Your experience with colour light signals?

Hi All,

I am starting to plan signals for my 12ft x 8ft soon to be built layout. The scenic area that will be signaled is some 12ft x 4ft with a double track main line, a branch, up and down goods loops and a small yard.

Although my layout is set in along the WR main line from Paddington in 1962, because I also want to model later periods I am pretending that the 1963 resignalling took place a year earlier so my main line etc. will have colour light signals and the branch GWR semaphores, which will be removed for later period operation.

So my question is:- I like Berko (the new range, not the old type), and Absolote Aspects. What are users experience of these manufacturers products?

Many thanks

Paul,

• RMweb Gold

I use a mixture of CR signals, Berko, and Roger Murray...aka absolute aspects....

CR signals i use for my GPLs purely because they are cheap look reasonably good and are very easy to install, whilst not as aesthetically good on eye as the AA signal shown above, they are cheap and are not commonly seen on the layout.

For my station signals i use a pair of Berko cranked signals, mainly because they were cheap and ready to plant... i also use a 3 aspect for that reason.

The other signals i use are either roger murray or absolute aspects....these signals are not plain signals they are either gantries, double feathered or have a theatre box or....a PLS on the post, so are not available out of the box, excellent build quality they do look very good...but this is reflected in the price and they are very very expensive...however they do come with a no nonsense control board which does not require any solder, just a hole drilled in the board for the signal (size depends on how many toys the signal is fitted with).

All the other types i use require you to wire them yourself with a resistor and wiring blocks.

i dont use DCC for my signals i control them manually using a permanently wired rotary switch from express models and a toggle switch for the feathers and PLS signals.

Dont forget train-tronics....but if you want a double feather you are limited to CR signals or Absolute Aspects.

• RMweb Premium

I've used Train Tech signals on Herculaneum Dock with excellent results. The automatic 2 aspect signals on the Overhead Railway (heavily modified from the standard ones) work almost perfectly, only needing to be connected to the DCC track supply and one wire between signals. The CLC ones are controlled conventionally fro switches but work very well.

Carlisle has a couple of old Roger Murray ones, the rest from Absolute Aspects - they mostly do what they should do but some of the more complex ones are proving a little fragile.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

7 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I've used Train Tech signals [...] with excellent results.

I would agree with that. I use DCC control throughout and their (partially) ready assembled singnals are provided with a DCC chip.  Work faultlessly - but perhaps not the most beautiful representations or appropriate for all regions.  HOWEVER if you are on a budget they are good for most purposes.  Their GPLS are also good.  I have some CR Signals GPLS which are also good - but you have to provide the DCC control separately.

Mind you, if you have the money, and the patience to wait for the delivery lead times - go to Absolute Aspects, their stuff is amazing.  And add the cost of DCC control.

I have not used CR Signals standard colour light signals myself - but friends have used them and are very satified with them.  They don't do Route Indicators, but will tailor "feathers" and PLS to your requirements.

I use CR signals for post and ground. They are very good and well priced. The led faces are blank unless lit and the colours are prototypical, particularly the green aspect - unlike Berko. The scaling is good, there is a range of feathers and they are made of brass.

Delivery is within a few days too.