Elbow Lane. Having a rest while I build board 4.

dasatcopthorne

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2021 at 14:30, dasatcopthorne said:

The lights in the Transit are nothing out of the ordinary these days but maybe what I used could be helpful.

A couple of weeks back someone in another thread (sorry cannot remember your name) mentioned using this new resin glue that hardens with ultraviolet light.

I quickly ordered some and found it very useful.

I drilled through the headlights with a 1mm drill and then used a bigger part way to form the reflector.

With the new glue I put a 'blob' in the headlight and hardened it off. Wow! A great lens. Also fixed the pre-wired LEDs inside with the same glue and painted over black to stop light blead inside the van.

Dave.

20210104_141956.jpg

20210103_125423.jpg

20210103_112230.jpg

20210103_112207.jpg

It might well have been me mate. I've been extolling the virtues of UV cured super glue on someone else's thread. It might have been Bob's Cambrian Street. I'm a big fan of this type of glue not least of all because it don't stick everything to everything else indiscriminately. You put it where you want it to go and wipe off any excess and then cure it! The jobs a goodun! No muss no fuss! Super glue was originally designed to stick people back together in the Vietnam war reducing the amount of stitches and whilst it is very good at sticking other things, the thing it sticks best is you! 

Regards Lez.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lezz01 said:

It might well have been me mate. I've been extolling the virtues of UV cured super glue on someone else's thread. It might have been Bob's Cambrian Street. I'm a big fan of this type of glue not least of all because it don't stick everything to everything else indiscriminately. You put it where you want it to go and wipe off any excess and then cure it! The jobs a goodun! No muss no fuss! Super glue was originally designed to stick people back together in the Vietnam war reducing the amount of stitches and whilst it is very good at sticking other things, the thing it sticks best is you! 

Regards Lez.   

Lez.

If it was you then thanks very much for sharing it.

I use it on so many jobs now. Don't know how I lived without it.

Do you have a favourite make and supplier please?

Dave.

4 hours ago, mike lee said:

Hi I've just come across this topic. Fabulous little layout.

Can you give me some information please on the two large office buildings used in the background on the left hand side.

Regards Mike Lee

No problem Mike.

Both are downloaded from a site called Textures.com. It's free but you need to register.

They have both been played with using software to extend then sideways and upwards. Also windows have been copied and pasted so that no two are next to one another where two of the same building have been joined. The more centre one has had the prints fixed to foamboard together with some windows inset and sills added to them all. Just to add a bit of depth.

The other building nestled between and behind the larger ones are also from the same source.

Hope that helps.

Dave.

Edited by dasatcopthorne
spelling

Dave, thanks for that.

I am actually registered with Textures.com, never thought of looking there. I have actually used some of their downloads on my layouts in the past. Had forgotten about them as I have not done much scenic modelling lately so not been on their site, you have spurred me on to have another look. Its the building with the 'square windows' that I am interested in for future reference.

Regards Mike  

20 hours ago, mike lee said:

Dave

Just out of interest do you have the download information, or building reference, for the other office building, the one with the curved top windows please. I don't seem to be able to locate it on the Textures site?

Mike

Sorry Mike.

I thought it was from there.

It's probably the result of a Google search for images of industrial buildings. Something I often do.

It's possibly made up of several differing bits cobbled together and reshaped using Gimp and Photoshop type software.

That's bugging me now. It's may be from the Textures window range put on a Scalescenes brick Paper download.

Sorry mate.

Dave.

Edited by dasatcopthorne
additional info

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a lull over the last couple of weeks while tweeks are made to locos like Stay-Alives on shunters and the Transit removed to have the rear of the headlights blacked out.

The Telephone engineer has arrived to sort a problem.

3D print from Smart Models along with the correctly dated roadside cabinet thanks to an ex-Post Office friend.

Smart Models pair a differing cabinet with their Engineer but that cabinet was only introduced about 2010, so too new for Elbow Lane.

They were happy to include a correctly dated cabinet for me.

Dave.

Dave

20210203_134334.jpg

20210203_133015.jpg

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, mike lee said:

Hi Dave

Have found the building/windows.

They are from Textures.com (formerly CG Textures) - Buildings - Industrial, namely 'BUILDINGSINDUSTRIAL0097', does that ring a bell?

Mike

Thant's the one.

I used Microsoft Publisher to cut out windows and copy and flip them and generally swap them around. Even removed some of the uprights.

Good luck.

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Thinking about the logistics of operating the layout at shows (first one booked for October) I've decided that the control panel needs to be attached to the layout proper.

So it  will hang on the end above the entry to the fiddleyard and will be removable. It will be used when operating to layout at shows whilst sitting in front of or at the rear of the fiddleyard. Usually I make the box, paint the facia black and then paint the track plan onto it.

Saw this somewhere on Youtube. Why Have I never thought of this?

Facia plan designed of the PC and printed on Matt Photo Paper. I may laminate it before sticking it to the box. Printed the 'holes', pricked through with a pin and then stamped them out of the print and drilled the facia to match.

Dave

20210319_172932.jpg

20210319_165411.jpg

20210319_165358.jpg

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend's job was to make up some Bufferstop lamps.

First some with two wires for fitting atop of the tubular post and another fitted to the top of an old piece of rail. The rail acting as the negative terminal.

20210404_104630.jpg

20210404_104639.jpg

20210404_101909.jpg

20210404_101909.jpg

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. 00 DCC Sound will be at the Farnham Club Show, Aldershot 9/10 October 2021
  • dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. 00 DCC Sound D&E Era. A forgotten corner of South London
  • 2 weeks later...