Bachmann JJA Autoballaster to HQA conversion

Good evening to all,

i really like the current Network Rail autoballasters (HQA) in the original Railtrack colours with the long blue patches over the Railtrack wording and the addition of small Network Rail logos on white background. 

I was looking to rework my set of 5 JJAs into this livery but then discovered that the HQA is a different beast with different bogies.

Does anyone know if JJAs carried this livery please? I have scoured the internet and can only find them with the blue patch but no NR logos or the later one with the side panels painted yellow and with black NR logos.

Alternatively, does anyone produce the Axle-Motion III bogies in kit form which could be used to convert JJA to HQA please?

Many thanks 

John

12 hours ago, 37501 said:

Good evening to all,

i really like the current Network Rail autoballasters (HQA) in the original Railtrack colours with the long blue patches over the Railtrack wording and the addition of small Network Rail logos on white background. 

I was looking to rework my set of 5 JJAs into this livery but then discovered that the HQA is a different beast with different bogies.

Does anyone know if JJAs carried this livery please? I have scoured the internet and can only find them with the blue patch but no NR logos or the later one with the side panels painted yellow and with black NR logos.

Alternatively, does anyone produce the Axle-Motion III bogies in kit form which could be used to convert JJA to HQA please?

Many thanks 

John

Have a look here:

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/J-/JJA-GERS-Autoballasters/

I have just finished doing a set of 5 JJAs in the Network Yellow with the black logo. 

• Like 1

Thank you. Some excellent photos there for reference. Unfortunately none with the Network Rail logos, although the long blue stripe with no logo is growing on me...

Your yellow JJAs look great.

Best wishes

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

I think the answer is no: I’d looked into it and I couldn’t find any full yellow JJAs; only ex-Railtrack ones or the ones produced above.

As I recall, George at S-Kits produces the bogies. A guy on YouTube and Facebook called 'Watermills Yard' used them to good effect to replace the Dapol JNA bogies. The latter may also be available as spares from Dapol as they’re used under a few of their wagons. I’d thought about the conversion too, which is still on the cards as I’ve acquired a rake of 5 JJAs. There are some other differences to note such as knuckle couplers on all wagons apart from the outer ends of a 5 wagon set, and also some small pieces of sheet metal at the end of the chutes which fold up.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jack.

Off the top of my head the visible variations between JJA and HQA are

HQA fixed sets of 5, generator at one end and buckeyes on connections within the set. 

JJA individual loose wagons with buffers both ends, sets of 5 but generator can be anywhere in the set. Can also run as sets of 1,2,3 or 4 if required, but not often seen.

Floodlights are different between the two types

JJA have brackets where the old door opening gear was fitted on the flat lower panel when they were KPA hoppers. HQA have smooth panels on the lower bodyside.

The centre three wagons on most (not all!) HQA sets have chutes fitted to enable ballast to be dropped further out from the wagon if required. From memory I think it's the NR buff ones with chutes and the yellow and ex Metronet ones that don't.

Some JJA have cut down flat tops, again a throwback to a mod when they were KPA wagons. All HQA have curved tops.

JJA have Y25 fabricated frame bogies and body mounted handbrake wheels, HQA have NACO Axle Motion III and bogie mounted handbrake wheels.

Hope this is useful

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1