Double slip conundrum

Just checking rail joints on my layout ready for exhibition at the end of the month and noticed that 3 of the 8 rails coming from my double slip make connection with ongoing track. I was on the understanding that double slips had to be isolated completely on all 8 rails from the rest of the track, and have their own power feeds independently from the rest of the layout? Can't find my wiring diagram to check unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

It depends if the crossing routes are different power sections or not. If they can be the same power section as each other then there is no need to isolate the stock rails, only the frogs. Tom

• Agree 1

The  fish plates at the extremities of the double slip don't necessarily have to be insulated but it does make sense for the slip to have its own feed.   If it is on a simple single track terminus the double slip may not need any insulated fish plates on its extremities at all, if it is part of complex crossings on a double track  layout then its much more likely to.  The thing is the running is nicer if you can avoid the insulated joiners.

If it has run happily in the past why fix it?  If you fiddle with it there may be unintended consequences, though as is well known Gremlns are often woken by the journey to exhibitions and wait patiently for an audience before leaping into action with dead shorts and power-less zones.

I like the idea of a wiring diagram. For me its like climbing Everest or taking a trip to Alaska, something I have never gotten round to!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My double slip conundrum is a little different. Because of the physical constraints of the baseboard, my slip is driven by a Cobalt Original one end and a Cobalt SS the other. Blades change ok using Digitrax 402. But cannot sort out frog wiring. All 8 tracks insulated. Taken hours. Complicated by 2 different point motors. 

Frustration is driving me to consider 2 possible solutions 

a  Replace Cobalt Original with another surface mounted Cobalt SS so wiring is easier to understand 

b. Purchase 2 Gaugemaster frog juicers. 

Any thoughts very welcome. 

• RMweb Gold

With a slip, each point motor manages the polarity of the frog at the opposite end. Shouldn't matter that the motors are of different types, so long as each has the capability to do the polarity switching. 

• Agree 3