Opinions please on my BLT

ejstubbs

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

A very perceptive comment.   It is difficult to think of many small branch termini which had a bay platform.  A dock siding yes, but a whole bay platform would really only be found on much busier branches where more than one passenger trains was likely to be running.  This of course usually takes us into 'model railway land' where - as already noted - many branchline models acquire a profusion of trains thus 'needing' more platforms.  

Just a simple model railway I said, couple of GW tank engines, then I added an 02, Well Tanks, T9s, Collett Goods, Dean Goods, another 02, N Class, GW Railcar and a properly operating DJ 14xx.

I won't mention, oh go on I will, the little foray into Southern EMUS....I sold that lot 12 months later.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, LBRJ said:

Someone mentioned Kingswear earlier in the thread, as a larger type of BLT.

Something based on there would be my idea of the sort of layout envisaged here.

blt2408.jpg

Your plan is very similar to my layout Danemouth.

The curve in Danemouth, designed by Harlequin, lifted the layout from a trainset style trackplan to somrthing more prototypical.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
On 23/08/2019 at 13:18, Miss Prism said:

I can't see the point in having a bay.

I used the Bay on my Glen Roy, (which is where this thread started from), for Parcels Traffic that may have been tagged on the back of a Passenger Service etc. I found it both useful and space greedy in equal amounts, so my jury is out on that Question at the moment, i.e. not sure if I would have one again unless maybe for a Steam / Transition era Layout. 

Several SR single-track BLTs had bays, and Hayling Island in particular was operated to model railway intensity, but there is another reason to have a bay: it makes the signalling much more interesting.

Indeed, it might be the sole justification for having any signalling at all, given that many BLTs were reduced to ‘one engine in steam’ termini, with none, once sensible economies were instituted. West Bay, which didn’t have a bay (except a wet one),  was a case in point, I think.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3