as they will float down, I discounted them as I don't want to keep removing them as I do work almost every day on the layout. The main cause at this time is when doing any baseboard construction is the biggest culprit of dust, and placing and removing dust sheets on a 70 feet layout does take time. I'm going to make a jig for the hoover end to fix to and will be placed just above train level. This jig will be located on my hidden sidings which also have an automatic wheel cleaner on it that cleans every train that enters this siding. Trains enter at very slow speed. The jig will allow removal of vacuum when not in use.

Edited by Andymsa

• RMweb Gold

Dust sheets or other coverings so long as they are well clear of the models and won’t drop on to them when they are being removed or replaced.  And having to remove and replace them detracts from the whole point of leaving the trains on the layout in the first place, that the layout is ready for instant use and you just carry on where you left off the last operating session. 

My trains are out on the layout or on nearby open shelves all the time.  They do get a bit dusty, and an occasional cleaning session with a soft brush is my method if dealing with it.  I can live with the dust to a degree; it looks a bit like ash and the tops of locos were covered in that in steam days.  I ignore it until it’s obtrusive or affects running. 

One of the problems with dust is that most of the methods used to remove it create more of it and spread it around!

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Dust sheets or other coverings so long as they are well clear of the models and won’t drop on to them when they are being removed or replaced.  And having to remove and replace them detracts from the whole point of leaving the trains on the layout in the first place, that the layout is ready for instant use and you just carry on where you left off the last operating session. 

My trains are out on the layout or on nearby open shelves all the time.  They do get a bit dusty, and an occasional cleaning session with a soft brush is my method if dealing with it.  I can live with the dust to a degree; it looks a bit like ash and the tops of locos were covered in that in steam days.  I ignore it until it’s obtrusive or affects running. 

One of the problems with dust is that most of the methods used to remove it create more of it and spread it around!

Yes i I have thought of the issue that more dust would get blown around. The method is really to keep things in control until such time as a deep clean can be done to trains, as keeping a large layout relatively clean is  a job in itself. But every time any major works are done I always get a fine covering on the trains. 

• RMweb Gold

The general environment plays a part as well, the cleaner the better.  My railway room isn't too bad in this respect, being what the squeeze describes as a bedroom (of course, I know better, it's a railway room that happens to have a bed, wardrobe, and cabinets in it), but an attic or garage may be a lot more of a problem.  Unfortunately, my landlord insists that the property must be carpeted (I'd prefer wooden floorcoverings which are easier to keep clean), and carpets produce a good bit of dust even when they are regularly hoovered.  The room must be ventilated of course, but draughts will raise dust as will open windows on windy dry days.

Dust free environment: any room that's not in a house is superior. People - and worse yet pets - are what makes most dust, both directly from the fall out of our constantly decaying exteriors, and all the fabrics we use to make a home comfortable.

Sealed wood or vinyl type floor, dust free wall coverings like paint, blinds for windows, no 'shedding' fabrics like wool jumpers; always a  shower with exfoliation before approaching the layout ;)

What a hobby.  We spend hours weathering our stock and then worry about a bit of dust.   My old Westwood Hall's weathering  looked lovely until I picked it up and put a fingerprint in the dust.

But seriously we have little problem with dust. big problems with spiders webs, but little dust with the layout in a purpose built lined and insulated shed.   There is no carpet, loose furnishings or curtains (we use blinds)  No compulosry shower before operating and sometimes woolly cardigans are worn.    The Bed layout suffered from dust and the loft layout had so much dust that  in places the track looked like it was ballasted, so really its about prevention rather than cure.

That said the vacuum cleaner solution is worth a punt.  I would think about a 12 volt cleaner powered from a controller so the speed can be varied, or making a nozzle like a bridge arch fitting quite tightly around the stock and sucking through a very narrow slot hopefully it would suck the sides as well as the roof clean and could run all the time trains are running. Maybe have two for a double track oval..   Just a thought

About thirty years ago, one used to be able to buy what were marketed as 'ionisers', intended to produce 'ionised air'. The main thing I noticed with them is that they acted as 'dust magnets', being surrounded by a semi-circle of dust after a few days operation. I wonder if one or two of these might be useful in the railway room? 

• Like 1

Just a bit of info on location, the railway is in its own purpose built building. There is office grade carpet tiles on the floor ( incidentally this is very forgiving with dropped hot solder ect). The walls are dry walled and wall paper applied and painted white. The room has full aircon which removes a lot of dust looking at the filters. No pets are allowed in. Although I relise you can't completely stop dust building up the main issues are when sanding anything or lots of sundela board cutting with the jigsaw or multitool even when you use dust extraction with these tools some dust stil gets onto things. An intreasting point on ionised air I shall look into this. Once I made a jig for the vacuum and done some tests I will report back my findings.

To all the chaps above,

Good ideas all round, there. My layout will be in a barn (stone built with earth/lime coursing). I shall need to lay a brand new floor (joists and all) and I was going to go the whole hog with T&G floor boards. I did consider formwork sheets (T&Ged here) for cheapness but I wasn't fussed on the finish. However, I hadn't considered finishing with vinyl faced clip-together flooring - that would be good - easy to keep clean.

The barn walls will be lined out with metal studwork and 13mm plasterboard with insulation behind - trouble is, it will no doubt encourage wildlife to become residents - but that's another matter. I like the idea of 'bubble wrap' as it's only intended to cover the fiddle yard area (not the whole layout) and a lightweight vacuum with stockings will complete the job. Lidl/Aldi have some in from time to time.

Cheers,

Philip

In terms of light dusting, I discovered a little while ago that a soft make-up brush from the likes of Boots or Superdrug is the best option - soft enough so it doesn't do damage to fragile detail, but seems strong enough to shift the dust and get into awkward corners. Just wish to point out in passing that I have no other uses for such a brush!

I also have a hand held Dyson small vacuum cleaner. This has a rechargeable battery and is very useful for a quick once over of track and boards, and seems very effective in picking up general dust.

John.